Parenting

Is it safe to paint the house with a baby?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2009 8:08 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 22, 2006
305 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal

Is it safe to paint the house with a baby?

i was wondering is it safe to paint the house when you have a baby in the house, ( he will be 6 months old). I'm worried about the fumes and if there is a health impact.
thanks
13 replies
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
People have been doing it for generations if you think about it for a minute or two. Latex comes in low odour as well as low VOC. Oil is a different ballgame and is the one that really stinks and the odour hang around for a long time. With all of that said though, if you're doing the whole house I'd wait till spring/summer when all the windows can be opened for a couple of days. here will also be the added benefit of the paint drying quicker if the windows can be opened...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
210 upvotes
I would be inclined to use the more traditional rollers + brushes technique, but if you can get better coverage with a baby, I'm all for it. Please post pics of results.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
LMAO @ you 2! WHat a great way to start the day :lol:
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
May 22, 2006
305 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
haha..the visual imagine was funny....didn't realize the poorly wordly title.

i was planning to paint the whole house (now it is constructor's white), and was going to start to look at paint colours, and was aiming for the spring/summer. But before i start collecting paint chips, wanted to know if i should wait a couple of more years.
Jun 4, 2007
922 posts
202 upvotes
Oh boy, Nice to have a little chuckle this morning.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1631 posts
22 upvotes
Mississauga
I did the painting with Latax base (less smelly) in Spring/Summer when you can open the window wide for the smell to escape.

I won't paint when the baby is in the room. So, the baby has to be either sleeping in another room or or at the house while the painting take place.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3400 posts
72 upvotes
what about painting while pregnant? my wife is about 5 months and just painted the nursery, but didn't think about it until after
Jun 4, 2007
922 posts
202 upvotes
joshmxpx wrote:
Feb 24th, 2009 1:25 am
what about painting while pregnant? my wife is about 5 months and just painted the nursery, but didn't think about it until after
You'll get differing opinions. But Latex paints have low emissions. I painted my son's nursery when I was 6 or 7 months pregnant. It was in the summer and we left the windows open, but I'm sure it's fine.
Feb 4, 2007
931 posts
6 upvotes
Spidey wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2009 3:32 pm
I would use a brush, not a baby, but to each their own :lol:
+1 I was thinking the same thing...lol

Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
75 upvotes
redsilk wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2009 2:39 pm
i was wondering is it safe to paint the house when you have a baby in the house, ( he will be 6 months old). I'm worried about the fumes and if there is a health impact.
thanks
ayeung wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2009 5:44 pm
I did the painting with Latax base (less smelly) in Spring/Summer when you can open the window wide for the smell to escape.

I won't paint when the baby is in the room. So, the baby has to be either sleeping in another room or or at the house while the painting take place.
joshmxpx wrote:
Feb 24th, 2009 1:25 am
Adding one more to the serious posts.

There are no VOC primers. I find that Rona is more into no VOC items than Home Depot or Lowes. Anytime a tint is added the VOCs will be added too. Have the house well ventilated and keep all fumes away from the baby if possible.

Some paints are no smell....not the same thing despite what the kid at HD thinks.
I hate painting but found that using the no VOC white primer and it was great.

I am not saying VOCs will do harm but they can do harm. Anything in a great enough quantity or concentration is bad. We are exposed to this chemical and that chemical every day why take more risk?

SM
× < >