Students

The RYERSON UNIVERSITY thread

Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1673 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have advice for the FIN 501 final exam? What are the areas that tend to be more heavily represented on the exam (as there are 17 chapters, 40 questions..)

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11645 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Financials wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2014 7:18 pm
Anyone have advice for the FIN 501 final exam? What are the areas that tend to be more heavily represented on the exam (as there are 17 chapters, 40 questions..)<br />
<br />
Thanks!
<br />
<br />
Usually emphasizes the post midterm material.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6804 posts
291 upvotes
York
Does Ryerson have any residency requirements besides keeping a minimum GPA for the Business Management program? AKA, must take 50% of courses at Ryerson... must do 50% of your major courses at Ryerson, something like that?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1700 posts
309 upvotes
Scarborough
sportsaholic wrote:
Aug 4th, 2014 5:54 pm
Hello,

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I am taking the following courses online over the next two years. How do the exams work ? Are you supervised? Has anyone taken these courses and is available for tutoring? Can I pay anyone for notes? If this goes against the code of conduct I don't want to risk any punishment.

ITM 200
ITM 301
ITM 305
ITM 350
ITM 410
ITM 500
ITM 750
I've taken all those courses before and i'm assuming you're in the BTM program?

Exams are usually in class either by paper or on Blackboard (your computer). Your prof is supervising the class and there may be another person to help out with supervising.

Most of the classes you listed will probably have exams on Blackboard with multiple choice questions and few short answers. ITM200 will likely be a written or short answer test since it's coding.

Perhaps try asking fellow classmates for notes?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1673 upvotes
Toronto
dankup wrote:
Aug 5th, 2014 1:13 pm
Does Ryerson have any residency requirements besides keeping a minimum GPA for the Business Management program? AKA, must take 50% of courses at Ryerson... must do 50% of your major courses at Ryerson, something like that?
uh, how would you get accepted to residence being a part time student? I wasnt sure that was available given that its usually a waiting list based on just FT first year students.

also, why would you want to pay residence fees and live in a *****ty place value wise if you wont be in class with many of the students around your building, would be a little weird imo. just get an apartment.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6804 posts
291 upvotes
York
Financials wrote:
Aug 5th, 2014 2:17 pm
uh, how would you get accepted to residence being a part time student? I wasnt sure that was available given that its usually a waiting list based on just FT first year students.

also, why would you want to pay residence fees and live in a *****ty place value wise if you wont be in class with many of the students around your building, would be a little weird imo. just get an apartment.
Residency requirements are specific rules set out by the university that make students take a certain number of courses AT that school before they are allowed to get their degree FROM that school.

For example, York's residency requirements state that if a student wants to get a degree FROM York, they need to not only maintain a certain GPA, but also take a minimum of 10 courses at York, and have 50% of their major courses taken at York as well. I know Ryerson has a minimum GPA to maintain to stay in the BM program. I'm wondering if there are any other rules.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1673 upvotes
Toronto
dankup wrote:
Aug 5th, 2014 2:37 pm
Residency requirements are specific rules set out by the university that make students take a certain number of courses AT that school before they are allowed to get their degree FROM that school.

For example, York's residency requirements state that if a student wants to get a degree FROM York, they need to not only maintain a certain GPA, but also take a minimum of 10 courses at York, and have 50% of their major courses taken at York as well. I know Ryerson has a minimum GPA to maintain to stay in the BM program. I'm wondering if there are any other rules.
ahh okay, i thought you were talking about residence cause its that time of year where the waiting list kids come out lol

i BELIEVE its 50% of major courses also, but im not positive.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6804 posts
291 upvotes
York
Financials wrote:
Aug 5th, 2014 2:40 pm
ahh okay, i thought you were talking about residence cause its that time of year where the waiting list kids come out lol

i BELIEVE its 50% of major courses also, but im not positive.
Thanks man I'll keep it mind and call to see. Which number should I dial? Is there a specific dept. I need to be calling or the general line is fine?
Nov 25, 2013
30 posts
3 upvotes
jono454 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2014 1:23 pm
I've taken all those courses before and i'm assuming you're in the BTM program?

Exams are usually in class either by paper or on Blackboard (your computer). Your prof is supervising the class and there may be another person to help out with supervising.

Most of the classes you listed will probably have exams on Blackboard with multiple choice questions and few short answers. ITM200 will likely be a written or short answer test since it's coding.

Perhaps try asking fellow classmates for notes?
Thanks. How difficult are these courses? I have no background in IT and I want to take two courses at a time while working full time. Do you think I will manage? I know it depends on the person but what was your experience like? How many hours did you study per course?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1700 posts
309 upvotes
Scarborough
sportsaholic wrote:
Aug 5th, 2014 5:40 pm
Thanks. How difficult are these courses? I have no background in IT and I want to take two courses at a time while working full time. Do you think I will manage? I know it depends on the person but what was your experience like? How many hours did you study per course?
Most of the courses if you have some common sense and read the slides + key points from the textbooks you should be fine.

However for ITM200 i believe it's a Java course so your grades for that course really depend how fast you pick up Java. I personally sucked at it so I got by with a C-...which in my standards is a B- lol.

The same thing applies for ITM500 since it's a SQL based course so your grades depend how well you can query. I also sucked at it and passed with a D- lol. I also use SQL everyday at my job haha.
Nov 25, 2013
30 posts
3 upvotes
jono454 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2014 8:48 pm
Most of the courses if you have some common sense and read the slides + key points from the textbooks you should be fine.

However for ITM200 i believe it's a Java course so your grades for that course really depend how fast you pick up Java. I personally sucked at it so I got by with a C-...which in my standards is a B- lol.

The same thing applies for ITM500 since it's a SQL based course so your grades depend how well you can query. I also sucked at it and passed with a D- lol. I also use SQL everyday at my job haha.
Are you a DBA?
Nov 25, 2013
30 posts
3 upvotes
jono454 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2014 9:30 pm
IT Business Analyst
and what do you think are the most valuable skills for this kind of role?