• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2006 9:44 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
152 upvotes
glug.glug.hic wrote:I'm about to embark on choosing a new vehicle for my growing family (one 2.5 year old and another on the way). The big requirements for me are now safety, fuel economy, capacity (cargo and occupant) and performance (horsepower). I'm considering the following but would love to have some advice, recommendations and/or experiences:
http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/hond ... d.027.html
255 HORSE POWER!!!!
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
152 upvotes
whoops. so how about a Prius then? the 2004 to 2006 generation is supposed to be a lot larger than the 2003 edition.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
28 upvotes
A Prius would be a suitable choice as well. Very spacious hatchback style car and fuel efficient to the letter. NOT as fuel efficient as the ads say but no car in real life ever lives up to their EnerGuide numbers.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
152 upvotes
Anessa wrote:A Prius would be a suitable choice as well. Very spacious hatchback style car and fuel efficient to the letter. NOT as fuel efficient as the ads say but no car in real life ever lives up to their EnerGuide numbers.
prius gets great milage, thing is, you are forced to take the extra 'trim' packages that go along with it. you can't get a 'base' prius. but yes, its a great car, and even if you drive poorly, it still gets better mileage than almost anything except certain stick shift vehicles.
Sep 21, 2003
865 posts
48 upvotes
The Mazda 5 is getting great reviews. It is a station wagon version of the Mazda 3 and it is not expensive, something like $21,000.
Feb 5, 2006
87 posts
Just a note on the Mazda wagon (6 series) - the mileage is one of the worst in it's class for City. Not that fuel prices and efficiency should shape people choices (it should IMO)... ;)
Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D | 2Gb OCZ DC Platinum (2-3-2-5) | ATI Radeon X800XL | Seagate Barracuda SATA | WD Carvair IDE | Logitech MX700 | Altec Lansing Powercube | Viewsonic G90fb | Enermax 485W NoiseTaker | Antec Sonata Case

Heatware
Dec 17, 2003
152 posts
glug.glug.hic wrote:Just a note on the Mazda wagon (6 series) - the mileage is one of the worst in it's class for City. Not that fuel prices and efficiency should shape people choices (it should IMO)... ;)
I am getting better mileage than posted. I have the 6-speed automatic transmission, doing about 11L/100km city only. Plus try to put ten 4x4x8 posts with 12 bags of cement into a Camry or a Prius :) .
Don't jump on a fuel efficient car to quickly. Depending on your driving - the initial cost might be higher than any savings you will ever make.
Oct 18, 2005
571 posts
98 upvotes
Thornhill
johnwayne wrote:Go with the camry
Awsome cars
For those who say VW's are unreliable, I say "Bah!"
Every car manufacturer has some sort of defect in their lines. Yes, even the almighty "Reliable" Camry:

autoweek.com

Forgot to mention, i've got a 2006 Passat 2.0T, and I get 9-10L \ 100km (city driving)
Sep 27, 2005
48 posts
Ontario
aquariaguy wrote:Subaru Outback or Forrester
V4 - Boxer engine

Compact.
More fuel efficient than SUV's.
Lots of room inside.
AWD.
Handling is awesome.
If the OP has not made any decision. I second the Outback. Actually I just got rid of my SUV for an 06 Outback 2.5i. The base model 2.5i is $32,995 with manual shift. With AT is 34,195. The new 2.5i SE is $699 more on the top of 2.5i with extra sunroof, LED turning signal on the side mirror and some small items. 175 HP, better fuel efficient than v6 3.0 or turbocharge 2.5XT.

The AWD is the reason I did not go for Accord or Camry. The 2007 Mazda cx-7 also in the same price range but only equipped turbocharge I4 engine which needs premium gas.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
gilboman wrote:but to op...the new camry hybrid is a solid choice.
For the amount of gas you save, it's not going to make up the much higher initial cost, so I would say a hybrid vehicle is not worth it right now.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
gordholio wrote:For the amount of gas you save, it's not going to make up the much higher initial cost, so I would say a hybrid vehicle is not worth it right now.
something else which i never see addressed is the cost of repair. no doubt these are complex systems which imo will be costly to fix. also what is the longetivity of the batteries? how much will they cost to replace and dispose of?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
i've been reading the figures of "5 years" and "5 grand" being thrown around. so perhaps, the batts last for 5 years and cost 5 grand (at the moment) to replace.

i guess we'll know for sure very soon...
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1202 posts
108 upvotes
an2one wrote:For those who say VW's are unreliable, I say "Bah!"
Every car manufacturer has some sort of defect in their lines. Yes, even the almighty "Reliable" Camry:

autoweek.com

Forgot to mention, i've got a 2006 Passat 2.0T, and I get 9-10L \ 100km (city driving)
I've read more issues with VW than Toyota, Honda (even Nissan).
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1202 posts
108 upvotes
MrDisco wrote:something else which i never see addressed is the cost of repair. no doubt these are complex systems which imo will be costly to fix. also what is the longetivity of the batteries? how much will they cost to replace and dispose of?
True
There are government rebates, but that's not a lot (comparing initial and other costs)
I think the government should give a rebate (a descent amount) for every year you own a hybrid vehicle. :D
Jul 6, 2003
216 posts
MrDisco wrote:something else which i never see addressed is the cost of repair. no doubt these are complex systems which imo will be costly to fix. also what is the longetivity of the batteries? how much will they cost to replace and dispose of?
Hybrid related components are covered for 160,000km or 8 years. See here:
http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects ... 75e%2ehtml
Feb 5, 2006
87 posts
The cost of a Toyota Camry Hybrid with all in is high 30's. That is very comparable to other makers, especially when you consider the options/features are very similar to luxury models.

This cost when you also factor in only using 60% of your current tank of gas plus the $2,000 Ont Gov rebate makes this hybrid totally 'mainstream'. Yes, it is on the higher end but so are lots of the other recommendations on this post.
Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D | 2Gb OCZ DC Platinum (2-3-2-5) | ATI Radeon X800XL | Seagate Barracuda SATA | WD Carvair IDE | Logitech MX700 | Altec Lansing Powercube | Viewsonic G90fb | Enermax 485W NoiseTaker | Antec Sonata Case

Heatware
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
152 upvotes
everybody worries about hybrid's batteries but (at least with the Toyota prius) the batteries are warranted for longer than most people would keep a car anyway.
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
152 upvotes
and to top it off, you don't buy a Hybrid to save money anyway. You buy it to help the environment. if you want to save money(gas) buy a smart car or a toyota yaris or the GM equivalent(i forgot the name)