• Apr 23rd, 2016 11:00 am
Tags:
None
Oct 13, 2007
94 posts
28 upvotes

Samsung 1080p or Vizio 4K?

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new TV.. I'm thinking of getting a 65". Viewing distance would be around 10-11ft.

Undecided between Samsung UN65J6300 (which seems to be the top rated 1080p set in the market) for $1200 and the Vizio D65U-D2 for $1450 (which seems to be a decent entry-mid market 4K set).

Viewing mostly streaming content online (Netflix etc) with occasional Blu-rays/DVDs.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
23 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
marvelsun wrote: Hi,

I'm in the market for a new TV.. I'm thinking of getting a 65". Viewing distance would be around 10-11ft.

Undecided between Samsung UN65J6300 (which seems to be the top rated 1080p set in the market) for $1200 and the Vizio D65U-D2 for $1450 (which seems to be a decent entry-mid market 4K set).

Viewing mostly streaming content online (Netflix etc) with occasional Blu-rays/DVDs.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Either, or, it's all going to be outdated in couple of months till they come out with something new..lol Dude I was in market looking for a new TV, and thought 3D was the way to go, and now looking at all these latest TV's, I'm totally confused what to get!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
lamboman wrote: Either, or, it's all going to be outdated in couple of months till they come out with something new..lol Dude I was in market looking for a new TV, and thought 3D was the way to go, and now looking at all these latest TV's, I'm totally confused what to get!
HDR is the "something new", and it's already available on most if not all higher end 2016 models. HDR10 or Dolby Vision, pick sides now, or buy Vizio or LG and get support for both
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
I was tempted to wait for a 75" Vizio, but the more I read about them the less I'm interested. Seriously buggy implementation, and poor upscaling quality. The reviewed P series (which isn't a cheap model) has a beautiful picture if you get a good one, but lots of people report bugs, including ones that require hard resets. This may be solved with various firmware updates, but I'm personally not used to having to reboot my TV.

I might have been tempted by the Samsung UN75J6300AF, but I would prefer to get 4K at that 75" size, plus that TV only gets OK reviews for picture quality.

So, I think I'm just going to wait it out. Maybe by Boxing Day, Vizio would have quashed most of their bugs (and their M-series will be out in Canada), or other brand 4K TVs will come down in price. If not, maybe I'll wait until 2017. The only thing I really want 4K at this time for anyway is Netflix. I'm not going to be buying 4K Blu-ray just yet. There is only one player out, and it's $600. Also, by then, maybe we'll have a better idea about who's going to win the HDR war, Dolby Vision or HDR10.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
EugW wrote: I was tempted to wait for a 75" Vizio, but the more I read about them the less I'm interested. Seriously buggy implementation, and poor upscaling quality. The reviewed P series (which isn't a cheap model) has a beautiful picture if you get a good one, but lots of people report bugs, including ones that require hard resets. This may be solved with various firmware updates, but I'm personally not used to having to reboot my TV.

I might have been tempted by the Samsung UN75J6300AF, but I would prefer to get 4K at that 75" size, plus that TV only gets OK reviews for picture quality.

So, I think I'm just going to wait it out.
75" Vizio on 1080P

75" Vizio on upscaled 1080 to 4K

I took those pics...

Samsung pls
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
The poor upscaling was with 480p and 720p. It did well with 1080p.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Would you still buy the TV knowing it can choke on 1080i upscaled to 4K externally while other brands don't have this issue?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
EugW wrote: The reviewed P series (which isn't a cheap model) has a beautiful picture if you get a good one, but lots of people report bugs, including ones that require hard resets. This may be solved with various firmware updates, but I'm personally not used to having to reboot my TV.
I've had some issues streaming Plex (image would freeze and Id have to shutdown the tv) on my 2016 P65 when I went from Ethernet to WiFi, but I finished my setup and am back on Ethernet and have no issues whatsoever. Only went with wifi because I got abit lazy to fish another drop.

