• Jan 13th, 2019 10:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3432 posts
432 upvotes
Mississauga

Samsung first SIM card - switching carrier after expiring credits

Got a S9 for a relative and they are currently with Speakout, which I am just waiting for them to run down the remaining credits there before switching to Public Mobile.
That'll happen in like 1-2 months by my estimation, but I am trying to set up the phone for them and I know it will reset or customize itself to the first SIM card insertion.

Should I just throw in my Koodo SIM card or I can borrow a public mobile SIM card and let it do its usual setup for Telus network instead of Rogers?
Or I shouldn't care, just put in the Speakout SIM card now and put in the PM SIM card later.

Which one has less bloatware and I know some carrier disable certain features like volte, wifi calling, data switch from drop down or preferential LTE bands scanning?
4 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14517 posts
1829 upvotes
Toronto
The phone will factory reset each time you change carrier sim cards.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3432 posts
432 upvotes
Mississauga
audit13 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:31 pm
My understanding is that it only does the reset for first sim. I think I have tried putting a bell sim in my Samsung phone which is on Koodo and it didn't reset.

If you do a factory reset without a sim inside or run that special code *#243203855# to change the CSC back to XAC then it would reset again on the first sim insertion.
Jun 2, 2010
234 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
wing0 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 8:53 pm
Should I just throw in my Koodo SIM card or I can borrow a public mobile SIM card and let it do its usual setup for Telus network instead of Rogers?
Or I shouldn't care, just put in the Speakout SIM card now and put in the PM SIM card later.

Which one has less bloatware and I know some carrier disable certain features like volte, wifi calling, data switch from drop down or preferential LTE bands scanning?
If your relative is only going to use the S9 for just 1 to 2 months on Speakout, then put your Koodo SIM in first. This ensures you get Wi-Fi Calling and Voice over LTE later when you use the S9 on Koodo in 1 to 2 months.

My Koodo S9 had no bloatware at all, I only got four Koodo bookmarks that you can move into a folder or just delete.
audit13 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:31 pm
That did NOT happen to me when I moved my Koodo S9 to TELUS.
wing0 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:38 pm

My understanding is that it only does the reset for first sim. I think I have tried putting a bell sim in my Samsung phone which is on Koodo and it didn't reset.

If you do a factory reset without a sim inside or run that special code *#243203855# to change the CSC back to XAC then it would reset again on the first sim insertion.
Yes, I just had a long setup process when my Koodo SIM was put in my Koodo S9 and started for the first time.

There's no need to do Change Sales Code. Just change the network code -- this does NOT wipe your S9 (but CSC will wipe your S9). It only took about 15 seconds or so to change my network code from KDO (Koodo) to TLS (TELUS). Before I did this, my Koodo S9 couldn't get Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE on TELUS. After the network code change, I now have both working perfectly on TELUS.
TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15+10 GB Data
Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8 GB Data
chatr: $60 Unlimited In-zone Talk, Text and Data (20 GB at 3G speed)
Jun 2, 2010
234 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
I keep reading the first post, but it's quite vague. Is this an S9 bought from Koodo to go onto Speakout and then onto Public Mobile or Koodo? Public Mobile doesn't have Wi-Fi Calling or VoLTE now (but Koodo does).
TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15+10 GB Data
Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8 GB Data
chatr: $60 Unlimited In-zone Talk, Text and Data (20 GB at 3G speed)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)