Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
15371 posts
1221 upvotes
Langley

Safety tip: Unactivated cell phones can call 911

A lot of people don't know this, but even unactivated cell phones can call 911. It's not a bad idea to have one in your car or house, in case your other phone(s) aren't working for some reason and there's an emergency.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2006
1973 posts
6 upvotes
Vernon
I've known this, but it could help other people out. I think it is a good idea though. the only thing i wonder is, if you have a GSM phone, without a sim card, can it phone 911, if so, what service provider will it use?
/post
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2327 posts
7 upvotes
Lava wrote:
Mar 29th, 2008 7:33 pm
I've known this, but it could help other people out. I think it is a good idea though. the only thing i wonder is, if you have a GSM phone, without a sim card, can it phone 911, if so, what service provider will it use?

Considering there is only one GSM provider in Canada the question is pretty obvious. In other places that don't put up with a government sanctioned monopoly it goes to the one with the strongest signal.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
1776 posts
71 upvotes
Lava wrote:
Mar 29th, 2008 7:33 pm
Yes, a GSM phone with/without can dial 911. AFAIK, any phone GSM, CDMA, or whatever can/must dial 911.

That's actually a great tip... Leaving an unactivated phone in your car for emergencies.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2006
1973 posts
6 upvotes
Vernon
Goonish wrote:
Mar 29th, 2008 7:47 pm
Yes, a GSM phone with/without can dial 911. AFAIK, any phone GSM, CDMA, or whatever can/must dial 911.

That's actually a great tip... Leaving an unactivated phone in your car for emergencies.
Not a bad idea, but pointless if you have a cell phone, unless i have overlooked something.

One more question, isn't this a bad idea for prank calls, wouldn't it be very simple to make a 911 prank call, and they could never trace you?
/post
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37796 posts
795 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Lava wrote:
Mar 29th, 2008 8:55 pm
Not a bad idea, but pointless if you have a cell phone, unless i have overlooked something.

One more question, isn't this a bad idea for prank calls, wouldn't it be very simple to make a 911 prank call, and they could never trace you?
It's for backup. Your normal daily cell phone could be out of batteries, or you forgot to bring it one day.
Check out my BST Threads!Silver Coins
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2006
1973 posts
6 upvotes
Vernon
Jon Lai wrote:
Mar 29th, 2008 9:39 pm
It's for backup. Your normal daily cell phone could be out of batteries, or you forgot to bring it one day.
I understand that it might be useful for a backup, but why put a $50-$100 cellphone in your car if you rarely ever phone 911. Or why not instead put a car charger in your car so there is no way the battery will die. If you forget it, just a bad turn of events...
/post
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Mar 29th, 2008 9:39 pm
I don't know but I don't think what you said is practical at all.

1. will you carry your backup everyday?
2. will your backup have battery at the moment you really need it? Will you keep on charging it? Every week? Every month?
3. If it does have battery, can't you just move the sim card from your regular phone to that phone?
4. Would carrying an extra battery be more practical? You can call more than just 911 if your regular phone runs out of battery.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
1776 posts
71 upvotes
The point is to have a phone where you normally wouldn't have one.

Want your kid to have the ability to dial 911 in case of emergency? Give him/her an unactivated cell phone.

Traveling and don't want to incur roaming charges or if you don't even need a cellphone while you're traveling? Take out the SIM card and just bring the phone with you.

Having them in first aid kits wouldn't be a bad idea either...

Chances are, it won't cost you anything extra as many of us have outdated cellphones lying around at home. If you think of this as purely a 911 phone, then it won't seem as absurd.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
9 upvotes
KELOWNA
Well I am very glad to know this. You see I have an old cell with car charger and knowing this means I should dig it out and throw it in the car. Anyone know if you can call * numbers too (like emergency road service)?
Apr 1, 2008
6 posts
toronto
does anyone know why do providers charge a 911 fee on your bill?
somehow it does not make sense to me if you can dial 911 with a phone that is not in service to then charge service fee for this when phone is activated
ty
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7406 posts
230 upvotes
Brampton
marisol wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2008 7:16 pm
somehow it does not make sense to me if you can dial 911 with a phone that is not in service to then charge service fee for this when phone is activated
ty
I know its wierd. But did you know the 911 call is free. Don't need to worry about loosing your minutes during the 911 call :lol:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
15371 posts
1221 upvotes
Langley
marisol wrote:
It pays for 911 service.

"Cellular companies obtain access to emergency 9-1-1 service through the telephone companies since 9-1-1 service is provided by municipalies in conjunction with the telephone companies. The Commission has determined that the costs incurred by municipalities and telephone companies are to be recovered from all telecommunications services users."

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t1021.htm
marisol wrote:
ty
Cause it's difficult to send an unknown phone owner a bill for 75 cents a month, but they still want people to be safe.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/ ... vival.html
× < >