Wife and I were flabbergasted as the super dark screen after years of watching on our Sharp Quattron with light bleed all over the place. Now I start noticing the light bleed on everthing, from my Dell U2711 to my Moto X Pure :(
Oct 13, 2007
94 posts
28 upvotes
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.

Does the Vizio D series also have upscaling issues? What is the difference between the various Vizio series? E/M/D/P?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
AudiDude wrote: Would you still buy the TV knowing it can choke on 1080i upscaled to 4K externally while other brands don't have this issue?
I'd still consider it. The receiver I bought has a 4K upscaler. Probably not the greatest either but supposedly ok.

The receiver also has two HDMI outputs (both for the same zone 1). If I understand the setup correctly, I could hook both up to the TV and I might even be able to set one to 1080p (to let the TV scale up from 1080p sources) and the other for 2160p (so the TV does no scaling at all). Even if I can't do this I can set up scaling in a per-receiver-HDMI-input basis to only scale 720p and 1080i sources, leaving native 1080p and 2160p content alone.

However, what's holding me back more are:

1. Not yet available in Canada of course.
2. Price for P75 likely will be $5000 or more.
3. Buggy, as B0000rt mentioned. The better stability on Ethernet is encouraging though.

That's why I think waiting might be a prudent move, esp. since my projector still works, although I'll probably need to retire its bulb within a year or so.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
EugW wrote: I'd still consider it. The receiver I bought has a 4K upscaler. Probably not the greatest either but supposedly ok.

The receiver also has two HDMI outputs (both for the same zone 1). If I understand the setup correctly, I could hook both up to the TV and I might even be able to set one to 1080p (to let the TV scale up from 1080p sources) and the other for 2160p (so the TV does no scaling at all). Even if I can't do this I can set up scaling in a per-receiver-HDMI-input basis to only scale 720p and 1080i sources, leaving native 1080p and 2160p content alone.

However, what's holding me back more are:

1. Not yet available in Canada of course.
2. Price for P75 likely will be $5000 or more.
3. Buggy, as B0000rt mentioned. The better stability on Ethernet is encouraging though.

That's why I think waiting might be a prudent move, esp. since my projector still works, although I'll probably need to retire its bulb within a year or so.
I'm sure the owners of those TVs would not do it again. I also think the two that I saw will return their TVs back to Costco and buy something else.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
AudiDude wrote: I'm sure the owners of those TVs would not do it again. I also think the two that I saw will return their TVs back to Costco and buy something else.
I assume you're being sarcastic.

Anyhoo, some owners of this TV themselves are not recommending this TV for 480p and 720p content, because its upscaling quality is noticeably worse than the competition. However, they like it for Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray and 4K VUDU, etc. (ignoring the bugs for the moment). Luckily, they are the guinea pigs and beta testers, and the rest of us in Canada who are waiting for it to arrive here can think about it and consider the options in this beta test period.

In my case, it's less likely I'd get Vizio for my main cable watching TV precisely because of the sub par rated upscaling capabilities, but I would consider it if the price is right. However, I would get only a 48" there and there are lots of options there that are reasonably affordable. That TV is for 75% cable and 25% Netflix, with half of that Netflix being kids' programs. And Vizio doesn't even make a P48 for 2016 so the P is out of the running.

The 75" Vizio I was considering is for the home theatre, where 80% of the use would be 1080p and 4K. And that's also where I have the 4K upscaling receiver.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
EugW wrote: I assume you're being sarcastic.

Anyhoo, some owners of this TV themselves are not recommending this TV for 480p and 720p content, because its upscaling quality is noticeably worse than the competition. However, they like it for Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray and 4K VUDU, etc. (ignoring the bugs for the moment). Luckily, they are the guinea pigs and beta testers, and the rest of us in Canada who are waiting for it to arrive here can think about it and consider the options in this beta test period.

