Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
35 upvotes
Scarborough

Safe to eat frozen fish from China?

I noticed this week that the frozen fish (plain in plastic bags or crumbed in boxes) in the supermarkets come from China or Indonesia.

Just wondering if it's safe to eat, and if anyone has heard anything about the imported fish (else where else to get cheap fish)?
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6625 posts
1248 upvotes
Toronto
Frozen Fish? I think it will be v.crunchy (since its frozen) .... fine fine, i will stop with the lame jokes :)

I think health canada regulates everytthing thats comes into Canada. If its in big supermarket, I would assume its safe to eat.
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters ... until its solved.
Stay in the know - subscribe.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2017 posts
245 upvotes
Not unless you want to grow a third arm or get cancer. Chinese industry dumps all their toxic waste into the ocean.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1521 posts
2 upvotes
pupazzo wrote: Not unless you want to grow a third arm or get cancer. Chinese industry dumps all their toxic waste into the ocean.
Who doesn't?
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
PrinceMS wrote: I think health canada regulates everytthing thats comes into Canada. If its in big supermarket, I would assume its safe to eat.
I wouldn't assume that. There's a list somewhere of which fish to avoid from China.
It's called "Google", use it before wasting my time. ;)

And yet another blog.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3593 posts
379 upvotes
Richmond
IronMac wrote: I wouldn't assume that. There's a list somewhere of which fish to avoid from China.
Yeah, I remember seeing that list somewhere too :mad:
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
4103 posts
362 upvotes
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... sec-health

"...The potential toxins found in fish targeted by the FDA include a chemical called malachite green, which is used to treat fungal infections in fish, Acheson said, and has caused cancer in laboratory animals. Fluoroquinolones, also found in the Chinese fish, can increase antibiotic resistance in humans, the FDA said. The chemicals are often used to battle fish diseases caused by China's polluted waterways, fish experts said."
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Oct 15, 2001
945 posts
38 upvotes
I suggest that you try to avoid the frozen fish from Asia. Several people I know have unpleasant experience.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
From what i have seen in stores a lot of the frozen shrimp is imported from Asia.
Like the Aquastar brand they sell at Shoopers/loblaws foodbasics, also a lot of the presiden't choice shrimp dishes use shrimp made in china.

And I just learned this last week but a lot of the Europe's best frozen fruits are made in china.
My sister had some of their strawberries in her freezer and the bag there said product of china.The berries were quite big though.

I just bought some US made ones that were the masterchoice brand and they were very tiny.

I would like to try and avoid fish from overseas as it probably has more chemicals in it, but it seems very hard to do with all the tricky labelling thesedays.
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1104 posts
372 upvotes
Maybe I am over-reacting, but my new policy is I am no longer putting anything into my body that is produced in China.

Food, drink, toothpaste, vitamins.

Just seems like much of their industry is the wild west. Little control or regulation
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12163 posts
5613 upvotes
Ottawa
superizzy wrote: Maybe I am over-reacting, but my new policy is I am no longer putting anything into my body that is produced in China.

Just seems like much of their industry is the wild west. Little control or regulation

The top 10 foods in volume Canada imported from China in 2006 (in millions of kilograms).

Mandarins, clementines and similar citrus hybrids, fresh/dried 33.9
Frozen fish fillets 24.4
Apple juice 21.7 (millions of litres)
Pears and quinces, fresh 13.6
Raw peanuts 10.6
Frozen shrimps and prawns 10.4
Pasta 10.3
Mushrooms 8.9
Other citrus fruits 8.8
Shrimps and prawns, prepared or preserved 7.3

If you are eating one of this, good chance it's coming from China.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1319 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
superizzy wrote:
I like that...well said. :)
Nov 9, 2008
814 posts
464 upvotes
Ottawa
Muncher wrote: I noticed this week that the frozen fish (plain in plastic bags or crumbed in boxes) in the supermarkets come from China or Indonesia.

Just wondering if it's safe to eat, and if anyone has heard anything about the imported fish (else where else to get cheap fish)?
This message is five years old and now i m having a really hard time finding fish NOT from china or thailand. Canned fresh or frozen. I read a bit about how fish is raised and packed in these countries and it s disgusting.

We dont have much food control/testing and im just frustrated. So hard to find good food. Companies are hard at work to try and hide the bad stuff by playing with words, labels.

My last discovery: metro/loeb put soy in their canned tuna to make it cheaper!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Who cares anymore where it originates? The only thing that matters is the price.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
sandikosh wrote: Who cares anymore where it originates? The only thing that matters is the price.
I have been trying frozen fish recently and found poor flavor, color, texture and moistness in fish fillets from China, Russia, and Vietnam. I haven't tried any from Thailand, India, Malaysia, or Indonesia but I'll avoid them until methods improve. Japanese frozen fish seems to be a good bet, but hard to find.

Frozen fish from Alaska, Chile, Canada, and Norway has been good, at least reminding me of fresh fish. It can be pricey, as in the $27 bag of Kirkland sockeye or sustainable Chilean sea bass; if price matters, buy Chinese.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3279 posts
864 upvotes
Why buy frozen fish when there are plenty of fresh fish to eat? Never enjoyed any of the frozen fish no matter where it originates from.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
commie wrote: Why buy frozen fish when there are plenty of fresh fish to eat? Never enjoyed any of the frozen fish no matter where it originates from.
I moved away from urban centers, so I tend to stock up good items for the freezer. I still buy fresh fish from RCSS and first nation door to door sellers, but I want my freezer space to offer a certain amount of choice.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
2698 posts
80 upvotes
Etobicoke
superizzy wrote: Maybe I am over-reacting, but my new policy is I am no longer putting anything into my body that is produced in China.

good idea. i'm going to jump on this plan as well mainly for a few reasons:
1. health
2. morals (re: dont support shark finning, throwing things at animals in zoos, etc.)
3. support canadian companies if possible

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)