Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy Ace Technical Thread (Split from the "Hot Deals" thread by qca7e)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2013 9:37 am
Tags:
None
Dec 8, 2011
1 posts
LEAMINGTON
Hi does anybody know how to unroot a Samsung Galaxy Gio. I rooted using S.Chan's method but I had an error with my micro-sd card and I had to reformat it and now the phone is running slow and wasting more battery life. Thanks.
Oct 23, 2009
2 posts
Montreal, Quebec
I have the "D" model as well. 2.3.4. Rooted & Unlocked. With Koodo.

I was just about to flash GingerReal 2 when I happened upon this forum. As a Canadian I'm partial to trust the words spoken here. I am curious however how Hiro ICS v4 compares to GingerReal 2?

Is the issue that GingerReal is "Based on Android 2.3.6 XWKT7" and therefore the wrong baseband? Having my phone unlocked removes any issue here though, correct?

I think I'm going to go ahead and flash GingerReal if I don't hear back here soon. It seems to have a larger dev team than Hiro alone, whom I'm sure did a great job, so I think it is more appropriate for my first custom ROM.

Thanks
Nov 11, 2007
123 posts
27 upvotes
@ Kevinlekiller

Hi Kevin,
Been following your in the XDA forums. Your ROM " The end 2.5" and love your work! so First of all Keep it up with the great work, and secondly thanks!
I noticed that the "canadian Version" wasn't so popular, so you just used CM 7.2 by V0-1 and added the best sripts around and now it Rocks! Great Job.

A few questions:
-Are you going to downgrade Flash from v11 to v10.3 or similar? Should I worry about v11 or does it just work OK?
-If the "Disable journaling Script" works and makes the phone work better why isn't included in the ROM; do you recommend it? what are the disadvantages?
-About the GPS functionality for Canada; I know that you include the "lagloose" fix: Do I, should I add the "PFGPS fix by PFittech? on top or lagloose it O.K.
-If I get the Deodexed version does that mean that I could just use Root Browser to delete: Clock, Email, Gallery, News and Weather?

After this changes all I need to do would be update to LagFree V3 and I would have the Fastest and Most stable ROM I can think of.
Finally: I know that the golden rule is not to ask for ETA, but I can feel it in the air that The end 3.0 its coming not to long from know, thinking on Flashing it over the weekend, should I Flash or should I wait?? ;)
Thanks in Advance
Dec 3, 2011
146 posts
58 upvotes
MTL
NAFTAGO wrote:
Jan 31st, 2012 5:11 pm
@ Kevinlekiller

Hi Kevin,
Been following your in the XDA forums. Your ROM " The end 2.5" and love your work! so First of all Keep it up with the great work, and secondly thanks!
I noticed that the "canadian Version" wasn't so popular, so you just used CM 7.2 by V0-1 and added the best sripts around and now it Rocks! Great Job.

A few questions:
-Are you going to downgrade Flash from v11 to v10.3 or similar? Should I worry about v11 or does it just work OK?
-If the "Disable journaling Script" works and makes the phone work better why isn't included in the ROM; do you recommend it? what are the disadvantages?
-About the GPS functionality for Canada; I know that you include the "lagloose" fix: Do I, should I add the "PFGPS fix by PFittech? on top or lagloose it O.K.
-If I get the Deodexed version does that mean that I could just use Root Browser to delete: Clock, Email, Gallery, News and Weather?

After this changes all I need to do would be update to LagFree V3 and I would have the Fastest and Most stable ROM I can think of.
Finally: I know that the golden rule is not to ask for ETA, but I can feel it in the air that The end 3.0 its coming not to long from know, thinking on Flashing it over the weekend, should I Flash or should I wait?? ;)
Thanks in Advance

Hi, Flash 11 isn't working with cm 7.2 , I tried both versions. Flash 10.3 as a system app doesn't work, I didn't try it as a normal app.
Disable journaling increases speed but you can supposedly lose data under certain circumstances.
I read pfgps doesn't work with those stock libs. You can edit gps.conf with canadian ntp servers.
You can delete those on the odexed version too, delete the .odex files.

I might make a minor update patch in the next week or two to remove flash (unless I find one that works) and add Lagfree v3.

To add Lagfree v3 you need to delete the old script first because he typed it differently and the old one stays there.

Edit: Looks like we are getting official CM 7 soon, so I will hold off.

