Shopping Discussion

Sales tax refund for Canadians shopping in NY?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2014 10:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1629 posts
187 upvotes

Sales tax refund for Canadians shopping in NY?

I recall some discussion regarding a way for Canadians to put in a claim for sales tax spent while in New York state (or other states for that matter).

I grabbed a TV today in New York at a hug savings over the prices up here. I ended up paying sales tax of 176 USD.

Is it possible to get a refund from NY state on this purchase? It'd be nice, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I did some searching of the forums, but didn't have any luck. Not sure if I was putting in the right key words, but my apologies if it's been covered already.

Thanks in advance.
8 replies
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Man, the info in that link is old and outdated. Canada no longer offers a GST refund to travellers and hasn't for a coupleof years now. And to answer your question jrees, no. NY State does not refund taxes. There are only a couple of US States that do and they are not border states. All the border states heavily rely on cross border shoppers to boost their revenues, especially now. Many of the bordering counties in NY State would literally be bankrupt if they refunded taxes due to the economic mess in the state.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
78 upvotes
Best way to avoid NY/MI sales taxes is to look for internet retailers that don't charge in those states, and hopefully provide free shipping.

IIRC, Amazon charges for NY, but not MI, you can thank Spitzer for that.

I had a $$$ Weber BBQ (grill) shipped free from AL to NY that incurred no NY taxes, but Amazon seems to be tacking on ~7% since 2009.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5370 posts
353 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
As mentioned you cannot refund the NYC sales tax. I am not sure if you could sometime in the past.

176 USD of sales tax means quite a hefty original price. Hope you enjoy your large screen TV.
There's a sucker born every minute.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1629 posts
187 upvotes
Thanks for all the replies.

I believe there used to be something to this, but I guess not now.

Woulda been nice, but I still came out way ahead of buying it up here.

And yes, I LOVE my new toy.

:razz:
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1970 posts
83 upvotes
New Hampshire has no sales tax. You might wanna look into that in the future.

"Hey, hun, let's drive 16 hours to save a few bucks on taxes!"
× < >