Tags:
[OP]
Jul 24, 2007
15 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver

S&P500 ETF's

Hi folks,

I'm looking to add an S&P500 ETF to my portfolio. I've narrowed my search down to two Vanguard ETF's: VSP (Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF CAD-hedged) and VFV (Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF unhedged). I looked at Vanguard's website and it shows that VFV has total net assets of $1.446 billion while VSP only has net assets of $0.571 billion ($571 million), so clearly retail investors favour VFV. I looked at the performance over the past 5 years and VFV comes out ahead too because it is unhedged, so it benefitted from the drop in the Canadian dollar's value (relative to USD). Here is a chart of VFV, VSP, and the S&P500 index...

As you can see, VSP (the hedged ETF in green) tracks very closely to the actual S&P500 (blue line), but VFV (in red) has outperformed in the past 4 years because it benefitted from the Canadian dollar's drop against the USD which started around 2015. VFV would likely UNDERPERFORM if the Canadian dollar strengthens against the USD. Both etf's have the same MER.

I'm having a difficult time picking. Which one would you pick - hedged CAD or unhedged CAD and why? Also what is your favourite S&P500 ETF? Thanks!

Pete
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
1185 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Have VFV. It had the lowest MER when I started buying it - and didn’t want the hedged version (as you noticed, it’s not very popular :))
[OP]
Jul 24, 2007
15 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for sharing freilona and porticoman. Yeah, I think I'll go with VFV and it has the lowest fee in the Canadian ETF market :-).
freilona wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:49 pm
Have VFV. It had the lowest MER when I started buying it - and didn’t want the hedged version (as you noticed, it’s not very popular :))
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2001
1484 posts
293 upvotes
GMA
Technically, XUU is slightly cheaper but it's a Total Market ETF instead of S&P500.
Feb 1, 2012
752 posts
671 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
Since the underlying holdings are the same, the difference is hedging and currency fluctuations, so you should learn about those things.

Canadian Couch Potato has some good blog posts on hedging.
http://canadiancouchpotato.com/?s=hedge
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Jul 1, 2006
304 posts
124 upvotes
If you are in a non-RRSP account, you might also consider https://www.horizonsetfs.com/ETF/HXS - 0.10% MER, and built in DRIP via the nature of the swap based structure so it has no tax drag when purchased outside of an RRSP. Can also be purchased in $US (HXS.U) or $CAD (HXS) and can be journaled between the two currencies.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2007
15 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for sharing sckor. HXS has some intresting features, but it has a higher MER than VFV or VSP, which are both at 0.08%.
Oct 19, 2016
500 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting that XUU (ishares) charges less fee than VUN (vanguard) for the same etf while the VSP (vanguard CAD hedged) is similar to XUU in fee.

Thanh wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:57 pm
Technically, XUU is slightly cheaper but it's a Total Market ETF instead of S&P500.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
1315 posts
150 upvotes
sckor wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:41 pm
If you are in a non-RRSP account, you might also consider https://www.horizonsetfs.com/ETF/HXS - 0.10% MER, and built in DRIP via the nature of the swap based structure so it has no tax drag when purchased outside of an RRSP. Can also be purchased in $US (HXS.U) or $CAD (HXS) and can be journaled between the two currencies.
HXS will also have a drag up to .3% due to swap fees that won't be taken into account in the MER. It's basically a wash with respect to savings on witholding taxes. The plus side is that there are no distributions so it benefits from compounding automatically.
Jul 1, 2006
304 posts
124 upvotes
telemachus wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 1:10 am
Thanks for sharing sckor. HXS has some intresting features, but it has a higher MER than VFV or VSP, which are both at 0.08%.
Yep - that's part of the reason I mentioned non-RRSP account (though at 0.02-0.05% additional expense unless we are talking a $2M portfolio, it isn't going to matter much).

The big win for non-RRSP accounts is no distributions so there are no concerns with foreign withholding taxes or ACB calculations. In addition, the built in DRIP for compounding is nice. If you are in an RRSP, then none of those features really matter. Though I'd still consider it for a TFSA since the foreign withholding taxes on the distributions from VFV or VSP will not be recoverable and that alone would likely more than make up for the minor MER differences.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
7949 posts
787 upvotes
What nobody's mentioned yet, where it comes to hedging: The CAD is a risk currency, the USD is a safety currency. When the global markets get scared, they flee to the USD and it goes up relative to the CAD. When the economy's doing well and markets are taking more risk, the USD goes down.

This is freakin' awesome for Canadian investors, as it's automatic built in risk management, and it's FREE! I don't know why someone in their right mind would want to buy the hedged version UNLESS we were at parity today... maybe.

Look what holding an unhedged U.S. equity ETF did back in 2008... The S&P500 was down 50-some percent, but the CAD also went down from parity to around 85 cents. A Canadian investing in U.S. only lost around 30-something percent.
Money Smarts Blog wrote:
Nov 29th, 2010 11:18 am
I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1638 posts
675 upvotes
Calgary
Thanh wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:57 pm
Thank you. Over the last few years I haven’t been paying attention that much to products, but it’s nice to see something that is cheap and a broader index of the US market.
Indexer, non-yield chasing, low cost, broad based, as simple as possible investor.
Feb 8, 2018
4 posts
1 upvote
Look what holding an unhedged U.S. equity ETF did back in 2008... The S&P500 was down 50-some percent, but the CAD also went down from parity to around 85 cents. A Canadian investing in U.S. only lost around 30-something percent.

Market has been doing well lately, still 1CAD = 0.7-0.8 USD
CAD follows oil prices.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27825 posts
1919 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thalo wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 11:57 pm
What nobody's mentioned yet, where it comes to hedging: The CAD is a risk currency, the USD is a safety currency. When the global markets get scared, they flee to the USD and it goes up relative to the CAD. When the economy's doing well and markets are taking more risk, the USD goes down.

This is freakin' awesome for Canadian investors, as it's automatic built in risk management, and it's FREE! I don't know why someone in their right mind would want to buy the hedged version UNLESS we were at parity today... maybe.

you mean we should be buying VFV today and not VSP? the likely hood of CDN go up against the USD is higher than going down. if you buy VFV, do you have to convert CAD into USD to buy? Or does it buy using CAD value straight up but the shares are traded in USD?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

RCML27