Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy Ace Technical Thread (Split from the "Hot Deals" thread by qca7e)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2013 9:37 am
Tags:
None
Jun 18, 2008
546 posts
156 upvotes
Burnaby
Robotman wrote:
Jan 4th, 2012 11:54 pm
I have successfully rooted and unlocked the phone thanks to S. Chan's.
Here is a question... supposed I decided to return the phone back to the store and since it is already been rooted and unlocked.
Is it possible to changed back to the original locked version so that they know it hasnt been unlocked..
Is it once unlocked remains unlocked?
Thanks

i doubt they will add a sim card to check if its still working. just need to change it back to original rom and unroot it
Mar 8, 2007
198 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
rulerman wrote:
Jan 4th, 2012 7:34 pm
Hi guys,
After trying 5-6 Roms out there I found one that looks good and the battery life is amazing.
You should try it : TheMyth ICS-Lite. Looks like stock and not much tweaking but with ICS theme, it has some scripts inside- take a look.
After 12 hours of light use I am still at 80% of battery.
Regards

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1376039

I spent some time with this one also and liked it. The phone screen was closer to stock which I liked. Still might go back to it but the recent custom roms buy kevinlekiller and Hiroshirou (which I'm about to test) are very good. So many roms...
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49337 posts
14598 upvotes
flipside wrote:
Dec 12th, 2011 5:56 pm
I doubt that you can get it to work with umts 900/2100 with kodoo or telus (GT-S5830D) version of the Ace, it will be limited by the hardware. You need the crystal diodes physically present(not sure if this is still the case, used in the ham radio days) in the phones circuitry to pump that frequency.

Yes the phone works on rogers GSM network, I am currently with speakout (7-11 on rogers), i did get GPRS and EDGE signals. Lately it was running on umts, a bonus on getting 3G signals. Hopefully it stays.

Good to know this Koodo Tab SGA works on Speakout. What kind of speed are you getting Flipside?

Anyone else can confirm this? TIA.
Jul 8, 2003
321 posts
8 upvotes
Robotman wrote:
Jan 4th, 2012 11:54 pm
I have successfully rooted and unlocked the phone thanks to S. Chan's.
Here is a question... supposed I decided to return the phone back to the store and since it is already been rooted and unlocked.
Is it possible to changed back to the original locked version so that they know it hasnt been unlocked..
Is it once unlocked remains unlocked?
Thanks

Just flash with stock rom and do a factory reset. It will relock the phone. If you are still on stock rom, unroot and do a factory reset.
Jul 8, 2003
321 posts
8 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 5th, 2012 11:22 am
Good to know this Koodo Tab SGA works on Speakout. What kind of speed are you getting Flipside?

Can't really tell you as I did not elect for the the data plan with speakout, I use wifi but seldom use it as I prefer a much larger screen. Check speakout forums http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/speak/
Dec 23, 2011
38 posts
9 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I have flahsed the ICSsunday, the battery meter works seems sth wrong.
is there a way to fix it without flashing some rom?
'cause I already back it up and installed lots of apps, it is a hassle to reinstall them.

thanks

and if I flash back to stock, can I use the KIES without factory reset?
Mar 8, 2007
198 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
caibird wrote:
Jan 5th, 2012 2:14 pm
'cause I already back it up and installed lots of apps, it is a hassle to reinstall them.

thanks

I suspect everyone here knows this but for other Android noobs like myself you can 'push' apps from the market website on your PC/Mac to your device. More Android magic. You can install them much faster and easier this way (click, click, click). I must have reloaded a dozen or more apps on the phone itself 4 or 5 times switching between ROMs before I found this.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49337 posts
14598 upvotes
superporky wrote:
Jan 5th, 2012 3:17 pm
I suspect everyone here knows this but for other Android noobs like myself you can 'push' apps from the market website on your PC/Mac to your device. More Android magic. You can install them much faster and easier this way (click, click, click). I must have reloaded a dozen or more apps on the phone itself 4 or 5 times switching between ROMs before I found this.

Thanks. Didn't know this.
Jun 18, 2008
546 posts
156 upvotes
Burnaby
caibird wrote:
Jan 5th, 2012 2:14 pm

thanks

youre supposed to calibrate your battery.

gonna copy and paste how you can do it

How to Calibrate your battery
1. (phone on) charge to 100% until it actually says full in settings > about phone > status > battery status
2. unplug charger and turn off phone
3. (phone off) plug charger in until it charges to 100%
4. unplug charger and power it on
5. (phone on) plug the charger in and charge it to 100%
6. unplug charger and reboot phone to recovery (into cwm5)
7. go to advanced and clear battery stats.
8. turn on the the phone and charge it to 100% - DONE!

once you do this you wont need to do this anymore afterwards unless the rom youre installing contains the calibration script, in which case will mess up your stats again. (i removed this script from the unofficial ics final v3 rom)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2008
1355 posts
129 upvotes
need little help again.
When I did a restore I got error while formatting sd-ext, tried re-partition with no error but just couldn't format it. From PC also can't see both partitions.
How can I fix this error and what kind of tool do I need?
Mar 8, 2007
198 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
superporky wrote:
Jan 5th, 2012 3:17 pm
Thinking more about this, there must be a better way. Instead of reinstalling everything each time can I just backup the contents of the app folder (apk files) flash the new rom then put them back to the app folder? I'm guessing permissions will need to be fixed too.

Will that also save/ transfer my progress on angry birds?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6898 posts
2181 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 5th, 2012 11:22 am

I'm getting 3+ download. On my phone is a H meaning HSPA. There's a thread in Electronics/Cell phone re. Speakout and Samsung Galaxy Ace and data.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 23, 2011
38 posts
9 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
if flash back to stock rom, if I flash, will the phone still keep rooted? i know if it is back,the network for sure is locked.

what about the unlock code generated last time , is it still usable?

thanks
Dec 23, 2011
38 posts
9 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
does sb have the FM radio with scanner ? or they have the one like the stock one?
checked market,most of them are streaming radio.

thanks
Dec 3, 2011
146 posts
58 upvotes
MTL
New rom : Barebones rooted Koodo stock rom with mods.

[IMG]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2811/shot000001.png[/IMG]

Basically this is a a rom with the koodo startup animation, wallpaper, 47mb of removed stock apps (over 100 files).

Added : Dolphin browser mini / root browser lite / canadian gps.conf / secgps.conf / lagfreev1 / turboboost 8.5 / cf root b82ex with ext4 partitions /
koodo apn settings / superuser / tweakmanager / iphone ringtone and notification / newest market 3.4.4 / build.prop mods

I left touchwiz / swype. I didn't add cf root b83 because of all the reported bugs. If you want it you can flash it from recovery (it allows to overclock up to 902mhz).

Check here for a guide how to install the rom / restore apps you want : http://forums.redflagdeals.com/samsung- ... st14029160

(requires CWM to install)
Rom: http://www.multiupload.com/L07444S9SH

Removed apps: http://www.multiupload.com/ARRRAMTNE8