Computers & Electronics

Is it s PS3 backwards compatible model (launch model) safe to buy used?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2017 11:16 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1325 posts
116 upvotes

Is it s PS3 backwards compatible model (launch model) safe to buy used?

im looking at the ps3. the launch model that can play ps1 andps2 games.

found one on kijjiji for 200 dollars.

"Sony PlayStation 3 First Edition CECH-A01 3.55"

guy sais comes with original firmware 3.55. for some reason warned "3.55 original firmware (if you dont know the possibilities of this firmware dont buy)"

is it safe to buy? comes with one controller and power cable and usb cable.
Images
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
  • s-l1600.jpg
24 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18911 posts
4025 upvotes
Thornhill
Launch models PS3's had some issues, I had one but died multiple times with the Yellow Light of Death, got it 'reballed' a few times which gave it life for a few months. Ended up selling it back to the guy fixing it as spare parts, got a decent deal from it since he felt bad I kept coming back lol

Used electronics, its really hard to gauge but some have zero problems.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1325 posts
116 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 9:43 pm
Launch models PS3's had some issues, I had one but died multiple times with the Yellow Light of Death, got it 'reballed' a few times which gave it life for a few months. Ended up selling it back to the guy fixing it as spare parts, got a decent deal from it since he felt bad I kept coming back lol

Used electronics, its really hard to gauge but some have zero problems.
i guess all the backwards compatible ones were launch models?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2641 upvotes
ON
The first generation had issues, but I guess if it's still running now it's likely been fixed already. Yes, only the first model was backwards compatible.

You can buy them refurbished from MTC, who repairs them and warrants them. I'd sooner buy from them than Kijiji.

https://mtcfactoryoutlet.com/product/so ... ompatible/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1325 posts
116 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 10:08 pm
The first generation had issues, but I guess if it's still running now it's likely been fixed already. Yes, only the first model was backwards compatible.

You can buy them refurbished from MTC, who repairs them and warrants them. I'd sooner buy from them than Kijiji.

https://mtcfactoryoutlet.com/product/so ... ompatible/
according to the seller, the console has NEVEr been opened for repairs. its still got the warranty stickers to show if it was ever opened.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2641 upvotes
ON
Then I would not.
Ticking time bomb. Same with a first gen 360.
You could get lucky and it run for years. Or it could fail tomorrow and you need to spend $ on repairs.

I'd get the MTC model, knowing it has been repaired to like new condition by an authorized repair centre that warrants it for 90 days. And is cheaper than the Kijiji ad, lol.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1325 posts
116 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 10:23 pm
Then I would not.
Ticking time bomb. Same with a first gen 360.
You could get lucky and it run for years. Or it could fail tomorrow and you need to spend $ on repairs.

I'd get the MTC model, knowing it has been repaired to like new condition by an authorized repair centre that warrants it for 90 days. And is cheaper than the Kijiji ad, lol.
any reason why ur recomending the MTC placE? i honestly never heard of it till now/googled it now lol
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
2065 posts
1962 upvotes
Quebec
Why bother for 200$? Get yourself a slim ps3 for 70$ and a PS2 for 20$
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2641 upvotes
ON
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 10:47 pm
any reason why ur recomending the MTC placE? i honestly never heard of it till now/googled it now lol
Because I personally have been there and know they're the authorized sony repair centre for playstation (among other products). If anything goes wrong, they'll fix it for you no problem.
They sell many refurbished appliances and electronics that they fix themselves (and open box refurbs that simply can't be sold as new).
And 90 day warranty > kjiji guy's 0 day warranty, for less money.

All of that aside, I'd go with MonsieurX's solution. This model of PS3 has known hardware faults over time, it's much louder than the new versions, and uses more power. It's only unique feature is backwards compatibility, which you can get cheaply by buying a used PS2 on the side.
Jul 1, 2009
707 posts
129 upvotes
Uhh someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that firmware was the last one that you could jailbreak/install custom firmware onto. That's why the seller put that note there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1325 posts
116 upvotes
ghost1001 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 7:26 pm
Uhh someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that firmware was the last one that you could jailbreak/install custom firmware onto. That's why the seller put that note there.
so that shouldnt matter if i dont plan on jailbreaking it
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18189 posts
1495 upvotes
Man, I still have a launch 20GB model that I popped in a 250GB HDD into it right away and then only put in about 40 hours on it total. It's been collecting dust for years now.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Jan 10, 2017
949 posts
396 upvotes
GTA
Don't buy it if you don't want to put it into a super computer.
https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-plays ... puter.html
http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=40851

This is a tinkerer's PS3, not meant for someone who is looking to game with it.
It will also be more likely to cost more or software tinkered with.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1325 posts
116 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 3:17 pm
Don't buy it if you don't want to put it into a super computer.
https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-plays ... puter.html
http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=40851

This is a tinkerer's PS3, not meant for someone who is looking to game with it.
It will also be more likely to cost more or software tinkered with.
So I should buy it from that repair center place the other poster mentioned?