CHANGELOG (notable new features or fixes)
---------

### 7.2.0
* New devices: Samsung Galaxy Ace, Mini, and Epic.
LGE Optimus Black, 3D, Hub, Pro, Sol, and One.
Motorola Atrix.
Sony Ericsson Xperia Live, Pro, and Active.
Huawei U8150
Nov 11, 2007
123 posts
27 upvotes
Hi Kevin:
As always a big thanks for your fast and great response!
That's Great news about getting CM7 officially; I think the latest CM7.2Vo-1 version that you are using has only a few glitches, and it must be getting very close to a finished product; maybe that's why the CM community decided to invest just a little bit of time and take it to finished product??

-Does this means that the CM community will start releasing "nightlies"??
-What happens when the ROM has no more bugs to iron, does the process ends and call it a finished CM7 product, or do they keep improving it constantly like in the XDA forums?
-Once CM finishes CM7; will they automatically get started working on the CM9 version or do they have to consider it for some time and then make a decision?

Re: Flash, if you have youtube and the phone works without flash and you can surf the net (not that our Ace its great for surfing for a long time) wihtout it; what does Flash actually do? Do we actually need it?
Based on your response I will wait for your next version (will be incredible)
And for what I understand for the canadian version I need GPS Fix by lagloose (which you will add into the ROM) and then add the PFGPS for Canada fix; is this correct? Is the PFGPS necessary after Lagloose?

Thanks again,
I'm learning a lot from you.
Dec 3, 2011
146 posts
58 upvotes
MTL
NAFTAGO wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 11:15 am
Hi Kevin:
As always a big thanks for your fast and great response!
That's Great news about getting CM7 officially; I think the latest CM7.2Vo-1 version that you are using has only a few glitches, and it must be getting very close to a finished product; maybe that's why the CM community decided to invest just a little bit of time and take it to finished product??

-Does this means that the CM community will start releasing "nightlies"??
-What happens when the ROM has no more bugs to iron, does the process ends and call it a finished CM7 product, or do they keep improving it constantly like in the XDA forums?
-Once CM finishes CM7; will they automatically get started working on the CM9 version or do they have to consider it for some time and then make a decision?

Re: Flash, if you have youtube and the phone works without flash and you can surf the net (not that our Ace its great for surfing for a long time) wihtout it; what does Flash actually do? Do we actually need it?
Based on your response I will wait for your next version (will be incredible)
And for what I understand for the canadian version I need GPS Fix by lagloose (which you will add into the ROM) and then add the PFGPS for Canada fix; is this correct? Is the PFGPS necessary after Lagloose?

Thanks again,
I'm learning a lot from you.

Hi, as far as nightly builds, those are usually unofficial and built from the latest source code, which is what our current unofficial CM7 builds are based on.
It is an official CM7 device now (the ace), so if they do continue releasing newer versions of CM 7 (probably not, because of CM9) , the ace will get updated as well as all the other devices on their list.
The galaxy ace will not get an official CM9 release because of its hardware. Edit: But we might get MIUI now.

Yes, youtube videos work without flash (with the youtube app), I thought it was needed for youtube videos which is why I included it.
I'm not sure why anyone would want flash other than youtube on a phone (maybe they use some other flash video website?).

It already comes with the gps files by lagloose, you don't need to add PFGPS (it can actually make the gps not work with it). You can edit the gps.conf yourself and change the ntp servers , it's in /system/etc
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
236 upvotes
elamalaka wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 11:05 am
New updated files for better gps locking on Ace.

1) If you used my previous files then delete the /data/gps directory and all of its contents. (These file were also included in the coderom "how to" post and a post by kevinkiller).
2) Replace gps.conf in /system/etc. Change permissions to 644 (rw r r)
3) Copy xtra.bin into the /data change permissions to 755 (rw w w).
4) Reboot your Ace.

Note: These files are country specific for Canada form tweak PFGPS v2.0 FIX. Use at your own risk.

Have fun!!
Do you have updated links for the files above? The links aren't working at the moment.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5458 posts
1169 upvotes
Markham
Help!!!

My phone seems to be stuck. It says

Sorry! The application Samsung Home (process.com.sec.android.app.twlauncher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

It says Force Close which I do and it keeps coming up with the same message and won't let me do anything.

Just before this, I updated some apps and then moved some to SD Card (eg. Dell Voice, Go SMS Pro, Widgetzoid).

