Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy Ace Technical Thread (Split from the "Hot Deals" thread by qca7e)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2013 9:37 am
Tags:
None
Sep 26, 2006
78 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks S.Chan.

You helped answer one of my previous question. It's not really a problem for me but are we saying that once I unlock the Gio (originally issued by Bell) the phone cannot ever be used on the Bell system again.

Is this true?
Nov 29, 2011
6 posts
Toronto
Following this thread I get an error when i try to install the update "error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 6) Installation aborted".. went back to bleuwave post to get it working...
S.Chan wrote:
Dec 4th, 2011 9:54 pm
I wasn’t originally planning on updating my bml5 unlocking guide, but due to the recent increase of PMs, here is an updated guide that works for both the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830D and the Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M.

And for those having difficulty finding your unlock code in the bml5.img file, I wrote a short java program that’ll automatically find the unlock code for you.

Updated Android Terminal Emulator bml5 Unlocking Guide

Disclaimer
  • There is always a risk of bricking/damaging your phone when performing an unlock
  • Perform the following bml5 method at your own risk
What You Need
  1. Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M or Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830D
  2. microSD Card with SD Card Adapter
  3. Windows PC with SD Card Reader
  4. (Optional) Windows PC with Java (JRE) installed
Preparation
  1. Fully charge your phone
  2. Do not put in a SIM card in the phone
  3. Turn off your phone
Rooting the Phone
  1. Download this root_gb_modified.zip file: http://www.mediafire.com/?5v46ksgmh1m4p0m
  2. Copy root_gb_modified.zip to the root directory of your SD card on your computer
  3. Insert the SD card into the phone
  4. Turn on the phone in recovery mode by holding the HOME and POWER button
  5. Using the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons highlight the Install Update option and confirm the selection with the HOME button.
  6. Using the VOLUME UP/DOWN and HOME buttons, select the root_modified.zip file and run the update
  7. Using the VOLUME UP/DOWN and HOME buttons, select the reboot option
  8. Verify that the SuperUser application icon appears on the last page (by default) of the menu screen
Obtaining the bml5.img File
  1. On your phone, download and install Android Terminal Emulator from Android Market over Wi-Fi
  2. Boot up the Android Terminal Emulator application
  3. Using the on-screen keyboard, type

Code: Select all

su
    A prompt will appear; you must select ALLOW to give superuser access to the application
    Image Image
  4. Type

cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img
    N.B.: The l in bml5.img is the letter "L" and not the number "1"
  5. Now turn off your phone
Obtaining the Unlock Code
Easy Method
N.B.: The Easy Method requires that you have Java (JRE) installed on your PC. If you do not have Java (JRE) installed, you can download and install it from Oracle Java’s website or use the Original Method below.
  1. On your PC, copy the bml5.img file from your SD card to your computer
  2. Download this bml5_analyzer.jar file: http://www.mediafire.com/?t373oqamfnnxd3m
  3. Run bml5_analyzer.jar and select your bml5.img file
  4. Copy down your eight digit numeric unlock code (blacked out in screenshot below) and close the program.
Original Method
  1. On your PC, copy the bml5.img file from your SD card to your computer
  2. Open the file using WordPad
    N.B.: As bml5.img is a 9 MB file, this may some time to open.
  3. Under the EDIT menu, click FIND and search for a series of three sets of eight zeroes (i.e. search for "00000000")
    N.B.: In my file, the first set of eight zeroes appeared after clicking FIND NEXT 36 times
    Image Image
  4. Your eight digit numeric unlock code (blacked out in screenshot below) will appear before the three sets of eight zeroes; copy this down
Unlocking the Phone
Standard Method
  1. Put in a non-native SIM card into the phone (i.e. for the Gio a non-Bell/Virgin/Solo SIM Card and for the Ace a non-Telus/Koodo SIM Card).
  2. Turn on the phone.
  3. You will see a prompt asking for the network code.
  4. Using the on-screen number-pad, enter your eight digit unlock code.
  5. If successful a prompt will say "Network unlock successful". If not, then it will say "Network unlock unsuccessful"
  6. To double-check, bring up the lock status screen by dialing this number:

*#7465625#
    N.B.: All the locks on the screen should have "[OFF]" displayed
  7. You have now successfully unlocked your phone! You can also uninstall the Android Terminal Emulator application if you like.
Alternate Method
N.B.: These commands were found from a Google Search and have not been tested by me.
  1. Turn on your phone without a SIM card.
  2. Using the phone’s dialer, dial one of the following (replace CODE with your eight digit numeric unlock code):

#7465625*638*CODE#
    OR

*#7465625*638*CODE#
    OR

#0111*CODE#
  3. If successful a prompt will say "Network unlock successful". If not, then it will say "Network unlock unsuccessful"
  4. To double-check, bring up the lock status screen by dialing this number:

*#7465625#
    N.B.: All the locks on the screen should have "[OFF]" displayed
  5. You have now successfully unlocked your phone! You can also uninstall the Android Terminal Emulator application if you like.
Additional Information
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6986 posts
654 upvotes
Testing_XP wrote:
Dec 4th, 2011 10:19 pm
Thanks S.Chan.

