Link here: http://boxingday.redflagdeals.com/index ... e_full/66/

Are they the same modle? Is this TV good? Thanks fo any input
18 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
2212 posts
238 upvotes
Guelph
I'm willing to bet that Zellers has accidentally advertised 4 HDMI inputs (EX500) when they are probably selling the EX400 (60hz, 3 HDMI)... It would not be the first time Zellers has ****ed up with a Sony TV price ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1049 posts
57 upvotes
Hamilton
Not the same, Futureshop link has the silver baffle at the bottom, Zellers has an all black baffle. Likely the 400 series at Zellers as previous poster mentioned.
Apr 20, 2006
182 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
I think Zellers offering 46ex400 and FS offering 46ex500. Sonystyle has the ex400 at $750 now. major difference is 60 hz and 120 hz display.
Nov 20, 2006
771 posts
3 upvotes
Will Futureshop have this TV available at this price online come boxing day or in-store only?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2009
1666 posts
138 upvotes
Paradise
HUH, so you can do this? hook up a HTPC and make your TV 3D? How well does this work? Just as good as the 3D tv's?
Feb 2, 2008
121 posts
10 upvotes
Alberta
WalmartMartyr wrote: is 120Hz worth $100?
Want to know this too
The main purpose of buying this TV is to hook up PC to TV so my parents can watch programs in their native language.
Mar 14, 2005
122 posts
Is the one at Walmart the 500 or 400???
46" Sony Bravia 1080p LCD HDTV $678.00
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: It is.

Especially if you plan on hooking up a PC and using the nVidia 3D glasses

YOU CANNOT USE 120HZ TVs WITH NVIDIA GLASSES.

Sorry I had to type in caps just incase anyone actually decides to buy the TV on this advice. Only certain monitors and DLP projectors work with Nvidia glasses and do so by using dual DVI input from the same monitor/projector to the videocard. I think currently there are only 3-4 LCD monitors that support nVidia 3D glasses.

120HZ on TV is not the same as 120HZ on PCs. The way most TVs achieve their 120HZ is by interpolating (creating) frames (usually from the same frame) to achieve a "refresh" rate of 120HZ (although some may natively be 120HZ). In practice, the only benefit of 120HZ is that 120HZ goes into 24 frames without any "left over" frames. 24p is only used with movies (usually Blu Ray). No TV broadcast is done in anything besides 60 frames, and 120HZ TVs often have a larger response lag/delay than their 60Hz relatives.

So please don't buy into the market hype for 120HZ!! It won't "keep up with your hockey game on TSN HD" because no current broadcast is done at 120 frames per second, and I doubt any broadcast will be shot in 120fps for the next 10-15 years. The only benefit is for Blu Ray movies shot at 24p and many 60hz TVs have a pull down feature that may work just as well on the 120HZ models. You might like the artificial look of extra frames inserted in, but do realise that is not the actual source content.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2009
1666 posts
138 upvotes
Paradise
Asad_A203 wrote: YOU CANNOT USE 120HZ TVs WITH NVIDIA GLASSES.

Sorry I had to type in caps just incase anyone actually decides to buy the TV on this advice. Only certain monitors and DLP projectors work with Nvidia glasses and do so by using dual DVI input from the same monitor/projector to the videocard. I think currently there are only 3-4 LCD monitors that support nVidia 3D glasses.

120HZ on TV is not the same as 120HZ on PCs. The way most TVs achieve their 120HZ is by interpolating (creating) frames (usually from the same frame) to achieve a "refresh" rate of 120HZ (although some may natively be 120HZ). In practice, the only benefit of 120HZ is that 120HZ goes into 24 frames without any "left over" frames. 24p is only used with movies (usually Blu Ray). No TV broadcast is done in anything besides 60 frames, and 120HZ TVs often have a larger response lag/delay than their 60Hz relatives.