I powered off the phone because the Widgetzoid seemed stuck updating and then I got this message that the Samsung Home won't work.

Don't know what to do.

Can somebody help? Phone is rooted and still running base Koodo rom.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5458 posts
1169 upvotes
Markham
gr8dlr wrote:
Feb 17th, 2012 7:26 pm
Help!!!

My phone seems to be stuck. It says

Sorry! The application Samsung Home (process.com.sec.android.app.twlauncher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

It says Force Close which I do and it keeps coming up with the same message and won't let me do anything.

Just before this, I updated some apps and then moved some to SD Card (eg. Dell Voice, Go SMS Pro, Widgetzoid).

I powered off the phone because the Widgetzoid seemed stuck updating and then I got this message that the Samsung Home won't work.

Don't know what to do.

Can somebody help? Phone is rooted and still running base Koodo rom.

EDIT:

Should've just googled it myself but I was panicking.

Found a solutions so I'm posting

No need to reset. Only one condition is to have your phone connected and signed in to Google account.
Clean up your Home app data is all you need. You will loose your icons on your Home screen, nothing more.
Step by step:
Use your Google account and login to Android Market web.
Find and install your second Home app by pushing it into your phone from the web. I personally preffer GO Launcher EX.
If installation succeed, lock and unlock or restart your phone. Then you should see the dialog of switcher of default Home app.
Do not set any app as default, you will make it later! Choose your second Home app, and woala, your phone is working again.
Go into the Settings menu and follow: Applications - Manage applications - All and find your primary Home app, wich is Samsung Home in my case.
Tap on this app to get info about it and force it to stop. Finaly clean up the cache and the data.
Now you can use the Home Switcher or the Home Manager app to manage your default Home app.
Good luck! ;)
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3446 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
bleuwave wrote:
Dec 11th, 2011 9:41 pm
Wake up delay fix -

Just installed this - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... stcount=20

and wake up delay is completely gone.

make sure you don't install the baseband from that post (refers to "Phone" on Odin)

edit: this is now a perfect phone.
Does this fix work with the Gio?
bleuwave wrote:
Dec 12th, 2011 12:38 am
after a ton of testing today, the above linked is probably the best OS our phone can have for now.

It's a stock rom without any annoying boot animation, no screen wake up lag, with apps to sd. also shows network provider properly.
this is a long term keeper. I probably wont be changing roms now that I've researched a ton and feel like there are no more issues.
also, the animations feels faster and normal and not laggy like what i had with the cyanogenmod IC2. everyone seemed to brag about it, but honestly speaking, it's not as great as I would like to admit due to some lag issues.

also, feel free to ask me any questions about this.
Which rom are you using now?
Jan 4, 2007
28 posts
GVRD
followed this guide to the t...
got a code 950...59

tried twice on koodo's galaxy ace using rogers sim card and it is a no go.
got 3 tries left (out of 5!).
what am i doing wrong?
BC, Canada
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3446 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
I've followed S.Chan's guide on how to unlock the Samsung Gio and I was wondering is all I have to do to restore the phone to it's original state is do a factory reset in the phone settings? I haven't install any roms. How do I un-do the root I did?
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2926 posts
471 upvotes
Aurora, ON
mskip wrote:
Feb 20th, 2012 9:35 pm
got a code 950...59

what am i doing wrong?
Did you use the bml5_analyzer.jar file (from post 30 of this thread) for the code you're using?

Also, I did mine a long time ago, it said is wasn't unlocked but it actually was..that happened to a few of us I think.
Mar 16, 2008
193 posts
98 upvotes
Arviat
mskip wrote:
Feb 20th, 2012 9:35 pm
got a code 950...59

what am i doing wrong?

3 tries left refers to entering your PIN that you setup on your Rogers sim card...So enter your PIN to get into the Rogers sim card and then when the phone boots up you can enter your uinlock code etc.... ;)
Sep 12, 2007
154 posts
13 upvotes
Coquitlam
i've been using bleuwave's CM7.2 mod from his post and...

i've noticed my phone has gotten super slow and laggy when i first turn it on from sleep just to check texts and it's brutally slow at times...but it gets faster the longer its on...almost as if it's booting up slowly. i was wondering if there were some options under performance i can tweak to make this faster? i have no idea why it is so slow...all i have is facebook and whatsapp...

sorry if this is an amateur question but i really am annoyed by this...is this what you guys call wake up lag? i really don't mind changing roms altogether if there's one truly faster