None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1241 posts
105 upvotes

Same size but different style rims

Hello

I just bought 4 18" steel rims for winter tires.

Noticed once I brought home that one of the rim is different looking. It's not the same as the other 3 but the size and bolt spacing is same.

Is that an issue?

They were bought from someone on kijiji. I called him and he said last year his niece got hit front left end and they had to get a new rim cause it was bent.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22982 posts
7992 upvotes
Toronto
I guess it's too late now to get some kind of $ adjustment.

But if you don't care on the look, then it's all good. If I were you, I would freak out. :mad:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26429 posts
12560 upvotes
Ottawa
Slap on hubcaps and you're good to go.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1485 posts
347 upvotes
Not an issue but... 18" winter tires? These will be expensive. Couldn't you lower the size to 16" or 17"?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1755 posts
416 upvotes
Hometown
It could still be an issue with the inside of the rim clearing the caliper at the front.... I bought a set of used rims once and they were a mixed set from a Walmart that should have been my first clue LOL. The guy still had the receipt same part number but different looking rims...

I didn't put them on right away, when I went to put them on only two of the rims would fit at the front, because the inside of the rims was just a bit different. So I had to hit up a wrecker and get the rims changed the next year so I could rotate the tires... Although for 100 bucks for four rims and 1 yr old winter tires with 10/32 tread left I wasn't complaining much LOL.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1241 posts
105 upvotes
ToNIX wrote:
Oct 17th, 2015 6:19 pm
Not an issue but... 18" winter tires? These will be expensive. Couldn't you lower the size to 16" or 17"?
Well I just traded my old car for an suv. And part of the deal was the dealer would pay 50% for winter tires at dealer's cost too. I then sold my old winter tires with rims for $450. So I'm looking to pay around $200-250 for the new tries plus $100 which I paid for these rims.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1241 posts
105 upvotes
Canuck2fan wrote:
Oct 17th, 2015 6:50 pm
It could still be an issue with the inside of the rim clearing the caliper at the front.... I bought a set of used rims once and they were a mixed set from a Walmart that should have been my first clue LOL. The guy still had the receipt same part number but different looking rims...

I didn't put them on right away, when I went to put them on only two of the rims would fit at the front, because the inside of the rims was just a bit different. So I had to hit up a wrecker and get the rims changed the next year so I could rotate the tires... Although for 100 bucks for four rims and 1 yr old winter tires with 10/32 tread left I wasn't complaining much LOL.
You are right. That could be an issue where the inside is hitting the caliper. I will take one of each to my friend's shop and ask him to check.

The previous owner had them in a Toyota Venza
Feb 25, 2015
684 posts
535 upvotes
NB
Make sure the wheel offset is the same on all four. Your rims should be stamped something like 8J (width = 8 inches) 18 (diameter = 18 inches) ET55 (offset = 55 mm) - Google up the actual stock dimensions.

I am pretty sure 17-in alloys should clear the brakes on Venza.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1755 posts
416 upvotes
Hometown
snipe2014 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2015 7:05 pm
You are right. That could be an issue where the inside is hitting the caliper. I will take one of each to my friend's shop and ask him to check.

The previous owner had them in a Toyota Venza
Or you could just do what I should have done..... try them on the car. If you don't have the tires on the rims yet you will save that cost if you find out first. Also if you don't care about looks a wrecker would be the place I would try to get just one rim that would work.