You helped answer one of my previous question. It's not really a problem for me but are we saying that once I unlock the Gio (originally issued by Bell) the phone cannot ever be used on the Bell system again.

Is this true?

Noop. Unlock phone can be used on any network. Though the Gio is odd that you need to enter the code again after a factory reset, so keep your unlock code(like write it down on a small paper and tape it next to the IMEI beneath the battery).
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2006
1083 posts
418 upvotes
Canada
Testing_XP wrote:
Dec 4th, 2011 10:19 pm
Thanks S.Chan.

Is this true?

No, after unlocking, you can use your phone on any network.
joebcan wrote:
Dec 4th, 2011 10:23 pm
Following this thread I get an error when i try to install the update "error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 6) Installation aborted".. went back to bleuwave post to get it working...

Hrmm... odd... seems like some people are getting Status 6 while others aren't.

I didn't notice bleuwave modified my original guide and uploaded it to a Google Docs. I'll update my post above with his file then.
Nov 29, 2011
6 posts
Toronto
Thanks S. Chan!!! and thanks Bleuwave.. the orig instructions from S.Chan simplified by bleuwave worked for me.. following the latest S. Chan gave me a status 6 (aborted install) error and the jre file said the bml5.img file was invalid. I had to open in notepad and search for the eight zeros.. but its unlocked and working beautifully now. Thanks again!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2006
1083 posts
418 upvotes
Canada
joebcan wrote:
Dec 4th, 2011 10:58 pm
Thanks S. Chan!!! and thanks Bleuwave.. the orig instructions from S.Chan simplified by bleuwave worked for me.. following the latest S. Chan gave me a status 6 (aborted install) error and the jre file said the bml5.img file was invalid. I had to open in notepad and search for the eight zeros.. but its unlocked and working beautifully now. Thanks again!
Hrmm.. I actually haven't had a chance to test the java program with an Ace bml5.img file. I've tested it with 3 different Gio bml5.img files and it works fine. If someone is willing to upload their Ace bml5.img file for me to test, please PM me. Thanks.
Mar 8, 2011
104 posts
24 upvotes
S.Chan wrote:
Dec 4th, 2011 11:11 pm
Hrmm.. I actually haven't had a chance to test the java program with an Ace bml5.img file. I've tested it with 3 different Gio bml5.img files and it works fine. If someone is willing to upload their Ace bml5.img file for me to test, please PM me. Thanks.

Sent you PM S.Chan! I also got the invalid error from your app but found the unlock code doing the text search method. Thanks for providing the awesome info to everyone!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2006
1083 posts
418 upvotes
Canada
tsm28 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2011 1:42 am
Sent you PM S.Chan! I also got the invalid error from your app but found the unlock code doing the text search method. Thanks for providing the awesome info to everyone!!!

Thanks for the file. I've updated my java program to be compatible with the Ace bml5.img.

For the new java program, please see my updated guide above.
Jul 6, 2009
301 posts
37 upvotes
Vermilion AB
easy peasy, unlocked and free, thanks schan and bleuwave
2010 Contest Wins :D

T45 Tassimo Brewer - Tassimo Canada - 06 May
FIFA Wallpaper I-Coke May 13
FIFA COKE soccer ball I-Coke May 13
Coke t-shirt I-Coke Nov 8
Jul 26, 2011
333 posts
20 upvotes
Great tutorial guys. Really helpful. This is a gem of a phone, and to be able to unlock it to use it on any provider is a huge bonus.
Blackberry Bold 9900 + Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Late 2010 Macbook Pro 2.66 GhZ C2D, 8 gb RAM
iPad 64g WiFi+3G
Jul 31, 2004
149 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
vr6man25 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2011 2:44 pm
does anyone know if I can put CYANOGENMOD on the samsung gio. ? anyone?
I load Ice Cream Sanday2 which is based on CYANOGENMOD on the phone. It's great and I am happy! :) Read this thread there is a nice guide posted for upgrade.

This is my first time with android staff so I spent quite a lot time in the weekend to learn stuff... It's fun.
× < >