Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Samsung Galaxy Ace - Koodo $200 ($50 Tab)

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2013 1:43 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 16, 2003
51 posts
3 upvotes
S.Chan wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2011 11:53 pm
If the Canadian version of the Ace is anything like the Canadian version (GT-S5660M) of the Gio, then you can simply add a line of code to the "updater-script" file located in the "META-INF/com/google/android/" directory of the zip file. Open up that file and add this to the assert function:

Code: Select all

getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5830D" || getprop("ro.product.product") == "GT-S5830D" ||
So the whole file should look like this:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5830" ||
       getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5830"  ||
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5830D" ||
       getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5830D"  ||
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5570" ||
       getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5570"  ||
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5660" ||
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5660M" ||
       getprop("ro.product.product") == "GT-S5660"||
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-B7510" ||
       getprop("ro.product.product") == "GT-B7510"
       );
show_progress(0.100000, 0);
show_progress(0.500000, 0);
# format("MTD", "system");
#mount("MTD", "system", "/system");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/sqlite3");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/su-v1");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/su-v2");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/su-v3");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/su");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/sh");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/busybox");
#unmount("/system");
Then re-zip everything and update using that file. Let me know if this works for you.

Yeah, kinda figure that might be all i needed to do. Just adding the extra model\product into the assert does the job. So, following the rest of the bml5 steps using the emulator works perfectly. My Ace is unlocked now and using it with Fido.

Here is the code i used (same as S.CHAN):

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5830" ||
       getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5830"  ||
	   getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5830D" ||
       getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5830D"  ||
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5570" ||
       getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5570"  ||
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5660" ||
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5660M" ||
       getprop("ro.product.product") == "GT-S5660"||
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-B7510" ||
       getprop("ro.product.product") == "GT-B7510"
       );
show_progress(0.100000, 0);
show_progress(0.500000, 0);
# format("MTD", "system");
#mount("MTD", "system", "/system");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/sqlite3");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/su-v1");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/su-v2");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/su-v3");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/su");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/sh");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/busybox");
#unmount("/system");

To WALILE - not sure what you are doing, but the bml5 method works fine. Just need to edit the zip file as suggested by S.CHAN.
Apr 12, 2011
117 posts
16 upvotes
nabzif wrote:
Oct 24th, 2011 1:45 am
To WALILE - not sure what you are doing, but the bml5 method works fine. Just need to edit the zip file as suggested by S.CHAN.
bml5 worked for me, too. Let's be clear, bml5 is for unlocking not rooting.

Rooting via SD Card also worked but the USB port on the phone failed after. It could be a co-incidence and actually a hardware rather than a software failure though. Getting my Galaxy S2 this morning, won't have time to mess with the Ace for a few days.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
walile wrote:
Oct 24th, 2011 8:57 am
bml5 worked for me, too. Let's be clear, bml5 is for unlocking not rooting.

Rooting via SD Card also worked but the USB port on the phone failed after. It could be a co-incidence and actually a hardware rather than a software failure though. Getting my Galaxy S2 this morning, won't have time to mess with the Ace for a few days.

Are you using the cable that came with the phone? I found with the Gio when it was brand new that only the Samsung cable would fully insert, so I'd get problems like you are having (charging but not recognized). Now the port is loosened up and I can use other cables with no problems.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Aug 10, 2003
124 posts
4 upvotes
is the Koodo Galaxy Ace the same as the TELUS galaxy ace? I tried editing the "updater-script" file, and re-zip the files. But still have trouble to root the TELUS Galaxy Ace. If any of you does sucessfully root the TELUS version, can you share your upd_1.zip file?

Thanks,
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2006
1083 posts
537 upvotes
Canada
EDIT: As a result of current/recent Koodo Samsung Galaxy Ace deals, I got a few PMs about this post and for a clarification of the steps to unlock the Koodo / Telus Samsung Galaxy Ace. So, here is a cleaner step-by-step:
  1. Go to my bml5 unlocking guide, you will be following all the steps there, but with one modification.
  2. The only modification is the need to manually edit one file in root_gb_gio.zip.
  3. Download root_gb_gio.zip from the guide, then perform one simple copy-and-paste to the updater-script file as I outlined in POST #14. IMPORTANT: Use Notepad to edit; read the edit below for more information.
  4. Once that is done, simply follow all the steps in my bml5 unlocking guide, but, when rooting the phone, replace root_gb_gio.zip with the one you modified in step 3 (above).
You can disregard airmin98's concern in my original post (below) about the modification to the updater-script file not working. It does work as nabzif and Beradon have reported in this thread and as others have reported via PM (when asking for clairification/assistance).

