Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2008
1830 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Ryobi batteries... cheapest option?

I am looking for the cheapest way to get several ryobi batteries...

I know that the best option is the $68 drill Kit but it's no longer available...

one other option is the two pack of 4ah batteries for $119

third option is one of the $129 kits (drill/impact or drill/saw)

I'm sure lots of people bought the $35 impact driver and are in the same boat... I already have a complete mileaukee M12 Fuel and M18 fuel setup so not looking to break the bank...

just want the following tools and a couple batteries... if I have to buy a kit to get the batteries then sell a couple bare tools I'm cool with that... here's the 18v tools I want

ryobi string trimmer
ryobi fan
ryobi impact driver (got one for $35)

thx
7 replies
Jan 22, 2014
763 posts
577 upvotes
Since you need a trimmer, your best option is to find a good deal on a trimmer which comes with batteries.

p.s. The Dewalt 20v trimmer is very good. Bought the display model last year for $120 and I really like it (I know you want Ryobi because of the impact wrench).
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
Are you sure you do not want to take it back (or sell it) and get a M12/M18 impact driver? If you are already invested into the M12/M18 battery setup, maybe it's best to just continue with it? I find it a hassle to have multiple brands of cordless tools because it means multiple types of batteries, multiple chargers, etc. You've already invested in an expensive set of tools (M12/M18) so why not take advantage of that?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I'd get the pair of 4ah batteries.
I have like 12 drills now.
Even if you could find the drill kit, it comes with the small battery.
4ah batteries are like twice the size.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2008
1830 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
thx for all the replies.. I think I should consider trying to stick with Milwaukee... but it's hard to turn down some of these ryobi deals...

I was able to get a trimmer with battery and charger for $39 (they mixed up another order so gave me a discount...

since I got the trimmer w/small battery and charger so cheap it's very tempting to get a couple more batteries

it seems that the two pack of 4ah batteries at $119 is going to be the best route... I could wait for a deal like $99 for a two piece Kit w/two batteries includes but they would be the smallest batteries which are prob. not worth it

I suspect there is no point in doing that as I would not be able to get anything on reselling the bare tools.. I know Milwaukee bare tools sell well on kijiji but I doubt ryobi bare drills / saws ect sell very well at all on kijiji since the kits with batteries are so cheap...

I think I'll get the two pack of 4ah batteries

I wish Milwaukee made string trimmers... the dewalt one is nice but my lawn is tiny so it's not worth the $$$ of a dewalt one
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2013
1402 posts
617 upvotes
EDMONTON
OP I have to say after having rigid, dewalt, and ryobi tools I wish I would have completely skipped wasting time and money on ryobi. 3 of my 3 ryobi batteries are crap now with probably less than 20 charges on each. 2 of them won't charge at all and 1 of them charges but runs at what seems like 20% capacity. I have 2 ryobi drills, one of them just stopped working one day the other one has been through a lot and works okay but the battery issue is not worth it. My ryobi reciprocating saw is a little bitch compared to other cordless ones.

Everything dewalt I've ever owned works as good as the day I bought it and I am not gentle with my tools (not proud of this fact but I am clumsy as hell and my impact driver, drill have been dropped off ladders 9-10 feet up onto concrete MANY times and my dws780 dual bevel melts anything it touches even with a 3 year old blade and massive use.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2008
1830 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Piddles wrote: OP I have to say after having rigid, dewalt, and ryobi tools I wish I would have completely skipped wasting time and money on ryobi. 3 of my 3 ryobi batteries are crap now with probably less than 20 charges on each. 2 of them won't charge at all and 1 of them charges but runs at what seems like 20% capacity. I have 2 ryobi drills, one of them just stopped working one day the other one has been through a lot and works okay but the battery issue is not worth it. My ryobi reciprocating saw is a little bitch compared to other cordless ones.

Everything dewalt I've ever owned works as good as the day I bought it and I am not gentle with my tools (not proud of this fact but I am clumsy as hell and my impact driver, drill have been dropped off ladders 9-10 feet up onto concrete MANY times and my dws780 dual bevel melts anything it touches even with a 3 year old blade and massive use.
thx, you have some good points... I used to have dewalt with the old style 18v batteries... the Kit lasted me around 10 years and worked perfectly up until the day I kijiji'd it...

I switched to mikwaukee because I liked the versatility of the tools. Ryobi is tempting because of the deals but I guess you get what you pay for... I haven't bought the batteries yet so I will think on it some more

thx!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Piddles wrote: OP I have to say after having rigid, dewalt, and ryobi tools I wish I would have completely skipped wasting time and money on ryobi.
I feel the exact opposite.
If you're a pro grade contractor then sure, showing up with green tools is going to be like wat.

But if you're like me that uses a drill like once a year they're just fine.

No point in spending twice the price on a thing i'm going to use like 20 times ever.

I have a ton of Ryobi tools that I've used under 5 times but it's still cheaper than renting and certainly cheaper than buying "brand name"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)