[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
2096 posts
1992 upvotes
Quebec

[STEAM] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl 5$ on Steam

More offers from STEAM
75% off this game the whole week on Steam. :)
20 replies
Apr 27, 2004
969 posts
87 upvotes
Nice price, but I refuse to support DRM-riddled (and internet-only) services like Steam. Give me GoG.com any day.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1322 posts
196 upvotes
EDM Area
archimed wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 4:31 pm
Nice price, but I refuse to support DRM-riddled (and internet-only) services like Steam. Give me GoG.com any day.
Do you mean steam itself or DRM from the publisher? Steam's version of DRM at least adds some value by letting me install it on any PC that steam is installed or giving me the updates as they hit, also when they turn off the switch they will ensure there are no locks on the software. (unlike some other companies that have canceled their service and left people with un-usable media). Also can you not log into steam an play your games you have downloaded offline? (dunno know as I am almost always online with my PC).

Publishers that leave their DRM in a package that is for steam need to be slapped around as they are either greedy or just lazy for leaving even more DRM then is needed.
Oct 6, 2009
130 posts
Markham
nice, thanks OP for the heads up. I'll be getting this.

archimed, will I dont like DRM or agree with it, I think is pretty much the best thing in PC gaming right now and most likely the future of the platform. The DRM is not annoying at all, you dont notice it most of the time.
----------------------------
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2006
7389 posts
489 upvotes
Vancouver
4got10 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 4:50 pm
Do you mean steam itself or DRM from the publisher? Steam's version of DRM at least adds some value by letting me install it on any PC that steam is installed or giving me the updates as they hit, also when they turn off the switch they will ensure there are no locks on the software. (unlike some other companies that have canceled their service and left people with un-usable media). Also can you not log into steam an play your games you have downloaded offline? (dunno know as I am almost always online with my PC).

Publishers that leave their DRM in a package that is for steam need to be slapped around as they are either greedy or just lazy for leaving even more DRM then is needed.
Totally agree. I love Steam DRM. Manages my digital content in a way that works for me =) Yes, you can play single player games offline as long as you've been online with them on that computer before.

Been waiting for this to go on sale again. Buying once I get home.
Dec 14, 2008
676 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
I picked this up for $20 or so on Steam two years ago. Great game. I highly recommend it.
May 12, 2005
570 posts
I gotta agree that Steam's management system works. I've been building up my game collection one 75% sale at a time.

One thing to note is that the Steam version of STALKER:SoC is patched to 1.0005 but most of the multiplayer servers are patched to 1.0006. This is due to a difference between the game developer and the game publisher or something... I'm not sure of the exact details. Just make sure you're getting the Steam version for the single-player game (which is awesome btw!) and not the multiplayer.

Highly recommend this deal!
Apr 27, 2004
969 posts
87 upvotes
4got10 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 4:50 pm
Steam itself. I'm not a fan of *requiring* a client that has to go online to verify my serial# before I'm allowed to play a game that I purchased on physical media. I mean, I could understand if I bought a game through the Steam website and it required the Steam client to verify it occasionally. But when I bought Half-Life 2 and Portal it forced me to register my serial# to a single account before allowing me to play either game. So now I can sell these games to other people (since the serials are permanently linked to my account). That is an awful kind of DRM.

I mentioned GoG.com here because there is ZERO DRM on the games purchased from them. No constant client-server serial checking either. Too bad they don't sell new games. I guess Steam is a middle-ground between zero DRM and the insane DRM a la Electronic Arts.

But I don't want to hijack this thread with a war about DRM so I'll leave it there. $5 for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a nice price regardless of its delivery method ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1322 posts
196 upvotes
EDM Area
archimed wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 5:38 pm

I mentioned GoG.com here because there is ZERO DRM on the games purchased from them. No constant client-server serial checking either. Too bad they don't sell new games. I guess Steam is a middle-ground between zero DRM and the insane DRM a la Electronic Arts.

But I don't want to hijack this thread with a war about DRM so I'll leave it there. $5 for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a nice price regardless of its delivery method ;)
I was lucky and picked it up for $5.00 during the Direct to Drive sale but been soo busy I haven't had a chance to try it yet. What is also kinda nice is that EA removed/disabled their Horrible DRM on products purchased through steam.
Apr 16, 2003
125 posts
Toronto
Been meaning to pick this game up for a long time at a bargain price, but I hate to buy games off Steam. Anyone know where to get a physical copy cheap? Local EB doesn't carry it.
Aug 27, 2008
575 posts
107 upvotes
montreal
Anyone buying and playing this for the first time, do not play without first installing the complete 2009 mod. It makes a game that had problems but lots of potential into the fantastic experience it should have been. Visuals are much improved, and fixed the shooting to make it not a pain to play.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2005
1327 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
ThnX OP. Xlnt game & deal.
Main: i5 3570K @4.6ghz w H100aio / EVGA GTX780soc / MSI Z77AG45 / 16gbGSkill 2400mhz 10.10.10.28 1T / PCP&C 950w / 30" 2560x1600 / P280 / z5300 / APC1400 -- HTPC: nMedia6000 / AMD FX-6350 / GTX970 / Samsung55"4K / z5500
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3205 posts
1574 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
good deal and a good company that supports against piracy like the other dude supports.

I hope the future is more like steam ;)