Careers

Said no to job offer but 6 months later want to say yes ?

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2018 12:58 pm
[OP]
Dec 3, 2013
425 posts
123 upvotes

Said no to job offer but 6 months later want to say yes ?

6 months ago my wife applied for an executive level position at another company, was basically a custom position just for her (she would have been reporting to a previous boss with whom she has a very good relationship) after interviews they made her an offer but could not agree on pay. So she said no.

6 months later she has a new boss and her current work position has deteriorated. Can she go back to that well? And how should she go about it?

Ty for any tips!
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6301 posts
912 upvotes
T dot 6
IMO, if they couldn't agree to the pay level I think they would be weary to hire your wife because the chances she would look for a higher paying position is high. That is especially true if they find out she is unhappy at her current position.

I don't see any issue for her going back to her previous boss especially since they have a good relationship but she probably better off just finding a different position which provides the pay she wants.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7044 posts
1367 upvotes
Mississauga
No she should not ask for the previous job offer which she turned down. And if I were the employer I would refuse her. She is indecisive and wishy washy.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Nov 20, 2016
65 posts
53 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
May 11th, 2018 12:06 pm
No she should not ask for the previous job offer which she turned down. And if I were the employer I would refuse her. She is indecisive and wishy washy.
Sure the employer may turn her down but I don't see the harm in asking. I don't think people should refrain from taking action due to the possibility of rejection.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5467 posts
1171 upvotes
Markham
If the job didn't pay enough then, why is it enough now? She should've valued the relationships more and said yes to help her ex boss then with the hope that the ex boss would work to get her more in the future perhaps.

If I were the ex boss, I wouldn't hire her...at least not this soon after being rebuffed. I'd be worried that she'd leave when she found another fiddle to play.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1745 posts
217 upvotes
Canada
She should go for it nothing to lose.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8719 posts
2998 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hanniballs wrote:
May 11th, 2018 12:20 pm
Sure the employer may turn her down but I don't see the harm in asking. I don't think people should refrain from taking action due to the possibility of rejection.
To formally ask, it may damage her reputation in the industry especially at an executive level position. However, it may be possible to put out causal feelers to see if the other position has been filled or what that other company has done since she rejected their offer. Maybe they are hurting and are re-thinking about the amount offered. Then she can always have a causal lunch or coffee with her former boss in order to 'touch base' but not an 'ask for employment' type of meeting. Let her former boss bring the topic up and see where it goes from there.
Apr 16, 2009
155 posts
17 upvotes
Like the old saying goes, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Since she has a good relationship with that boss, there's nothing to lose and possibly a lot to gain by at least trying.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8126 posts
807 upvotes
Wife miss the boat. Not too sure if it offended the previous boss and HR st that company. Depending on if she was offer to a higher position or equivalent in terms of title.

Looks bad going back to ask something she turned down. Looks to be going to get low balled offer, even lower than last one.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1669 posts
858 upvotes
Ottawa
Mistake many here seem to make in the career forum is to second guess themselves. Make your decision, move on and don't look back. Good or bad, learn from it.
Dec 24, 2007
292 posts
175 upvotes
BC
Yarbogash wrote:
May 11th, 2018 11:34 am
6 months ago my wife applied for an executive level position at another company...
6 months ago? Wouldn't they have moved on and found someone by now?

She might try to discreetly make an enquiry but I think the boat has sailed. If she couldn't agree on pay then, why would the company believe she would be happy with a low salary now? In their mind, she'll probably be there temporarily before bolting at some time as she will always feel "undervalued".
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1717 posts
563 upvotes
Alberta
Raggie wrote:
May 11th, 2018 12:06 pm
That’s no being wishy washy, they offered her a position and could not agree to a key term in the contract (salary) so she turned it down. Sounds pretty decisive to me. However, now circumstances have changed.

Only wishy washy if they actually offered her the terms that were acceptable to her and got cold feet after. My current job they came in with a number I wasn’t ideally happy with, and I countered. They ended up accepting the counter, but if they did not accept the counter I wouldn’t have taken my current job.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7044 posts
1367 upvotes
Mississauga
abc123yyz wrote:
May 11th, 2018 6:52 pm
That’s no being wishy washy, they offered her a position and could not agree to a key term in the contract (salary) so she turned it down. Sounds pretty decisive to me. However, now circumstances have changed.

Only wishy washy if they actually offered her the terms that were acceptable to her and got cold feet after. My current job they came in with a number I wasn’t ideally happy with, and I countered. They ended up accepting the counter, but if they did not accept the counter I wouldn’t have taken my current job.
Refusing a position that was offered to you, and then turning around months later with a change of mind is wishy washy, no matter the reason. I would not be able to have full trust on an employee like that. I don't know what your anecdote has to do with this.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5236 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
Look elsewhere.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4416 posts
776 upvotes
I would not take you back if I were the one making the hiring. However, you have nothing to lose by testing the waters. Try a more casual approach and don't try to seek employment. If they are open and wasn't pissed off enough, maybe they make another offer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)