• Mar 9th, 2017 8:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5550 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto

Same USB cable charge one phone faster than the other

Using the same charge block/USB cable my iPhone 5S charges very fast compared to my 5se, after plugging my 5se for the past hour it went up 5% where the 5 cause easily charge 25%+++.

Is there something wrong with the phone itself? Is there a way to test if the phone is charging normally without buying another cable?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30090 posts
4795 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
All things being equal

The amount of electricity flowing from the adapter is the same. The obvious limit is in the phone. Changing the cable will not make a difference.

I am assuming that you are using an iPad charger or some charger offering 2.1 or higher amperage

Try using the original 1 amp charger that comes with the iPhone and tell us if the charge rate is the same.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5055 posts
1343 upvotes
Aurora
There's definitely something wrong somewhere. Really no iPhone 5 series or SE should charge just 5% in an hour. It's unlikely to be the cable or adapter (though not impossible). I'd guess it's either the SE charging port or battery. Remote possibility is the motherboard in which case it's toast. I'd try these steps:

Try changing cables and adapters - borrow from a friend if you have to.
Then try resetting the phone to see if it might be a software issue.
Have the battery and CP checked out.

Incidentally, the 5s and SE are almost part for part interchangeable except for the charging port and battery, R-camera, and power flex.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4102 posts
1149 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
All good ideas above.

Are you comparing the charge from similar baseline? That is one phone say 12% and then plugin and other 15% and then plugin.

Can also turn off phones [so no background app running] and then charge... compare.

Have also found that over time... wear and tear... the same usb cable is snug on one device and loose on another so that might be reason as well... poor connection