Careers

Salaried, employer wants to dock her for being told to go home 2 hrs early.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:27 am
Jul 1, 2017
103 posts
48 upvotes
Bad managers need a reminder of what good management is. This only happens when bad managers get fired and are forced into non-management level roles; make your daughter talk to the owner and ensure the reason for her departure is 100% on the manager.

One report leaving will not shake things up; several reports leaving will.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4072 posts
225 upvotes
With another job lined up, I'd not bother doing the 2 hrs and then hopefully get fired for the severance.
That and tell the manager that the owner said it was ok to go early and they can take it up with the owner.
Also I'd ask the owner about having to work during the holidays since no one else will be there but again, if the owner says no, then tell the manager to talk to the owner, or better yet, get the owner to confirm it in an email and forward it onto the manager.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Feb 19, 2017
158 posts
66 upvotes
mlc2000 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:04 pm

She isn't giving any notice because they have been complete A-holes to her.
Instead of being vindictive with no benefit, why not just give 2 weeks notice like normal, commit to working over the holidays (so she gets paid), but then just not show up and do nothing.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16687 posts
1065 upvotes
Niagara Falls
If your daughter does have another job lined up and is confident it will be there on Jan 2, if I were her I'd tell my current manager that I'm not making up the 2 hours and if they dock her pay she'll be talking with a lawyer about it. Show up for her shifts till she's done then move on.

That being said, no job is guaranteed so do the above might burn a bridge she shouldn't be burning.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3987 posts
1147 upvotes
I wouldn't be surprised if the new manager knows that she has another job and is just giving her a hard time.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4757 posts
406 upvotes
Scarborough
I'd just stay home just like most people on the stat holidays and they can go shove it in their own asses.
How do they make just 1 person to come in when everyone else is gonna be off?
I would not do the extra 2 hrs either.
Why can't u help your daughter out, why is she broke? Is she living alone? Whats going on.

Cant believe the shit responses from ppl here telling her to put up with such crap from this firm....nobody should hav to put up with bullshit
Apr 28, 2014
164 posts
54 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
She should give the proper notice. There's always the potential that they tell her not to come in during her notice period, and she gets a two-week paid vacation. Not giving notice is poor form, and could leave someone else in the lurch somehow. I don't mean the manager- who cares about him- but a colleague or another manager. There's no sense in burning bridges you don't have to.

HelloWorld3 makes a good suggestion: make sure the owner knows the reason for her departure. She should request an exist interview, and make it clear why she is leaving. Indicate to them that she likes the firm and the ownership, but finds the manager unprofessional. She may as well stay positive with the owner; you never know when a relationship like that can be useful in the future.

She should not put in the two hours, obviously.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2132 posts
357 upvotes
Toronto
SouthOnt wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 7:35 pm
She should not put in the two hours, obviously.
I suggest she put in the two hours, but make sure the owner knows about it. Tell the owner she will be putting in the hours and working during the holiday before it happens. I assume the owner will ask her why does she need to work when the owner specifically said nobody needs to come in.