Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy Ace Technical Thread (Split from the "Hot Deals" thread by qca7e)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2013 9:37 am
Nov 1, 2011
17 posts
S.Chan wrote:
Dec 5th, 2011 2:54 am
I wasn’t originally planning on updating my bml5 unlocking guide, but due to the recent increase of PMs, here is an updated guide that works for both the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830D and the Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M.

And for those having difficulty finding your unlock code in the bml5.img file, I wrote a simple java program that’ll automatically find the unlock code for you.

Updated Android Terminal Emulator bml5 Unlocking Guide

• There is always a risk of bricking/damaging your phone when performing an unlock
  • Perform the following bml5 method at your own risk
What You Need
  1. Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M or Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830D
  2. microSD Card with SD Card Adapter
  3. Windows PC with SD Card Reader
  4. (Optional) Windows PC with Java (JRE) installed
  1. Fully charge your phone
  2. Do not put in a SIM card in the phone
  3. Turn off your phone
Rooting the Phone
  1. For the Galaxy Gio, download this root_gb_gio.zip file from psyfactor's post: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jzvnlbhidsd5f6l
    Or, for the Galaxy Ace, download this root_gb_ace(2).zip file from bleuwave's post: http://www.mediafire.com/?i3302znn0xb5azv
  2. Copy root_gb_gio.zip (for Galaxy Gio) or root_gb_ace(2).zip (for Galaxy Ace) to the root directory of your SD card on your computer
  3. Insert the SD card into the phone
  4. Turn on the phone in recovery mode by holding the HOME and POWER button
  5. Using the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons highlight the Install Update option and confirm the selection with the HOME button.
  6. Using the VOLUME UP/DOWN and HOME buttons, select the root_gb_gio.zip (for Galaxy Gio) or root_gb_ace(2).zip (for Galaxy Ace) file and run the update
  7. Using the VOLUME UP/DOWN and HOME buttons, select the reboot option
  8. Verify that the SuperUser application icon appears on the last page (by default) of the menu screen
Obtaining the bml5.img File
  1. On your phone, download and install Android Terminal Emulator from Android Market over Wi-Fi
  2. Boot up the Android Terminal Emulator application
  3. Using the on-screen keyboard, type

Code: Select all

A prompt will appear; you must select ALLOW to give superuser access to the application
    Image Image
  4. Type

cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img
    N.B.: The l in bml5.img is the letter "L" and not the number "1"
  5. Now turn off your phone
Obtaining the Unlock Code
Easy Method
N.B.: The Easy Method requires that you have Java (JRE) installed on your PC. If you do not have Java (JRE) installed, you can download and install it from Oracle Java’s website or use the Original Method below.
  1. On your PC, copy the bml5.img file from your SD card to your computer
  2. Download this bml5_analyzer.jar file: http://www.mediafire.com/?eveka9uyycmxxbq
  3. Run bml5_analyzer.jar and select your bml5.img file
  4. Copy down your eight digit numeric unlock code (blacked out in screenshot below) and close the program.
Original Method
  1. On your PC, copy the bml5.img file from your SD card to your computer
  2. Open the file using WordPad
    N.B.: As bml5.img is a 9 MB file, this may some time to open.
  3. Under the EDIT menu, click FIND and search for a series of three sets of eight zeroes (i.e. search for "00000000")
    N.B.: In my file, the first set of eight zeroes appeared after clicking FIND NEXT 36 times
    Image Image
  4. Your eight digit numeric unlock code (blacked out in screenshot below) will appear before the three sets of eight zeroes; copy this down
Unlocking the Phone
Standard Method
  1. Put in a non-native SIM card into the phone (i.e. for the Gio a non-Bell/Virgin/Solo SIM Card and for the Ace a non-Telus/Koodo SIM Card).
  2. Turn on the phone.
  3. You will see a prompt asking for the network code.
  4. Using the on-screen number-pad, enter your eight digit unlock code.
  5. If successful a prompt will say "Network unlock successful". If not, then it will say "Network unlock unsuccessful"
  6. To double-check, bring up the lock status screen by dialing this number:

N.B.: All the locks on the screen should have "[OFF]" displayed
  7. You have now successfully unlocked your phone! You can also uninstall the Android Terminal Emulator application if you like.
Alternate Method
N.B.: The commands in #2 below were found from a Google Search and have not been tested by me.
  1. Turn on your phone without a SIM card.
  2. Using the phone’s dialer, dial one of the following (replace CODE with your eight digit numeric unlock code):

3. If successful a prompt will say "Network unlock successful". If not, then it will say "Network unlock unsuccessful"
  4. To double-check, bring up the lock status screen by dialing this number:

N.B.: All the locks on the screen should have "[OFF]" displayed
  5. You have now successfully unlocked your phone! You can also uninstall the Android Terminal Emulator application if you like.
Additional Information

3ks. I unlocked my galaxy mini dart(sgh-t499) from mobilicity.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6256 posts
Can someone upload a copy of the original koodo firmware? I need to send my phone back for warranty, but don't have the original :(
Mar 21, 2011
616 posts
Anyone knows how we can make not to re-lock the phone after a factory reset is done.
Feb 21, 2007
109 posts
Internal Memory full issue driving me insane. Solutions/recommendations?

