Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy Ace Technical Thread (Split from the "Hot Deals" thread by qca7e)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2013 9:37 am
Tags:
None
Dec 25, 2011
1 posts
Montreal, Quebec
bleuwave wrote:
Dec 24th, 2011 1:37 am
Coderom Guide+Tweaks
Thank you for this! I flashed my galaxy ace with coderom and it's wonderful!

One problem though: my screen doesn't turn off even though I chose the option to turn if off after 30 seconds. It only turns off when it's on the lock screen. Anything I can do?

Thanks again!
Dec 23, 2011
38 posts
9 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
thanks for your instruction,
I have a few questions about stock rom

1 after flashing back, is it still rooted?

2 Is the unlock coed generated sitll the same like before?

3 Can I use Kies after flashing back?

4 I have installed the CWM5 to flash the custom rom, will this affect the resuming stcok rom?

5 Is the Odin version used in WINXP interface and option tick is the same like the one for WIN7?

6 I heard the stock rom has both TELUS and Koodo interface, how can I choose from them?

too much LOOOL,
appreciate your kind help

thanks a lot

thank a lot
Dec 3, 2011
146 posts
58 upvotes
MTL
caibird wrote:
Jan 6th, 2012 6:23 pm
thanks for your instruction,
I have a few questions about stock rom

1 after flashing back, is it still rooted?

2 Is the unlock coed generated sitll the same like before?

3 Can I use Kies after flashing back?

4 I have installed the CWM5 to flash the custom rom, will this affect the resuming stcok rom?

5 Is the Odin version used in WINXP interface and option tick is the same like the one for WIN7?

6 I heard the stock rom has both TELUS and Koodo interface, how can I choose from them?

too much LOOOL,
appreciate your kind help

thanks a lot

thank a lot

1. Flashing back to stock with odin using the stock rom , you get a stock phone, so no.

2. I don't know, probably.

3. Yea, on a real stock rom (what I posted 2 posts above isn't stock anymore).

4. No.

5. Don't know, I don't have windows xp.

6. It's automatic.
Dec 3, 2011
146 posts
58 upvotes
MTL
New guide: How to use flipfont's on cm7.

Have you purchased a flipfont on the stock rom and now you are disappointed that you can't use it in CM7 ?

Here's the solution: install the flipfont from the market.
It will install in the data/app folder, go there with root browser, copy it and paste it on your sdcard.

Connect your phone to your PC and turn on USB transfer.
Copy the com.??.apk (name depends on the font) file to your pc.
Open the .apk with 7zip or winrar, go in the assets/fonts folder , copy the .ttf file to your desktop.

Make 2 other copies of that ttf file. Name them like this : Clockopia.ttf, DroidSans.ttf, DroidSans-Bold.ttf

Copy these 3 files to your phones SD card.
Turn off USB transfer, go in root browser, /system/fonts , make a backup of Clockopia.ttf, DroidSans.ttf, DroidSans-Bold.ttf
(copy them to a folder on your SD card) once they are backed up, delete them (the ones in /system/fonts).

Copy the 3 ttf files we renamed earlier to /system/fonts and change their permissions to rw-r--r-- , reboot.
Enjoy.
Dec 23, 2011
38 posts
9 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
kevinlekiller wrote:
Jan 6th, 2012 6:30 pm
1. Flashing back to stock with odin using the stock rom , you get a stock phone, so no.

2. I don't know, probably.

3. Yea, on a real stock rom (what I posted 2 posts above isn't stock anymore).

4. No.

5. Don't know, I don't have windows xp.

6. It's automatic.

thanks for the answer

one more question

if I flash back to stock rom, it is a stock then, can I use the same method which S.Chan provided to root and unlcok it?
thanks a lot
Dec 3, 2011
146 posts
58 upvotes
MTL
caibird wrote:
Jan 6th, 2012 7:30 pm
thanks for the answer

one more question

if I flash back to stock rom, it is a stock then, can I use the same method which S.Chan provided to root and unlcok it?
thanks a lot

Yea.
Dec 23, 2011
38 posts
9 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
is there a way to properly display the Chinese character? there is always some word like 口口, I tried to find the ttf, and updated it,but seems still some problem,can anyone help?

TIA
Jan 11, 2008
118 posts
16 upvotes
caibird wrote:
Jan 7th, 2012 6:00 am
is there a way to properly display the Chinese character? there is always some word like 口口, I tried to find the ttf, and updated it,but seems still some problem,can anyone help?