EDIT: I got a few more PMs and some have mentioned that their modified updater-script file does not work (gives a syntax error) when they use Wordpad (or Microsoft Word) to edit and the built-in Windows zip command to zip. However, when they edit the file with Notepad and zip using WinRar, it works fine. I suspect that this is due to some additional formatting that Wordpad (or Microsoft Word) introduces to the file (from tabs, etc.) when saving. So, to ensure everything works, use Notepad to edit your updater-script file.

Also, if you are not comfortable editing files, you may try a different root method from other sources (ex. xda), however, do so at your own risk as they may or may not work for the Canadian version (S5830D) of the Ace (ex. walile reported in POST #15 that using a AceGingerRoot.zip from a different site killed his USB port). Once you have rooted your phone, you can follow the rest of the instructions in my guide to obtain the unlock code.

Old Post Info:

airmin98 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2011 11:27 pm
is the Koodo Galaxy Ace the same as the TELUS galaxy ace? I tried editing the "updater-script" file, and re-zip the files. But still have trouble to root the TELUS Galaxy Ace. If any of you does sucessfully root the TELUS version, can you share your upd_1.zip file?

Thanks,

Yes, the Telus version is the same as the Koodo version.

The instructions I posted to modify the updater-script file was for the zip file (root_gb_gio.zip) in my bml5 unlocking guide (and not the upd_1.zip file in the xda thread on ace flashing/rooting; YMMV if you want to use the xda upd_1.zip file).

So, you want to download the root_gb_gio.zip file from the guide here: samsung-gio-79-99-fs-1084743/4/#post13510864 (not from the xda thread), then edit the updater-script file as I outlined here: samsung-galaxy-ace-koodo-200-50-tab-108 ... st13651862. Then follow the rest of the steps from the guide to unlock your phone.

EDIT: For simplicity, I uploaded a copy of root_gb_gio.zip file with the modified updater-script file (I renamed it root_gb_ace.zip). You can download the entire root_gb_ace.zip file here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wnz26pxg2wjg64r or the modified updater-script file by itself here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lz5mg5txwhlhoua.

EDIT: airmin98 reported a possible syntax error in the updater-scirpt file I modified in root_gb_ace.zip (however, the modification does work as reported by nabzif). So, if the root_gb_ace.zip file doesn't work for you, then you should edit the updater-script file in root_gb_gio.zip manually (via the instructions above).

EDIT: Another alternative for rooting is to use AceGingerroot.zip from airmin98's post (file seems to be from the XDA thread on Samsung Fit S5670). Then follow the rest of the bml5 instructions in the guide above to unlock.
[/size]
Aug 16, 2003
51 posts
3 upvotes
My USB port works just fine on my phone...i transferred a file back and forth using the USB cable.
Apr 12, 2011
117 posts
16 upvotes
Well, if none of you guys are having trouble with the USB mass storage after rooting your phone, then maybe I am actually having a hardware failure. Hell of a coincidence though.
Aug 10, 2003
124 posts
4 upvotes
HI S Chan,

I still have trouble using the root_gb_ace.zip file. it should the following error msg
------------------------------------------------
--Install / sdard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (Status 6)
Installation aborted.

Btw, what version of recovery do you have? Mine is Android syste recovery (3e)

Any idea what's going on?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2006
1083 posts
537 upvotes
Canada
airmin98 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2011 11:15 pm
HI S Chan,

I still have trouble using the root_gb_ace.zip file. it should the following error msg
--Install / sdard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (Status 6)
Installation aborted.

Btw, what version of recovery do you have? Mine is Android syste recovery (3e)

Any idea what's going on?
Are you running the stock Galaxy Ace ROM (the update file is for the stock Samsung ROM)? If you flashed a custom ROM on it, your phone is likely rooted already.

Status 6 is a syntax error (usually in the updater-script file). I looked through the the updater-script file in the root_gb_ace.zip I uploaded and don't see any problems with it.

Have you tried rebooting your device and trying again?

