Salt stains on motocycle leather jacket

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2017 1:46 pm
[OP]
Mar 12, 2006
523 posts
17 upvotes

Salt stains on motocycle leather jacket

I was caught in a downpour and after letting the jacket dry out, there's various white stains around the jacket.

I tried rubbing it off with vinegar/water solution, to no avail. Then tried saddle soap, again nothing. Then coconut oil, and nothing.

I'm lost as to how to restore this jacket. Any ideas?
1 reply
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3437 posts
4442 upvotes
Ontario
The salt has affected the leather's colour so you want to be restoring the colour. Nothing wrong with using water and a rag to remove salt but that alone is not bringing back the lost colour. So you have to add colour back to the jacket. Or just acknowledge that your jacket is acquiring a patina from use and wear and live with the stains.

Leather used to be skin so you need to look at leather creams. Those solutions you used won't help with the colour. If you have a matching colour shoe polish (leather cream or paste), you may want to take a cotton rag (clean old t-shirt) and try rubbing in some cream or paste on the stains and letting the jacket sit on a hanger or chair for an hour.
Or ask at your leather goods stores for ideas if you have not scoped out their leather care items already.

BTW, have you ever sprayed your leather jacket for water protection using the spray for boots? Might be an idea to try before your next wet weather ride-just spray garment outdoors and let dry. Try for a calm day not a windy one.
Surfing 2017. Fall, show me the roll-out of prizes!