TIA

If you know how to replace the chinese font, ( I think it is the /system/Fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf) just google 文泉驿微米黑 and download the font and rename it to DroidSansFallback.ttf and replace the one in the font folder and set permission. Reboot and good to go. And also you can go to market and download MoreLocale 2 to set locale to Chinese.
Dec 23, 2011
38 posts
9 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I have flashed back to stockrom just to know I can go back,so selling or service should be no problem.

I flashed back then found the unlock code is useable ,so no problem.
then I installed the CWM 5.0.26, made a couple of backups.but soon I found out, seems the phone is not rooted again.
I used S.Chan's method to root it again,but seems it failed. when I typed the' su'., it just pops out permission denied.

anybody has that kind of experience?
but some apps seems works well,i found a couple of them poped up 'failed to transport sth', then I just go back to recovery then restore the image i made before,it worked again.

any fix for this?

thx
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12683 upvotes
caibird wrote:
Jan 7th, 2012 6:00 am

TIA

When you say improper display, did you mean while browsing Chinese websites or characters, say, in emails?
Dec 23, 2011
38 posts
9 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 8th, 2012 12:14 am
When you say improper display, did you mean while browsing Chinese websites or characters, say, in emails?

address book and some txt files, it will diaplay properly in PC,but here I just can make it right.
seems the ttf file in the system is not complete.

website browsing is okay.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12683 upvotes
Eniac360 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2012 7:10 pm
Yeah, battery usage sucks... Android in general really.

On my Nexus S, I would get a day and half of normal usage out of it (includes 8 hours of sleep).

On My Galaxy Ace, I get about 24 hours, but I just overclocked my CPU to 940 and it seems to running really stable... don't know how much that will affect battery life, but meh...

I ordered a bunch of batteries off of eBay with the wall chargers, so I will just add them to the rotation...
kevinlekiller wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 7:23 pm
samsung-galaxy-ace-technical-thread-spl ... st13933426

I tried stock rom 2 times but didn't stay on it long enough, I tried coderom which is close to stock and the battery life was pretty bad. Right now I'm getting pretty good battery life with the ICS final I posted. Still calibrating battery but 86% right now after 6 hours 25 mins with light use ( 15 mins of browsing / 40 mins of playing sudoku ) couple of short phone calls. 84% deep sleep 10% 122mhz 4% 787 mhz.

Using the phone you will get bad battery life with any rom.
superporky wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2012 9:41 pm
On the topic of battery, what do you think about the cheap Ace batteries on eBay? Some claim to be 1600mAH and even 2430mAH. I figure it is usually safer to stick with OEM stuff. Any experience? Will my phone explode?

Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread. I am rom flash happy, its becoming an addiction.
caibird wrote:
Jan 4th, 2012 8:56 pm
battery pack with 2 lion battery,could chagre 2 or 3 times for the phone.

anybody used that thing before?

What exactly do these customized ROM's do to lower energy consumption, besides lowering CPU speed, which one can do with a rooted phone? Anyway to force remove Bell applications like GPS Navigation? Can Titanium backup force a complete application removal?

I bought two sets (2 batteries + charger) from ebay for $8 each. Not an engineer so I won't know if these knock-offs will be any good after a few charges but it's well worth a try for $16 or so. I can probably complain through ebay if they are duds after 10 or so charging/use cycles if the power seller won't budge with a partial refund request but how high tech is Li-Ion battery technology anyway, besides it being more prone to explosions (compared to other battery types)?
Nov 11, 2007
123 posts
27 upvotes
Hi, trying to apply the gps changes (is the one dated from dec 29th the last one?)
but I can't modify the permissions at all!

I tried: delete, move etc and nothing works!

At the same time i don't know if its related but I have google maps 5.11 and have the 5.8 apk version but cant update it. I tried to delete 5.11 it with root explorer but doesn't allow me. Is this related?

What am I missing?
Thanks
Nov 11, 2007
123 posts
27 upvotes
Davidlekiller:
Thanks so much for your amazing work!

What is the final decision on baseband, do we stay with the stock one ?
Does the wifi work with KPH?

Havent heard anything about baseband changes in a while..
Nov 11, 2007
123 posts
27 upvotes
Just checked XDA forums and seems like Justada's ROM just got killed by Justada due to a debate with complainers and people asking for ETA's all the time.

What a pitty!