So please don't buy into the market hype for 120HZ!! It won't "keep up with your hockey game on TSN HD" because no current broadcast is done at 120 frames per second, and I doubt any broadcast will be shot in 120fps for the next 10-15 years. The only benefit is for Blu Ray movies shot at 24p and many 60hz TVs have a pull down feature that may work just as well on the 120HZ models. You might like the artificial look of extra frames inserted in, but do realise that is not the actual source content.
you sound like you know what your talking about, so I'll ask...

isnt' 120Hz different than the motionflow feature that the Tv's have now. Motion flow works with 120hz to add frames to create that soap opera look. But isn't the 120hz supposed to speed up the refresh rate so the LCD pixels change faster and thus less ghosting and blur?

Theres also the spec of refresh or whatever its called in the 2-8 ms. this is something else that helps with screen blur isn't it?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2009
1666 posts
138 upvotes
Paradise
Is their any HOT TV deal this year? I mean HOT, not "on sale" that we see previously for the same price.

Seems every TV that looks like a deal is not.

Toshiba 55" 120Hz..... Its Toshiba with poor reviews
LG 55" again, so so reviews

The 46" Sony and Samsungs for $800.... weve seen it at that price before.....
Jan 5, 2007
178 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
meg2006 wrote: I was looking at the Boxing day flyer.

Future shop has 46" Sony Bravia LCD (1080p,, 120HZ, 4 HDMI) on sale for $799.99
Link here http://boxingday.redflagdeals.com/index ... _full/239/

Zellers has 46"Sony ( 1080p, 4 HDMI) on sale for $699
Link here: http://boxingday.redflagdeals.com/index ... e_full/66/

Are they the same modle? Is this TV good? Thanks fo any input

Zellers is 60HZ
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
WalmartMartyr wrote: you sound like you know what your talking about, so I'll ask...

isnt' 120Hz different than the motionflow feature that the Tv's have now. Motion flow works with 120hz to add frames to create that soap opera look. But isn't the 120hz supposed to speed up the refresh rate so the LCD pixels change faster and thus less ghosting and blur?

Theres also the spec of refresh or whatever its called in the 2-8 ms. this is something else that helps with screen blur isn't it?

Refresh rate is in reference to how many frames per second is displayed on a TV (even if those frames are exactly the same as is the case with "motionflow" and interpolation feature to add frames to make it a 120FPS video). No video broadcast is done beyond 60 FPS and cinematic movies are usually shot and broadcasted on Blu-Ray media at 24FPS. If the source isn't greater than 60 FPS and it is native FPS (i.e. television broadcast), having a higher refresh rate will be of no benefit. This is why TV interpolate frames ("motion flow" or whatever which produces an image that is not synonymous with that actually being broadcasted and is usually repeated frames or slightly shifted frames on some TVs. As I mentioned before, the greatest (and maybe only) benefit of 120HZ TV is that 120FPS goes into 24, 5 times evenly (5-5 pulldown). There is no frames left over as there is when 60 is divided by 24.

This issue is separate from ghosting and blurring which is heavily dependent on the LCD panel itself. This issue is linked to what you are referring to in your 2nd part; response time. The delay in how quickly the pixel changes is very much linked to the quality of the LCD panel. The best way to think of this is with computer monitors. Some computer monitors have horrible ghosting or excellent response time but they all usually operate at 60Hz (some can operate higher). The response time can be from literally 0 with CRT monitors to 24ms with a MVA computer monitor. TVs have horrible response time in comparision to TN panel computer monitors because TN Panels only display 6 bits of color and have a small viewing angle. In comparision, TVs use MVA panels and such for better blacks and viewing angles but even this can range with the LCD panel. Some TV LCD panels have faster response time, better blacks, and a wide viewing angle but they are not cheap and usually have a S-IPS or S-PVA panel. TV companies also engage in LCD panel lottery for their cheaper TVs so they might initially offer S-IPS panels and then switch later on to older panels to cut costs.

