Computers & Electronics

Sagemcom f@st 2864 - any point in keeping my linksys e3000 around?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2013 4:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2005
3357 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto

Sagemcom f@st 2864 - any point in keeping my linksys e3000 around?

I recently acquired Bell Fibe 25 internet with a Sagecom f@ast 2864 Wireless N router/modem. I was thinking of running it in bridge mode and using it solely as a modem, and having my Linksys E3000 wireless N router handle the routing part.

However seeing as the Sagecom is a wireless N router, is there any point in me keeping the linksys around?
13 replies
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
kingrukus wrote:
Sep 6th, 2012 9:46 pm
I recently acquired Bell Fibe 25 internet with a Sagecom f@ast 2864 Wireless N router/modem. I was thinking of running it in bridge mode and using it solely as a modem, and having my Linksys E3000 wireless N router handle the routing part.

However seeing as the Sagecom is a wireless N router, is there any point in me keeping the linksys around?
yes.
load it up with dd-wrt.
disable wan.
set dhcp server to dhcp forwarding.
crank up the wireless power and security.
press and hold the wifi button on the sagecom to turn off the crap wifi on it.
leave pppoe on the sagecom. and connect your newly configured router to any lan port on the sagecom and enjoy.

the sagecom is needed for TV + internet.
you should let it handle the routing and just turn your router into a wireless bridge.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
basically this...
follow the picture.. steps 1 to 5. assuming you already configured your wireless settings.

1. disable wan.
2. set mtu to AUTO
3. set to DHCP FORWARDER
4. click SAVE
5. click APPLY SETTINGS.
6. connect an ethernet cable from any sagencom lan port to any lan port on your router and enjoy.

just remember that once you do this. you will not be able to get back into the router normally... unless you..

A. set your pc to a 192.168.1.xxx ipv4 address and set your default gateway to 192.168.1.1 or the same lan ip as your router.
B. do a 30-30-30 reset.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2005
3357 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks - I have been meaning to flash DDWRT or Tomato onto the E3000 for a while now. I am planning on getting a second E3000 or similar router to act as a wireless hub in another room and bridge it wirelessly to the main E3000 router.

So the wifi capability of the Sagecom is noticably worse than a stock E3000?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
kingrukus wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 6:54 am
Thanks - I have been meaning to flash DDWRT or Tomato onto the E3000 for a while now. I am planning on getting a second E3000 or similar router to act as a wireless hub in another room and bridge it wirelessly to the main E3000 router.

dude the sagencom wifi sucks hard.
it's weak and takes long for clients to acquire and authenticate.
your better off just disabling it and letting the e3000 do the job.
Sep 24, 2011
1 posts
Hamilton
Hi, i was hoping I could do this too, i have a dlink-dir-655. From what you are saying I need to load ddwrt onto the dlink, and diable wan.
1) i was looking around, and people said I can disable dhcp or disable dns
will this do the same thing as disabling the wan?
2) if i load ddwrt, i can;t factory reset my router, only do what you said to login or flash dlink firmware?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
Tazzarti wrote:
Oct 15th, 2012 8:05 pm
Hi, i was hoping I could do this too, i have a dlink-dir-655. From what you are saying I need to load ddwrt onto the dlink, and diable wan.
1) i was looking around, and people said I can disable dhcp or disable dns
will this do the same thing as disabling the wan?
2) if i load ddwrt, i can;t factory reset my router, only do what you said to login or flash dlink firmware?
you dont have to load ddwrt firmware if you can't.
ddwrt just gives you more options for wifi over stock like afterburner or boosting antenna str.
if you want to do the same thing just disable DHCP hit save then connect any LAN port from the sagencom to any LAN port on your dlink and you will yield the same results.
just be sure on the dlink the LAN settings are in line withe sagencom.... same subnet. that's it.
Mar 23, 2013
1 posts
Hi... Noob question.

My father also has this sagemcom router and his wifi reception sucks royally. I would like to buy him an Asus RT-N66U router. Can simply hook up the Asus to the sagemcom Ethernet connection, disable the wifi on the sagemcom and the run the Asus wireless as it would if I connected it to my Motorola cable modem?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
yup. you got it.
just make sure the new router is setup in access point mode.
if your dad has fibetv as well the pppoe must be established from the sagemcom.
if he only has internet then by all means setup pppoe on the new router.
Picassimo wrote:
Mar 24th, 2013 11:18 pm
Hi... Noob question.

My father also has this sagemcom router and his wifi reception sucks royally. I would like to buy him an Asus RT-N66U router. Can simply hook up the Asus to the sagemcom Ethernet connection, disable the wifi on the sagemcom and the run the Asus wireless as it would if I connected it to my Motorola cable modem?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4383 posts
686 upvotes
Mississauga
infamouskid wrote:
Mar 25th, 2013 12:53 am
yup. you got it.
just make sure the new router is setup in access point mode.
if your dad has fibetv as well the pppoe must be established from the sagemcom.
if he only has internet then by all means setup pppoe on the new router.
that's awesome. was hesistant cause i didnt want to lose my QoS set up for my N66U. going to order the dsl25 tonight
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4386 posts
857 upvotes
London
spena wrote:
Mar 25th, 2013 1:10 pm
that's awesome. was hesistant cause i didnt want to lose my QoS set up for my N66U. going to order the dsl25 tonight
If you want to use the Asus' QoS, that would mean using its NAT and routing functions as well...not just as a wireless access point like suggested previously. In that case you would have to put the Sagemcom into bridge mode if you want to avoid double NAT issues.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1796 posts
144 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
kingrukus wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 6:54 am

I have recently flashed tomato on my e3000 and it is totally worth it. I have setup QOS for my voip line and the quality is now perfect. Its like having a land line. I have also setup a NAS and cranked up the power a bit. The speeds have also been noticeably better. Just make sure you do a 30-30-30 reset after flashing the firmware. I did not do this after i flashed and i was having some weird issues.

I am also looking for a second e3000 because my new place is bigger than my old place and the wifi signal is a bit unstable in the upstairs area of my house. My router is located in the basement.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
double nat wont be an issue if your doing pppoe pass thru.
Scycotic wrote:
Mar 25th, 2013 1:46 pm
If you want to use the Asus' QoS, that would mean using its NAT and routing functions as well...not just as a wireless access point like suggested previously. In that case you would have to put the Sagemcom into bridge mode if you want to avoid double NAT issues.
Jan 20, 2013
381 posts
52 upvotes
Woodbridge
did you flash tomato after ddwrt?
Does some one know how to test QoS? i am using dd-wrt, and my ATA set to Exempt. but i just wonder if there is some tool to test QoS performance?
× < >