Automotive

Sailun winter tires

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2015 9:35 pm
Nov 30, 2007
85 posts
Ottawa

Sailun winter tires

Has anyone heard of Sailun tires? Ratings? Reviews? They offer the Ice blazer winter tire.
71 replies
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
121 upvotes
Chatham
Too many POS China products nowadays. You shouldnt skimp on tires. Get some well-known brands for a peace of mind. Hancook is very affordable isnt it?
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14339 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
CT has General Altimax on sale.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5450 posts
288 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
jetway1212 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2010 12:52 am
Too many POS China products nowadays. You shouldnt skimp on tires. Get some well-known brands for a peace of mind. Hancook is very affordable isnt it?
JAC wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2010 1:05 am

Right. The GEneral is a rebranded "Gislaved Nordfrost 3" which is VERY similar to the Hankook ipike w409. :o
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14339 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
m4gician wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2010 2:03 am
Right. The GEneral is a rebranded "Gislaved Nordfrost 3" which is VERY similar to the Hankook ipike w409. :o

A lot of tires copy that thread pattern, but there's no guarantee the rubber compound is the same. However, Continental owns both General and Gislaved, so it may be a true re-brand.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19887 posts
1520 upvotes
Word to the wise: stay away from the off-branded made-in-China specials (which includes "Sailun"). Trust me.
Nov 10, 2010
2 posts
Brooklin, On
JAC wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2010 1:05 am

I just came back from CT and the set of 4 tires they wanted to sell me were manufactured in 2008. Always check the DOT - last 4 digits eg. 3408 means this tire was made during the 34th week in 2008. So these tires are already 3 years old, nice try CT, I think my business is going elsewhere.
Jul 29, 2007
2 posts
1 upvote
When I was looking to buy winter tires, I went into Tire World in Brampton and was INCREDIBLY skeptical about buying a tire I have never heard of. The salesguy assured me, that yes, they were not a brand most people knew, however they'd been getting great reviews and TRUST ME he said, you WILL notice the difference over all seasons! HE WAS RIGHT! Being as worried as I was about them and not getting any snow for about the first month I put them on, I was getting worried. Well as you know, we got snow! I can honestly say I was TOTALLY impressed with the tires. I put them on an '08 Santa Fe, and I took them into a parking lot with about 8" of snow and went crazy, stop starts, very quick acceleration, anything I could think of that might happen on the road and a lot of things that wouldn't. I could barely get them to slide when I tried! The true test came when I was driving in some terrible conditions when the snow had melted than refrozen. People were spinning out like crazy and doing about 20km/hr, I was driving like I was on regular pavement. Nothing crazy, but passing cars and switching lanes like there wasn't any snow. I raved about these tires to a die hard "ALL SEASONS ARE JUST AS GOOD" guy at work, and now with two babies, he decided it was time to try. He also LOVED THEM. I don't work for Tire World or Sailun, however these tires definitely made me believe that snow tires are the way to go in winter, you WILL notice the difference whether it be the ones I bought or something else. May seem like a bit of a waste of time switching tires, but you will be glad you did. I was for sure!.
Jul 6, 2009
643 posts
72 upvotes
My (used) car came with new Sailun Atrezzo Z4+AS tires when I bought it. They're a "performance" all-season model. They have a very similar tread pattern to my last tire, the General Evertrek HP. Both tires have a UTQG traction rating of A, and the Sailun has a temperature rating of AA, which exceed's the General's A rating. The General has a longer treadwear rating of 440 vs. the Sailun's 380.

On the road both tires are comfortable and quiet. I think the Sailun is more comfortable and possibly quieter, but the General feels a little more responsive and like it has a little more grip. The General is noticably better in the rain, which is not to say that the Sailun is bad, but the General really excels in the rain. The General held up pretty well given their treadwear rating, but it's too soon yet to see how long the Sailun's will last.

I think those people who suggest avoiding all Chinese tire brands are painting with too broad of a brush. Like anything there will be good and bad examples, you just have to do your research before buying. Any tire sold in Canada has to meet minimum standards though, and the Sailun meet and exceed those standards by a good margin. I tend to prefer higher performance tires so I'm not sure I'd buy them again with performance being the goal, but they do make for a good summer tire for family vehicles and I imagine they're probably a good deal cheaper than similar name brand models.

Here is a review by wheels.ca of 6 performance-oriented tires including the Sailun and another unknown Chinese tire. The Chinese tires are cheaper than the others by a good margin but still acquit themselves fairly well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5859 posts
100 upvotes
i think sailun is trying to distinguish themselves from other chinese brands, their prices are higher than the wan li and ling long brands and from reading the reviews on paper, they perform better.

just like falken from a few years ago, not a lot of people liked them, but they were one of the best bang for the bucks tire. but recently, their prices kept going up to the point i don't think it's worth it.
--
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
lil_ochef wrote:
Nov 1st, 2010 9:31 pm
Has anyone heard of Sailun tires? Ratings? Reviews? They offer the Ice blazer winter tire.

try them and let us know ;)
Oct 27, 2011
2 posts
MIRAMICHI
I just picked up a set of these tires today and installed them on a 2005 Mazda3. Was kind of skeptical like everyone else but so far they are a very good tire. Quiet, good grip, and handling is acceptable for being a winter tire. They have a similar pattern to the Altimax Artic, and those tires seem to have a very good review.. Would definatly recommend these tires. Tire size is 205/55/16.
Jan 19, 2008
568 posts
90 upvotes
"picked them up and installed them today.... Seems pretty good"....how can you say that so soon
Oct 27, 2011
2 posts
MIRAMICHI
I was going off of initial judgement on dry roads. You can feel them grip the road but they're not too spongy like some cheaper winter tires out there. Granted they are not like the summer tires I had on the car. I'll update again whenever we actually get some snow to try them out
× < >