• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2007 7:57 am
Tags:
None
Apr 17, 2007
14 posts
Ottawa

For Sale By owner : need help

I'm trying to sell my house privately. I need some tips in getting some exposure for the home. I'm already marketing the home on local Ottawa sites such as craigslist, kijiji, free classifieds etc and hardcopy flyers wherever i can post it. There is small response but not anything compared to mls. In ottawa there is another FSBO company called Grapevine, it's also popular and am planning to an ad with them. They put a lawn and stuff and if that doesn't work my last bet is with an agent. My closing is not until November so I'm taking things slow. And I've priced it fairly to what homes have been sold in this area, should I reconsider it since I'm selling it privately?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
3271 posts
22 upvotes
Is it not possible to get it listed on MLS, maybe for a price? I know that we're looking to BUY right now (sorry, not where you're selling..), and we are only looking at MLS...
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
4462 posts
4128 upvotes
I will say just bite the bullet and pay Grapevine the $300 or whatever amount that they charge now. They are quite effective, and there are quite alot of exposure, afterall, I sold my house thru their website. As long as it shows well and it is price competitively it gets sold pretty fast on that site.
Feb 27, 2006
23 posts
National Capital Reg…
I think grapevine is pretty popular in the Ottawa area. I wouldn't list with a Realtor until you get desperate, or just had no time of your own to do open houses/showings and feel like paying someone to do it for you. I've seen places on Grapevine sell in less than a week if there were in great condition, in a high demand location and priced competitively. Best of luck!
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
4462 posts
4128 upvotes
What I would do is to take more photos, and set up a website, so people can almost do a virtual tour.

Also, put yourself in the buyer's shoes and ask yourself why they should buy yours when they can buy a brand new one from the developer for similar type of coins. Or better yet, why they should go the For Sale by Owner route when they can find similar properties at similar prices on the MLS with a realtor.

As a buyer, if there were no financial incentive for me to go the for sale by owner route, I will definitely go with the MLS route. Afterall, I don't have to pay the lawyer's fee of drawing up the offer as well as the awkwardness of negotiating with the seller.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)