Computers & Electronics

Is it safe to wall mount a TV to metal studs?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2020 7:49 am
Jul 6, 2009
276 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal

Is it safe to wall mount a TV to metal studs?

I just moved to a condo where the studs are made of metal instead of wood. Would it be safe to wall mount my 55 inch LG C8 to such a wall with metal studs?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Denis54 wrote: I just moved to a condo where the studs are made of metal instead of wood. Would it be safe to wall mount my 55 inch LG C8 to such a wall with metal studs?
Why don't you put 2 x 2by4 wood pieces on the stud and then wall mount it. Before you do any type of drilling, make sure with your condo management if they are ok with drilling and what times.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Jun 30, 2009
905 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
You should be okay as long as you also use snap toggle fasteners or heavy duty toggle bolts. Snap Toggles
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Denis54 wrote: I just moved to a condo where the studs are made of metal instead of wood. Would it be safe to wall mount my 55 inch LG C8 to such a wall with metal studs?
With the right toggle bolts, you can mount directly to drywall. So I'd say that yes, with toggle bolts, you should be ok. I wouldn't just use screws directly into the studs, though... Not enough for the screws to bite into.
These toggle bolts are rated at 400+ pounds when installed in a 1/2" drywall/steel stud configuration:
https://www.amazon.ca/TOGGLER-SNAPTOGGL ... V155EXEYDB

One thing to consider is whether the TV is mounted flat (or close to flat) or will be on a tilt/swivel arm that extends out from the wall. The second one will exert a lot more force on the mounting equipment than the first.

C
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
How about toggle bolts both into the drywall and into metal studs? I'm assuming a flat mount here.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I sure hope so since that's how I mounted my TV.

I also used toggle bolts.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
The only stud I needed to mount my TV was myself.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Jul 24, 2002
576 posts
636 upvotes
Vancouver
CNeufeld wrote: With the right toggle bolts, you can mount directly to drywall. So I'd say that yes, with toggle bolts, you should be ok. I wouldn't just use screws directly into the studs, though... Not enough for the screws to bite into.
These toggle bolts are rated at 400+ pounds when installed in a 1/2" drywall/steel stud configuration:

One thing to consider is whether the TV is mounted flat (or close to flat) or will be on a tilt/swivel arm that extends out from the wall. The second one will exert a lot more force on the mounting equipment than the first.

C
I've heard that toggle bolts are a big no no for Drywall. I was thinking that too, but then did a bit of research, and while some will do it, I don't think it's worth it to have you rip a big hole in the wall, or have your $1500 TV smash into pieces. Mind you, I managed to find some studs (did the same with my dad's TV too) in wood. Also my mount has a pivot and swivel, so there's much more stress on it, than just a static mount.
KLUTZO
Game geek, Family geek, Videography geek, all round geek!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
My old 32" LCD TV (somewhat heavy) has been mounted with toggle bolts on drywall for at least 10 years. It's incredibly sturdy.
Phils
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
CNeufeld wrote: With the right toggle bolts, you can mount directly to drywall. So I'd say that yes, with toggle bolts, you should be ok. I wouldn't just use screws directly into the studs, though... Not enough for the screws to bite into.
I'd never mount directly to drywall.
It isn't what the toggle bolts are rated at that is the issue.
It is the drywall.
You might be lucky, and get away with it, but it is bad practice and should be discouraged.
This is a case of it not requiring much more effort to do it right, vs. half-assed.

I'm in agreement with the rest.

C
Agreed.
If you do mount directly to the drywall, this will is going to be a big factor in whether you rip a chunk out of the wall.
Jul 6, 2009
276 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
The TV will be mounted flush with the wall.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
I went overboard a bit .....

1. First, I mounted a piece of thick plywood (slightly larger than the TV mount) to the wall with multiple molly bolts and 2 long screws with wide thread thru the metal stud. I am trying to spread the eventual weight of the TV+mount to a larger/wider area behind the plywood.

2. Screw the TV mount to the plywood with large size lag screws.

3. Finally, along the metal stud line, I further secure the TV mount with 2 long screws with wide thread thru the TV mount + plywood to metal stud.

My experience :

- It's strong enough I can hang myself on the TV mount !
- Because of the thickness of the plywood, the TV moves further away from the wall .... It gives a bit more room to work behind the TV.
- I STRONGLY recommend to put on the screws thru the metal stud BY HAND ! Start with a very small pilot hole with a drill but turn the screw by hand. Stop when you feel the screw cannot penetrate any further. Powered drill will strip the metal too easily.
- I feel more comfortable this way coz in case the dry wall was soaked by major water leak or something, the TV would still be held somewhat by the metal stud ...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
I did the plywood method like willy because the studs weren't quite aligned with where the TV mount was going to be located. The extra distance from the wall allowed me to tilt it to the angle I wanted.

I think screws into metal studs are enough, but that will be up to you.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
I used snap toggles and I made sure to sure they were placed right on the centre of the stud. My TV is about 30lbs + 15 lbs mount. It's an articulating mount that comes out around 1/2 ft. Been on the wall for years. No issues.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
willy wrote: - I STRONGLY recommend to put on the screws thru the metal stud BY HAND !
You just ruined a lot of the younger crowds day.
When I read these forums, I get the impression nobody owns a screwdriver anymore, but everybody has a beefy impact gun.
Banned
May 31, 2013
9 posts
3 upvotes
Yes it’s safe. I have mounted many of them. Use toggle bolts or elephant anchors. Or you can buy metal stud wall mount Condomounts. Comes will the 1/2” drill bits and anchors. Is expensive if you buy them separately. The Condomounts metal stud wall mount that came with tv metal stud anchors saved us money. Cause the drill bit in Home Depot was $20 by itself.

The toggle bolt/ strap toggle / elephant anchors were a little hard to use. But manage to see the videos and get an idea how to use it. You got to pull it snug to the wall. Then screw with screw driver or driver.

Very strong on the wall. Never going to fall. I used a tilt tv mount.
Images
  • 0D041783-7147-4AD7-906F-8023470F41FA.jpeg
Apr 19, 2020
20 posts
10 upvotes
why not just use a ceiling mount for the tv instead....you probably have wood studs in the ceiling
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2086 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
sunderpalani wrote: Yes it’s safe. I have mounted many of them. Use toggle bolts or elephant anchors. Or you can buy metal stud wall mount Condomounts. Comes will the 1/2” drill bits and anchors. Is expensive if you buy them separately. The Condomounts metal stud wall mount that came with tv metal stud anchors saved us money. Cause the drill bit in Home Depot was $20 by itself.

The toggle bolt/ strap toggle / elephant anchors were a little hard to use. But manage to see the videos and get an idea how to use it. You got to pull it snug to the wall. Then screw with screw driver or driver.

Very strong on the wall. Never going to fall. I used a tilt tv mount.
Thumbs up for Overdrive.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
t3chguru wrote: why not just use a ceiling mount for the tv instead....you probably have wood studs joists in the ceiling