In my case, it's less likely I'd get Vizio for my main cable watching TV precisely because of the sub par rated upscaling capabilities, but I would consider it if the price is right. However, I would get only a 48" there and there are lots of options there that are reasonably affordable. That TV is for 75% cable and 25% Netflix, with half of that Netflix being kids' programs. And Vizio doesn't even make a P48 for 2016 so the P is out of the running.

The 75" Vizio I was considering is for the home theatre, where 80% of the use would be 1080p and 4K. And that's also where I have the 4K upscaling receiver.
No. I am not being sarcastic. They were not impressed with the PQ on the 75" at all. When you go to Costco, you cannot see that model, it can only be ordered online, sight unseen. Costco has the 70" on display, but since I am not in the market, I didn't study it. Again, the thing didn't seem to like externally upscaled stuff. Maybe it does better on it's own, I don't know. The only reason why one guy was considering keeping it is because he just redid the whole basement and had taken several hits to the pocketbook and the TV was cheaper compared to the next closest option.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
So you don't like the TV then? I'm not sure why it would choke on externally upscaled content, unless the upscaler was bad or else it's trying to re-upscale it somehow.

Like I said, I'm not keen on this TV right off the bat because of the issues, but the price is less than the competition, and its HDR support and black levels are supposed to be very good when used with 4K and 1080p material. I'm hopeful it will be a decent choice six months from now, and maybe the price will drop then too.

If not, I will look elsewhere, or else just continue to use my projector until the bulb dies (which may be relatively soon since the projector is telling me to replace the bulb).
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
All the Vizio trashing is fine and dandy, but the Samsung J6xxx TVs are not that hot either. Personally I wouldn't touch a samsung panel below the JU series.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
I was checking out the some of the 6000 series Samsungs and I'd have to agree, I'm not keen on those either. Part of the reason is the 60Hz refresh rate, misleadingly advertised as "Motion 120". Probably 7000 and up, but unfortunately in the smaller sizes, Samsung doesn't sell most of them in Canada. Lots of models available in the US but we don't have access to them.
Jun 5, 2011
860 posts
175 upvotes
LONDON
if you are not in a rush maybe wait one more year to see where OLED pricing is at? Right now a 50" OLED is about $3K. Once that comes down to $2K the higher end LED TV's won't be able to command a price higher than $1500.

LG and Samsung are making all the OLED panels and I think Samsung sold off or is in the process of selling off their LCD/LED panel factories and committing 100% to OLED so the price will be coming down real soon.

I wouldnt worry about 4K on anything less than 65". We still have tons of SD content with all "cable" providers and I bought my HD TV ten years ago and am now thinking about a new unit. Even if you get 4K cable, will you notice a difference? I'd rather buy a high quality 1080P TV then a entry level 4K.

A lot of the current 4K TVs seem to have limitations of some sort (ex. not true 4K, 4k only supported over one HDMI port, etc.) so I think waiting a bit longer may flush out some of these gaps.
Jun 5, 2011
860 posts
175 upvotes
LONDON
EugW wrote: I was checking out the some of the 6000 series Samsungs and I'd have to agree, I'm not keen on those either. Part of the reason is the 60Hz refresh rate, misleadingly advertised as "Motion 120". Probably 7000 and up, but unfortunately in the smaller sizes, Samsung doesn't sell most of them in Canada. Lots of models available in the US but we don't have access to them.
have you spoken to someone at BestBuy. If I remember correctly, they have access to most of the Samsung line but all the high end stuff is special order.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
The models in question are not available in Canada. In the US yes, but Samsung Canada chose not to release them to the Canadian market. So, calling Best Buy won't help.

They do have higher end models for special order, but not in the sizes I'm looking for, even though they have them in the US. That's the problem.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6586 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario
Reading the TV review sites, Sony is supposed to have amazing up-scaling quality with its X1 engine, Vzio the poorest for 480/720. Another brand was supposed to be very good too, but only its higher end sets.
the 1080p seems to be the new bottom end line... but some very good prices can be found with 4K taking the upper end now.
HDR seems a work in progress, but netflix has HDR material (not much) and I think 4K bluerays are out.