Automotive

Is it safe to give out your driver's license number?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2011 7:42 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 26, 2009
61 posts
2 upvotes

Is it safe to give out your driver's license number?

Hi RFD,

I signed up to be a float driver for Pride, because how often do you get to drive a float =D

But the person in the school office wants my driver's license number through email.

Is that safe to give?

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
6909 posts
391 upvotes
Burlington
I would assume the insurance company would need it
kulong wrote:
Jun 13th, 2011 4:51 pm
Hi RFD,

I signed up to be a float driver for Pride, because how often do you get to drive a float =D

But the person in the school office wants my driver's license number through email.

Is that safe to give?

Thanks
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER(ontario) -OVER 30 YRS OF EXPERIENCE
YOUR BEST INSURANCE IS AN INSURANCE BROKER
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1494 posts
171 upvotes
Kitchener
sure. not much is going to happen.

just let it be known, your drivers license number contains your last names first letter, and your birth date.

x00000000yymmdd

x being last name first letter, yy mm dd of course being the date of birth.

so if your not comfortable with someone knowing this info, dont give it out. but in the end they will see it regardless.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
who would you give the #s to?

insurance co needs it for underwriting.
anyone else, tell them to screw off.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
2167 posts
67 upvotes
maniacshopper wrote:
Jun 13th, 2011 7:06 pm
who would you give the #s to?

insurance co needs it for underwriting.
anyone else, tell them to screw off.

Uhh no.
For event like an accident, you have to provide driver's license and let the other party record the number.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5276 posts
898 upvotes
???
Yea it's safe. Your driving record is accessible by anyone anyways. The mto only releases more sensitive info to trusted people or yourself.

Nothing wrong with th number, the probably onlywanna report to ins comp.
My basic strategies in fighting common traffic tickets: [shortened link removed]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
2237 posts
117 upvotes
Maple
kulong wrote:
Jun 13th, 2011 4:51 pm
Hi RFD,

Is that safe to give?

Thanks

that sounds like an awesome experience...ive always wondered how those floats are able to drive so slow lol..is it a feature built into the vehicle? or is the operator the one who controls the speed
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
3474 posts
87 upvotes
Seems like the OP is apprehensive about sending personal information via e-mail as opposed to giving out the personal information itself (at least, that's what I see).

If you're worried about sending it through e-mail, see if there is a telephone number which you can contact them at.
My Toys:
LG 42" PJ550 - Energy Mini Speakers - Yamaha HTR-6150 Receiver - 500GB PS3 - 250 GB Xbox 360 - Xbox - Patriot Box Office w/ 1TB External HD - GameCube - N64 - SNES - NES - PSP2000 - Game Boy Micro - iPhone4 32GB - 13" Aluminum Macbook - Dell 23" 1080p LCD - Logitech Z2300 2.1 Speakers - iPod Touch 8GB - iPod Mini 6GB
× < >