• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2017 10:56 pm
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
85 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

S vs H for winter tires on a 2017 CRV

My 2017 CRV stock all season tires are rated 104H.

Currently looking at winter tires . They have 108S rated tires and are $10 cheaper per tire. My vehicle is strictly for commuting to work and driving the family around. Considering the slower speeds one tends to drive in winter, would I be ok to downgrade to the S rated tires for Winter, or should I go for the H rated tires for the $10 additional?

Looking at speed charts, I don't hit anywhere near the max speed for either rating.

Thanks
10 replies
Jan 20, 2004
645 posts
91 upvotes
At this point, the speed rating shouldn't be the determining factor. Winter tires usually come with lower speed ratings than non-winter oem specs.

What kind of tires are you comparing? If they happen to be the exact same model tire with only the speed rating difference, then for $10/tire might be worth it to go with the higher speed rating, as higher speed rated tires are built more stringent to meet the higher speeds.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7809 posts
1888 upvotes
Brampton
180KM/H vs 210KM/H. Do you plan on sustaining 180KM/H or 210KM/H often?

Personally i wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's as important to look at the load rating.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
85 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I was looking at Bridgestone - Blizzak DM-V2 (S rating) and Bridgestone - Blizzak WS80 (H Rating) from Costco to take advantage of their promotion. And yeah I have no plans to go anywhere near those speeds I just wanted to make sure I could safely downgrade for the winter. I've read that you can, but I've also read that you should keep with whatever rating came with the stock tires so I wanted to get some opinions before shopping around.

Also not 100% set on Costco. Needing rims too so may shop around for bundles (looking at stores recommended on other threads here on RFD).

Thanks for the help folks
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12077 posts
1888 upvotes
London
I'm not sure Costco will put S tires on in place of H.

It's a liability issue. They are pretty picky about tire load ratings too

Ask them first
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
85 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:16 pm
I'm not sure Costco will put S tires on in place of H.

It's a liability issue. They are pretty picky about tire load ratings too

Ask them first
Noted.

Thanks. If I go with Costco and they want to match the rating I won't throw a fit over the potential $40 extra :)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1393 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm looking for Blizzak WS80 ($$569.96) too for 2017 CRV with steel wheels ($65 each). Isn't too early to install or you can schedule it on November?

comparing it with SimplyTire last year offer
17” Options:
Package
4 x 17” Hubcentric Steel Wheels
4 x Plastic Tire Bags
4 x Mount, Balance and install
Option 8 package with Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 102H - $900.00
[OP]
Nov 3, 2013
85 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
boldventure wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 1:32 am
I'm looking for Blizzak WS80 ($$569.96) too for 2017 CRV with steel wheels ($65 each). Isn't too early to install or you can schedule it on November?

comparing it with SimplyTire last year offer
17” Options:
Package
4 x 17” Hubcentric Steel Wheels
4 x Plastic Tire Bags
4 x Mount, Balance and install
Option 8 package with Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 102H - $900.00
I ended up with Blizzak DM-V2 from Costco (approx $771 with promo after tax/install). I ended up just financing rims from crappy tire (approx $307). $25/mo for a year interest free and no fee means one less bigger expense now (insurance renewal,birthdays and xmas on the horizon)

Costco books up to a month out so I'm booked for install on Nov 1st. And the tech on site there told me for winter tires Costco usually will go down a speed rating (DM-V2 has an S rating vs my all season's H rating) just as an FYI for anyone wondering.

Yes I probably would have saved a bit if I shopped around, but I don't see the difference being substantial. I have Costco's 5 year warranty etc...

..oh and laziness :)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1393 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dnavia wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 3:16 pm
I ended up with Blizzak DM-V2 from Costco (approx $771 with promo after tax/install). I ended up just financing rims from crappy tire (approx $307). $25/mo for a year interest free and no fee means one less bigger expense now (insurance renewal,birthdays and xmas on the horizon)

Costco books up to a month out so I'm booked for install on Nov 1st. And the tech on site there told me for winter tires Costco usually will go down a speed rating (DM-V2 has an S rating vs my all season's H rating) just as an FYI for anyone wondering.

Yes I probably would have saved a bit if I shopped around, but I don't see the difference being substantial. I have Costco's 5 year warranty etc...

..oh and laziness :)
I got Pirelli Winter Ice Zero instead from SimplyTire
Jan 22, 2008
474 posts
26 upvotes
Whichever industry or government official approved use of the term "speed rating" should be retroactively fired, striped of their pension & benefits and fined a good chunk of their career earnings for labeling a safety standard in a way which is so open to flawed logic & misapplication.Angry Face