If you have, then you can try downloading root_gb_gio.zip from the Gio thread, edit the updater-script file yourself, re-zip it, and try updating from that. If this fixes it, let me know, and I'll remove the root_gb_ace.zip link in my previous post.

Other than that I am not sure why you are having problems with it.
Aug 10, 2003
124 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks S. Chan for the quick reply.

YES, The phone is brand new out of BOX, and using stock ROM, not custom ROM.

I ended up using the AceGingerroot.zip from http://www.multiupload.com/1ZDGP3M867
(A user from this thread reported that his pc doesn't recognize his phone after using the above zip, but mine is fine)

then use the Bml5 method to get the unlock code

Then use the unroot.zip to unroot the phone from http://androidflip.com/wp-content/uploa ... unroot.zip
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12666 posts
5023 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
walile wrote:
Oct 27th, 2011 12:29 am
Well, if none of you guys are having trouble with the USB mass storage after rooting your phone, then maybe I am actually having a hardware failure. Hell of a coincidence though.
Are you using the stock cable that came with the phone? Have you tried another cable?

Some cables and some miniUSB to microUSB adapters will only charge or data transfer, but not both. See DX's website for examples of these.

Then again, microUSB plugs and jacks are quite small and not very strong. I bent the plug on an adapter to the point that it broke trying to recharge my Gio in the car simply from the weight of the phone laying on an angle in a cup holder. (There was no surface in the car large enough to put the Gio down flat as I do at home.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
236 upvotes
S.Chan wrote:
Oct 30th, 2011 12:33 am
Are you running the stock Galaxy Ace ROM (the update file is for the stock Samsung ROM)? If you flashed a custom ROM on it, your phone is likely rooted already.

Status 6 is a syntax error (usually in the updater-script file). I looked through the the updater-script file in the root_gb_ace.zip I uploaded and don't see any problems with it.

Have you tried rebooting your device and trying again?

If you have, then you can try downloading root_gb_gio.zip from the Gio thread, edit the updater-script file yourself, re-zip it, and try updating from that. If this fixes it, let me know, and I'll remove the root_gb_ace.zip link in my previous post.

Other than that I am not sure why you are having problems with it.
Hi S.Chan, on a slightly different issue, I need your advice.
I unlocked the phone using your bml5 method. Now I need to root it. I tried to root my Galaxy Ace from this thread. I followed the instructions and get a Status 7 error when I try to install the upd_1.zip file. Looking inside the zip I also find an updater-script file. Is it likely that the error is occurring because the "getprop" isn't listed with the specific S5830d entry just like in the root_gb_gio.zip?
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2006
1083 posts
537 upvotes
Canada
Beradon wrote:
Nov 17th, 2011 8:04 am
Hi S.Chan, on a slightly different issue, I need your advice.
I unlocked the phone using your bml5 method. Now I need to root it. I tried to root my Galaxy Ace from this thread. I followed the instructions and get a Status 7 error when I try to install the upd_1.zip file. Looking inside the zip I also find an updater-script file. Is it likely that the error is occurring because the "getprop" isn't listed with the specific S5830d entry just like in the root_gb_gio.zip?

If you've already unlocked your phone using the bml5 instructions, then your phone is already rooted (the modified root_gb_gio.zip file you applied roots your phone which, in turn, gives you access to the bml5 partition).

To double-check, see if there is a superuser icon in your menu; if its there, your phone is rooted.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
236 upvotes
S.Chan wrote:
Nov 19th, 2011 10:05 pm
If you've already unlocked your phone using the bml5 instructions, then your phone is already rooted (the modified root_gb_gio.zip file you applied roots your phone which, in turn, gives you access to the bml5 partition).

To double-check, see if there is a superuser icon in your menu; if its there, your phone is rooted.

You're right. Thanks!

btw; Have you been able to flash other 3rd party firmware(like CM7 Cyano Ace) on your Galaxy Ace? I've visited xda-dev forums and all of the firmware seems to be tailored for the european or asian version of the Ace.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Dec 21, 2005
65 posts
6 upvotes
North Vancouver
If you don't want to root the phone or modify it I have a way to get you both the NCK and SP factory unlock codes to fully unlock it without voiding warranty.
You simply insert a non-accepted sim card and when it asks for the codes, enter.

Otherwise the bml5 works fine