Cell Phones

Is it safe to buy a used Samsung S8 from someone locally with a receipt from Bell

  • Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2017 5:44 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 24, 2008
854 posts
2 upvotes

Is it safe to buy a used Samsung S8 from someone locally with a receipt from Bell

Hi to all

Came across a decent deal on CL locally and the seller told me the phone got from his plan contract and he has the receipt to prove his ownership. Just say if we meet at Bell and ensure he has a good standing with BEell, will I still be possible to get this phone to be Black-list down the road ?

Please kindly advise ASAP.
Trade with me 100% confidence and my feedback on RedFlagDeals, eBay and Revscene.net :

Feedback on RedFlagDeals.com

Feedback on EBay.com

REVScene Feedback Ratings
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
1894 posts
82 upvotes
NO.. unless its from RFD with enough feedbacks dont do it seriously...
saving additional $50~100 is not worth it, trust me on this
KOODO $48 MB PLAN SINCE 2015
FEEDBACK:HEATWARE
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
15904 posts
949 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'm sure others will say they've had good luck buying private but the keyword here is, luck.

If you think it's worth testing your luck to save $XXX go for it.

As posted many times NOTHING stops sller from Blacklisting it. It could be days or months, sealed with receipt means nothing.
Last edited by bembol on May 19th, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
11818 posts
882 upvotes
Toronto
It will not make any difference if you or the seller call Bell or go to a Bell store.
Last edited by audit13 on May 19th, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Nov 22, 2012
334 posts
90 upvotes
The only reason they would blacklist the phone is if the person has bought insurance for the phone and is interested in claiming it lost/stolen to get a new phone (this is illegal and information can be sent to police). Literally, ask him if the phone is insured and if he acts in any way nervous or odd then I would just leave.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 9, 2010
817 posts
172 upvotes
Waterloo
I'm with Rogers and when I buy phones I meet at the store and have the IMEI registered on my account under my line before handing money over. I know for a fact it works the same way at Fido as well; with Bell I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same thing.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
11818 posts
882 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure that registering the imei will prevent blacklisting if the person that registers the imei is not the owner. Also, registering a bell imei on a non-Bell account may not help.
Sr. Member
Sep 4, 2016
655 posts
300 upvotes
Exactly how much would you be saving?

It's a hot new flagship, so if it is a fully legitimate phone surely the seller wants to sell it for close to retail this close to launch.

Is it worth the running around (let alone the massive risk) to save a few dollars?

On the other hand, if the seller is already offering a deep discount, you might want to fallback on the traditional: 'If it seems too good to be true, it probably is'.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1108 posts
165 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
PressureBoom wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:02 pm
I'm with Rogers and when I buy phones I meet at the store and have the IMEI registered on my account under my line before handing money over. I know for a fact it works the same way at Fido as well; with Bell I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same thing.
This.

Once the IMEI is transferred into our name, he cannot report it stolen.

Also have the seller show you that the device is paid for an his account is up-to-date.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 20, 2012
694 posts
89 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Isnt there enough of these threads on here.. Isnt it comment sense thats its BUYER BEWARE when buying stuff off craigslist, kijiji, etc..

Meet up at an authorized bell store and make sure the phone is PROPERLY transferred out of his account.. Even if he sells you the phone, he can report it lost because the IMEI is REGISTERED under his account.
Fido $40
Unlimited Province-Wide Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 4GB Data and 1000minute Long distant calling
32GB Gold Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge + 128GB MicroSD card
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1615 posts
751 upvotes
robertz wrote:
May 20th, 2017 5:38 am
This.

Once the IMEI is transferred into our name, he cannot report it stolen.

Also have the seller show you that the device is paid for an his account is up-to-date.
That's not true at all. A phone can still be blacklisted even if you register the IMEI to your account. It becomes much more unlikely if the seller is willing to go through all the steps to get it transferred over, but there's still a chance. It's also possible to fake an IMEI.
Sr. Member
Sep 4, 2016
655 posts
300 upvotes
gd6noob wrote:
May 20th, 2017 9:33 am
Isnt there enough of these threads on here.
It's a close race between 'should I buy this questionable phone threads' & 'I bought a questionable phone and got ripped off threads'.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1137 posts
504 upvotes
jjs0891 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:00 pm
The only reason they would blacklist the phone is if the person has bought insurance for the phone and is interested in claiming it lost/stolen to get a new phone (this is illegal and information can be sent to police). Literally, ask him if the phone is insured and if he acts in any way nervous or odd then I would just leave.
Not really, some people just want to watch the world burn and blacklist your phone just for funsies. Bell is also notorious for blacklisting phones if the person didn't pay their bill. Plus you also don't know if the guy used a fraud identity to get the phones. Won't know until 3 months later or when someone reports it.
PressureBoom wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:02 pm
I'm with Rogers and when I buy phones I meet at the store and have the IMEI registered on my account under my line before handing money over. I know for a fact it works the same way at Fido as well; with Bell I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same thing.
Not true at all. There's actually no such thing as "registering", all it's doing is just putting the IMEI on file so Rogers know what phone you're using, it actually automatically does it first time you insert your SIM. Still doesn't really make you the owner. If the phone was flagged as fraud or stolen, your phone is going to the blacklist system.
robertz wrote:
May 20th, 2017 5:38 am
This.

Once the IMEI is transferred into our name, he cannot report it stolen.

Also have the seller show you that the device is paid for an his account is up-to-date.
Even if his account is up to date and device is paid for, there's still a chance he'll report it stolen later.
Current Fido customer. Great to be a Fido Customer.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1108 posts
165 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
bomber17 wrote:
May 21st, 2017 12:44 am
Even if his account is up to date and device is paid for, there's still a chance he'll report it stolen later.
So you ask Bell to transfer the device into your name - your account - and he can still report the device stolen? That makes no sense, and it also hasn't been my experience.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel

Top