The RYERSON UNIVERSITY thread

Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
scott91 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2015 5:13 pm
I did notice that, and clicked yes on open enrollment day. What delay were you having? On my osap site it says "Your funding can be released at any time but it is being held up ..." and under checklist it says school must confirm. The date I see is Dec 27. Dunno whats going on, but I remember last year some of my friends were having trouble with Ryerson confirming.
it was suppose to get updated over the past day or two from that state, osap was having issues. check it again right now to make sure.
Sep 7, 2010
31 posts
1 upvote
Financials wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2015 6:59 pm
it was suppose to get updated over the past day or two from that state, osap was having issues. check it again right now to make sure.
no luck, Im guessing you had the same issue? The school's supposed to open on Monday, hopefully they'll fix it then. Im hoping I dont have to stand in line for an hour to get this fixed, lol. anyways thanks man.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11891 posts
1783 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Man there really is a lack of 4th year, Group 1 finance courses to take this semester. There's only FIN 621, FIN 707, FIN 731, and FIN 812. Anyone know if I can take the equivalent of FIN 710 or FIN 711 elsewhere given such a short notice?

Btw, does anyone have any experience with David Nickerson? He has only one review and it's screaming avoid.
RichsAccount wrote:
Dec 25th, 2014 11:43 am
Can anyone share their experiences with Anthony Power for BUS800?
Interested in this as well. So far, RMP has only two reviews. Considering taking BUS 800 in spring/summer because it's such a bothersome and crazy course..

How does my schedule look like if it's like this? I think it's the best I can do given what little choice I have?

FIN 707 with David Nickerson
FIN 621 with Sergiy Rakhmayil
FIN 812 with Staff
BUS 800 with Knud Jensen.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3026 posts
330 upvotes
Richmond Hill
superman008 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2015 7:14 pm
Anyone take Yuanshan Li for an online FIN401 course?
Well, it's online. There's nothing really to expect out of the prof.
Only problem is that you better do well on the final exam, because you have to pass the final to pass the course...and I believe it is weighted at 60%, with lyryx at 15% and midterm at 25% (or it's the other way around or 20%/20%, I don't remember)

Yeah, you won't learn much tbh, I would rather go with a non-online course just so you're clear on what you're doing. But some Chang school profs make this course a nightmare...Michael Chung is one example, and I believe he is still teaching that course.
If you can get Melissa Toffanin, you will be ridiculously prepared for the midterm and finals since she seems to be the only prof that offers final exam review classes. Downside is that you have to spend money buying a clicker because she has clicker quizzes every class.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
1862 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2015 10:12 pm
Man there really is a lack of 4th year, Group 1 finance courses to take this semester. There's only FIN 621, FIN 707, FIN 731, and FIN 812. Anyone know if I can take the equivalent of FIN 710 or FIN 711 elsewhere given such a short notice?

Btw, does anyone have any experience with David Nickerson? He has only one review and it's screaming avoid.

Interested in this as well. So far, RMP has only two reviews. Considering taking BUS 800 in spring/summer because it's such a bothersome and crazy course..

How does my schedule look like if it's like this? I think it's the best I can do given what little choice I have?

FIN 707 with David Nickerson
FIN 621 with Sergiy Rakhmayil
FIN 812 with Staff
BUS 800 with Knud Jensen.
No point. It's easy if you look at it from a systematic POV where you divide each part of the report and allocate minutes. For the group projects where you have the case book, it takes like 20 mins do you your part of the appendix (like 6 subsections so 1 per person) and like 30 mins of your part for the report since you are just spewing case facts into point form, which isn't exactly too hard.

The final project is longer but you could do it in literally a day or a and get a good mark. I typed up the full report in like 6 cumulative hours (probably less) and got an A . Just pick a big enough company that a lot of info is available and it takes 10 mins to Google information. Then it takes like 20 mins each per appendix section and then 1-2 hours for the case analysis. You could do it in a 9am-5pm time period.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
This is my schedule, what do you guys think?

FIN 205
FIN 521
FIN 707
FIN 701
REM 420
RMG 200

I might want to swap RMG for a table b liberal to get one out the way, based on schedule times I am left looking at ...

GEO 530 - Urban Economic Geography w/ Philip Coppack
GEO 609 - cyberspace@geography.ca w/ Jeanne Maurer
GEO 631 - Exploration in Travel and Tourism w/ Larry Fullerton

anyone have experience with these profs / courses ? better yet both?

ill probably start semester off with 7 courses and drop lowest mark after midterms.
Dec 29, 2014
5 posts
Scarborough, ON
POL 128 - Politics and Film (JOSEPH ZBORALSKI)
PCS 181 - Introduction to Astronomy (MARGARET BUCKBY)

Which one of the two is easier/better?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11891 posts
1783 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ireap18 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 12:38 pm
POL 128 - Politics and Film (JOSEPH ZBORALSKI)
PCS 181 - Introduction to Astronomy (MARGARET BUCKBY)

Which one of the two is easier/better?
PCS 181 by far.
Dec 29, 2014
5 posts
Scarborough, ON
Anyone able to give thoughts on MUS 505 / Gillian Turnbull
Seems like a good course.

MUS 505 with turnbull
PCS 181 with buckby
GEO 605 with atkinson
CHY 182 with petroff

^which are top 3 ?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1209 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
ireap18 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 4:10 pm
Anyone able to give thoughts on MUS 505 / Gillian Turnbull
Seems like a good course.

MUS 505 with turnbull
PCS 181 with buckby
GEO 605 with atkinson
CHY 182 with petroff

^which are top 3 ?
If your taking astronomy take it with peter luca in chang this semester.

On the first day of class he tells you he hates math. The class has no math in it aside from one formula that involves gravity, But theres only like 2 of those questoins on the tests.

I took it with him last year and got a 4.33.

There are 2 tests and 1 essay on a planet or anything in space.
Dont' remember if there was anything else.
--

I heard in the day school astronomy with buckby you do a lot of math / calculations and stuff .

---

I'm taking chy 182 with petroff this semester. many of my friends have taken it and have gotten grades ranging from 3.67 - 4.33 with no sweat.
They tell me it's like high school chem
Apr 20, 2012
51 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Hey guys,

Just wondering if it'd be possible to transfer into Ryerson's business management program if I've been withdrawn from Wilfrid Laurier University's BBA program. I've completed 19 credits at Laurier (mostly As and Bs).

Would anybody here know if it's possible? I've already contacted the registrar's office; just waiting on their response now.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
MostTrustedBrand wrote:
Jan 4th, 2015 2:17 am
Hey guys,

Just wondering if it'd be possible to transfer into Ryerson's business management program if I've been withdrawn from Wilfrid Laurier University's BBA program. I've completed 19 credits at Laurier (mostly As and Bs).

Would anybody here know if it's possible? I've already contacted the registrar's office; just waiting on their response now.
19 credits, mostly a and bs?

what the hell were you withdrawn for? from the minimal details provided, i can only presume academic misconduct and that will probably hurt your chances elsewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
1337rice wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 9:13 pm
Did you not read me and geokilla's rant about her on the last page?
oh ***** lol, dropped! i dont know why that didnt click in