I would be more concerned about the quality of the LCD panel before I care about how the TV resolves 24p content. Hopefully that sort of answers your question :) .
Sep 8, 2008
337 posts
75 upvotes
York
Hey Asad,

Whats your take on 720p vs 1080p? Most of the really good deals seem to be for 720p sets. Im looking at 46" n above sets. Is it worth buying a 720p set, or no? As in, I saw an LG 50" 720p 600hz plasma for 599.99, is that good? or should I spend more or get a smaller size and go for 1080p?

thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
DaShaggy wrote: Hey Asad,

Whats your take on 720p vs 1080p? Most of the really good deals seem to be for 720p sets. Im looking at 46" n above sets. Is it worth buying a 720p set, or no? As in, I saw an LG 50" 720p 600hz plasma for 599.99, is that good? or should I spend more or get a smaller size and go for 1080p?

thanks!

It really depends on what you plan to do with the TV, the viewing distance from the TV, and the size of the TV. Here is a reference chart for the ideal viewing distance depending on your specific conditions:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/view ... lator.html

What you might want to know is if you plan on only playing console video games or watching television broadcast; that 720p might be a better buy. This is because most console games are not NATIVE 1080p or even 720p for that manner. Case and point is Black Ops which is well below 720p on the PS3 and closer to that on the Xbox 360. The video game consoles simply upscale the image to 720p/1080p. Given that Sony wants the PS3 to have a 10 year life cycle and the Xbox 360 is still rolling along with the Kinect, I don't think we will see alot of videos games in true 1080p format until the next round of consoles.

Television broadcast is still 720p/1080i for the most part, and given how long it took to just get a small group of HD channels which isn't even all that great compared to SD (and much of the hardware still uncapable of 1080p), it will be quite a while before we probably get 1080p television broadcast. Your experience may vary if you live near the states and can pick up their HD broadcasts OTA.

Where your source will be greater than 720p is Blu-Ray movie viewing or when you have your PC hooked up to your TV. If you are using this as your PC monitor, you will definitely benefit from a 1080p resolution compared to a 720p resolution. For the movies, it is more dependent on your viewing distance from the TV that I linked above. The smaller the TV, the less evident (or the more closer) the 1080p content will be.

Personally, at $600 for the 50" 720p TV; I would spend the extra $100 and buy the LGPK250 when it drops down to $699. Although, if you only need it for watching TV or playing console games (and you expect to upgrade 5-6 years down the road); the 720p may be a good buy.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2944 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
Asad_A203 wrote: It really depends on what you plan to do with the TV, the viewing distance from the TV, and the size of the TV. Here is a reference chart for the ideal viewing distance depending on your specific conditions:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/view ... lator.html

What you might want to know is if you plan on only playing console video games or watching television broadcast; that 720p might be a better buy. This is because most console games are not NATIVE 1080p or even 720p for that manner. Case and point is Black Ops which is well below 720p on the PS3 and closer to that on the Xbox 360. The video game consoles simply upscale the image to 720p/1080p. Given that Sony wants the PS3 to have a 10 year life cycle and the Xbox 360 is still rolling along with the Kinect, I don't think we will see alot of videos games in true 1080p format until the next round of consoles.

Television broadcast is still 720p/1080i for the most part, and given how long it took to just get a small group of HD channels which isn't even all that great compared to SD (and much of the hardware still uncapable of 1080p), it will be quite a while before we probably get 1080p television broadcast. Your experience may vary if you live near the states and can pick up their HD broadcasts OTA.

Where your source will be greater than 720p is Blu-Ray movie viewing or when you have your PC hooked up to your TV. If you are using this as your PC monitor, you will definitely benefit from a 1080p resolution compared to a 720p resolution. For the movies, it is more dependent on your viewing distance from the TV that I linked above. The smaller the TV, the less evident (or the more closer) the 1080p content will be.

Personally, at $600 for the 50" 720p TV; I would spend the extra $100 and buy the LGPK250 when it drops down to $699. Although, if you only need it for watching TV or playing console games (and you expect to upgrade 5-6 years down the road); the 720p may be a good buy.

Thanks Asad, you sure know this sh*t...

Now tell me, what do you recommend to watch Jadoo TV? Sony EX500(120hz, panel unknown) or Samsung C6 series (C610,C630,C650)