• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2018 2:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3891 posts
420 upvotes

safe practices selling on ebay

have a new monitor to sell and already reduced it to a fraction of retail price...not targeting gamers as it's a fairly niche pro display

tried locally but a buyer's imac was too dated...tried reddit but no transaction was finalized

how can I minimize the risk of being ripped off if I'm listing it on fleebay? Will only ship within Canada and to US.

any tips to help me sell it would be appreciated

thank you.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1083 posts
357 upvotes
London
takes lots of pictures. only ship with full tracking might be good to require signature to. if its very valuable insure it for full value.
Dec 5, 2005
784 posts
103 upvotes
If you're a new seller, don't forget to take into account the eBay fees of around 10% as well as the PayPal fees of around 2-3%.

That's on the item AND shipping value. A $500 item gives $50 to eBay's coffers and ~$10 to PP's. If they paid $50 for shipping, then it's another $5 and ~$1 gone. Set your BIN accordingly.

Oh and PP/eBay will hold the funds for your first few transactions for up to 21 days. So no access to the funds until then.

Tracking and full insurance are a must as previously mentioned.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3891 posts
420 upvotes
had my account for 10+ years with dozens of feedback, guess I will still be considered a new seller if my history is all purchases?

I don't mind the cut if it means opening up to a bigger market
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3611 posts
373 upvotes
Ottawa
If you are selling something shiny, prior to taking the photo ensure that you are wearing pants.
Jul 29, 2017
95 posts
68 upvotes
chaingunsofdoom wrote:
May 18th, 2018 2:30 am
If you're a new seller, don't forget to take into account the eBay fees of around 10% as well as the PayPal fees of around 2-3%.

That's on the item AND shipping value. A $500 item gives $50 to eBay's coffers and ~$10 to PP's. If they paid $50 for shipping, then it's another $5 and ~$1 gone. Set your BIN accordingly.

Oh and PP/eBay will hold the funds for your first few transactions for up to 21 days. So no access to the funds until then.

Tracking and full insurance are a must as previously mentioned.
You can use this calculator to help you figure out the fees.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3891 posts
420 upvotes
is there a buy/sell group with a big userbase that you recommend? I've tried marketplace already...good for low cost items $50-500
User381785 wrote:
May 18th, 2018 6:36 pm
Facebook buy and sell group?
is there an informal way to accept/reject a buyer before the transaction?
ie. make it best offer only and set buy it now price close to MSRP...that way I can reject buyers with less than say 10 transactions/good feedback? then i'd be limiting/scaring off potential buyers..hmm
Russell wrote:

Apr 10, 2017
570 posts
195 upvotes
Take this extra mile: take a photo of when you've packed the item and when they've stuck the shipping info on the package itself showing all the info - cover your ass for when in case the buyer claims they never received the correct item. The photo proves you shipped the item to the correct person and the shipping weight makes sense.

This is of course on top of shipping it the trackable method + signature confirmation. Upload the tracking number immediately in PP and eBay

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)