• Jul 1st, 2013 9:27 am
Tags:
None
Jul 2, 2008
610 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto

Safety Deposit Box

Recently got a sdb at rbc. Couple questions.

Are the contents insured by the bank? Do I need to contact my home insurance provider to see if it covers, chances are the bank won't get robbed but what about floods / fires ...

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9837 upvotes
Toronto
^The SDB's are Fire/Water proof.
Realtor (Investment Properties) - CPA, CA
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
Did you not get any type of an agreement or anything when you got the deposit box??
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2008
1432 posts
114 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote: Did you not get any type of an agreement or anything when you got the deposit box??
All your answers to your questions are in the paper you signed when you opened the SDB at RBC.
Jul 29, 2007
229 posts
19 upvotes
The bank does not insurance of the contents of the box as they do not know what is in the boxes. It could be gold or it could be ashes. Take pictures of what is in the box and get insurance accordingly. The boxes in house in a metal box which is suppose to be fire proof I am not sure of waterproof in a flood I don't see anything that makes it waterproof. When you get the box you are given a copy of the contract and you are suppose to initial their copy to show proof that you are aware of the terms and conditions.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote: ^The SDB's are Fire/Water proof.
SDBs that I have are certainly not water proof and will not protect the contents from a flood of the bank... they SHOULD be OK from fire but like others have said nothing is guarenteed.

What I use my SDB for is simply my dropoff for my off-site hard drive backup
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Jul 29, 2007
229 posts
19 upvotes
It is fireproof to some extend, however if the fire is fiery please be prepared for charred papers and smoke damaged to your contents. It is not 100 percent fire and waterproof. Get extra insurance for your own contents
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
winterslush wrote: It is fireproof to some extend, however if the fire is fiery please be prepared for charred papers and smoke damaged to your contents. It is not 100 percent fire and waterproof. Get extra insurance for your own contents
"If the fire is fiery"?!?!? :eek: :lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
I can't speak for every branch, but I know my TD branch told me my SDB was fire and water proof. It's not the SDB itself - it's the ENTIRE ROOM. However, my rep pointed out that nothing is insured by them and they do not guarantee anything.

Honestly, do you guys think that little metal box is fireproof? :facepalm: Come on. Think about it. Any fire surrounding that box is going to heat up the interior contents like they were sitting in a roasting pan in a gas oven set at "crematorium". Even if the fire is licking at only the smallest end of the box, anything in it is going to heat up. And it won't be long until it gets to the point where any papers inside will ignite and/or any electronics begin the melting process.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2007
2594 posts
99 upvotes
Your SDB (contrary to popular belief) is NOT covered by insurance or anything of that sort for theft, etc... you need to have personal homeowner's insurance to cover that sort of thing.
Banned
Jan 3, 2013
581 posts
25 upvotes
PORT MORIEN
Sniper001 wrote: Your SDB (contrary to popular belief) is NOT covered by insurance or anything of that sort for theft, etc... you need to have personal homeowner's insurance to cover that sort of thing.
So your home insurance extends to your banks safety box?
Jul 29, 2007
229 posts
19 upvotes
If the bank's money is all burnt in a fire their insurance covers it. Do you have insurance for the contents of your box?
Jul 29, 2007
229 posts
19 upvotes
coachpotatoarmchairQB wrote: So your home insurance extends to your banks safety box?
To a certain extend check your home insurance. If you are using the box to store jewellery, gold coins, stamps and what have you. You need to get extra insurance coverage.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)