Request-A-Deal

Sam's Club/Costco. Which is the Better Deal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2005 3:25 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 13, 2003
73 posts
Mississauga

Sam's Club/Costco. Which is the Better Deal?

I'm trying to decide between these two for my business - 47 employees. Which would be the better deal?
Do not be afraid of Death. Be afraid of the unlived life.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1939 posts
1 upvote
Ajax
Hmmm.... I like Costco better, only because it is closer to my house. Easier access.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I have shopped at Costco and am currently a member of Sam's Club..actually going to the Etobicoke location this morning.

I prefer Costco...their selection seems to be larger but prices are about the same. The layouts of the Costco Mississauga store and the Sam's Club in Etobicoke are almost identical...if you took away the signs you would not be able to tell the difference.

But, like I said, the difference lies in the selections...I will probably not renew my Sam's Club membership when it ends next year.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1939 posts
1 upvote
Ajax
Not sure why anyone would pay for two Club memberships? Merchandise is the same why not save your $40 bucks?
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I said that I have shopped at Costco and am currently a member of Sam's Club...not that I have a membership at Costco. It's early morning so I forgive ya. :)
Nov 5, 2002
275 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal
I am a member of both Sam's Club and Costco in Hawai'i. Had to take both as Sam's is much different in Honolulu than Costco. But I prefer Costco here on the South Shore of Montr
ROCK ON !
Gibson J-15 | Gibson SG Custom | BOSS ME-80 | Roland Cube 80gx
Previously owned: S&P Folk CW A3T, Seagull Mini Jumbo QIT, S&P HGSB CW, Norman B18 1982
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2269 posts
13 upvotes
I like Costco because its closer but I like Sams Club because it isnt busy.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
I have been a Costco member. Back when they first opened I signed up and after 6 months I only bought a handful of things from Sams. I dropped the membership and got refund.

I would suggest you sign up both and observe for a few month. Depending on the merchandise you may prefer one over the other. Then drop the one you do not want to stay.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4030 posts
152 upvotes
Etobicoke
I switched from Costco to Sam's (Etobicoke too).

Sam's has better choices of car oils (incl. synthetic) and is way less busy than Etobicoke Costco.

IMHO, Costco has better food selection, but otherwise they are the same...
Both have lifetime warranty on tires (one thing I miss is my free rotation since I got my tires at Costco in CA).
Ebay (462-0-0) - zhenya01
Heatware (28-0-0) - ViperZ
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1357 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond Hill
IHMO, Costco has a bigger selection with newer products. Sam's Club product selection (at least in the electronics/computer side) is pretty outdated and their prices are ridiculous. The 50 pk DVD for example was more expensive than they had at Wal-Mart! I don't think they keep up with competitive pricing like Costco or FS/BB/Stooples does.

The checkout lines at Sam's Club are better because they don't have as many shoppers there. It's always easy to get a parking spot close to the door and if you are a business member, you can come in at 7 am! This is a great benefit as Costco doesn't open until 10 am.

See if you can get a trial membership - I'm sure Sam's is dying for more business and would be willing to do so. Not sure about Costco but you never know if you don't ask.
Jun 26, 2005
538 posts
Toronto
I have been a member of Price Club/Costco for many years. When Sams Club came to town, I got a trial membership to check it out. I have since dropped the Costco membership even though the goods there change, the staples and stuff you really end up buying for a business can be found at both locations. Sam's club positives are as follows:
early business opening times
easy parking
staff are around to ask questions
A LOT LESS CROWDED!!
minimal line ups
pricing is the same.

It is up to you, however Sam's has been recently adding more seasonal goods and other stuff that is the "staple" diets of the club stores.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5722 posts
508 upvotes
"The checkout lines at Sam's Club are better because they don't have as many shoppers there."

According to the Sam's Club web site there are apparently only 6 locations in Canada, all in Ontario. This may not be completely up to date, but nonetheless the much trumpeted expansion into Canada seems to have stalled out which I guess says something. In my area of the country they've picked their first site but it's been on hold for quite a while - no construction has started.

Costco on the other hand has over 60 locations across Canada which is handy if you're travelling. They're far more established and more successful.

As stated by others, preference should go to whichever is in the best location for you or has a better selection of what you're interested in. All those things being equal though Costco would be the better choice because it's so well established already.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Just got back from Sam's Club an hour ago. As others have mentioned...definitely not crowded! Got a good deal on an all-beef hotdog and 24 oz soft drink for $2.14 including tax.

The selection has not really improved over the past month but they got this awesome deal on a Waring Pro professional deep fryer for about $89.00. The only difference between this model and the one I paid $225 for seems to be the cover which is plastic rather than all-steel. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
Costco has many more locations and of those, they are in *better* locations that are close to major highways (usually visible from them).
[OP]
Jul 13, 2003
73 posts
Mississauga
All good points and this definately helps me decide. I don't shop until late eve., so I don't know if that's good or bad. It seems Costco is best for my needs from what I hear so far.
Do not be afraid of Death. Be afraid of the unlived life.
× < >