I need a "For Dummies" version...lol
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
1980 posts
North York
I am looking for the stock rom too.

I found one on sammobile but it messed up my network setting so I had to flash it back to coderom. I need to take it back to koodo because of a hardware issue, phone keeps turning off for no reason.
Jun 20, 2008
918 posts
When I used the jar software to find the code I got 00000000 as the unlock code.
When I used the hex file software I found the actual code, but when I try to unlock it always says unsuccessful on the Galaxy Ace 5830d.

Any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3854 posts
chris_iginla wrote:
Jul 14th, 2012 6:17 pm
Internal Memory full issue driving me insane. Solutions/recommendations?

I need a "For Dummies" version...lol
I had the same problem...look up Link2SD in this thread or online. It helps a lot but I still periodically run into the low memory problem at which time, I have to re-evaluate leaving some of the apps on the phone. I uninstalled Angry Birds yesterday as I haven't played it in some time.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 30, 2007
25 posts
1 upvote
S.Chan, you are the man! Thank you so much for this great guide! I'm no noob, but this stumped me to unlock 4 phones thus far and this worked just fantastic! Merry Christmas!
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2431 posts
After downloading and loading the Android Terminal Emulator, it didn't ask if I wanted to be a SUPER USER. So I just typed in "su" and it did nothing.

I don't want/need to root my phone. I just want to unlock it. My phone at the time had no sim card in it (maybe it needs it?), and it did have a memory card to save the file to it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...

EDIT: I just realized I might need to root my phone, just to unlock it. But the file is no longer on the mediafire website making it impossible to do so.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2431 posts
Michael 07 wrote:
May 1st, 2012 1:35 pm
Excellent tutorial ! Worked 100%, on new Kodoo Samsung Ace from FS (2012/4/28). Now I am back to my 7-Eleven (7-Eleven is using Rogers Network). Also many thanks not just for a tutorial, but the actual code generating program from S.Chan and for sharing it with others. Cheers!
Just for the info - I first tried to get the code from couple paid websites (called like "cellunlockcodes" or something similar), before I came across this forum. One charging $6.99 other around $8, but after couple days they both failed to produce the code (these websites looked very similar to each other and I am still waiting for a refund). I have the feeling that this cell/mobile phone can not be "cracked" only with IMEI numbers, it needs to be connected to code generating program. Maybe the other websites that offer code generation trough the connection to their servers are able to crack the code (as I did with my Sam Gio about a year ago), but first, they charge between $20 to $50 and second, they don't give you the code to keep (I don't know if there is any way to retrieve the code from the phone once it's there).
Once again cheers to S.Chan!
"actual code generating program from S.Chan"

Where do we find the link to this? Which page of the thread? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3854 posts
kevinlekiller wrote:
Jan 1st, 2012 7:09 pm
Edit: Newer, better rom here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1440396

ROM + Guide : ICS Final + changes. Aka: ICS Final mod

First, thanks to jusada , slaid480 , ketut.kumajaya , chainfire , nims11 , Grif_07 , GadgetCheck , djsky2011 , EmoBoiix3 and many others for all their hard work and time and the files/info.

What's different from ICS Final?

Calculator, Calendar/Storage/Provider , Deskclock Widget , Download app , Email (gmail not removed) , FM radio , Gallery 3D ( I use quickpic instead, it is faster) , ICS Theme/Theme Manager/Theme Chooser ,
Media Uploader , Music , Pico TTS/TTS Service

Market 3.4.4 , Turbo Boost 8.5 , gps.conf , boot animation (Android Particle Ring Blue) , Dolphin browser mini (stock browser removed) , blackhawk kernel by ketut.kumajaya , build.prop

Iphone ringtone/notification , Root browser free , LagFreeV1 , torch

You can download the removed apps here. To add the ones you want, open IceCreamSundayFinal.zip and add them in system/app (before installing the rom) :

If you already installed the rom, copy them with root browser to system/app (don't install them, long press on it to see the menu with copy/paste/permissions) , set permissions to rw-r--r-- , reboot the phone.

1. Download The files:
The ROM Without tweaks (Overclocks better? I put the deep sleep build.prop tweaks in this one as well so battery use will be good too, I recommend this one) :
http://www.mediafire.com/?47k9ha4zu8ytfhg /// http://www.multiupload.com/Z2Z4YB1PHM /// MD5: aa23c332d82476e34c1ab967a93f5ece
The ROM With tweaks (UI feels slower to me, possibly uses less battery):
http://www.multiupload.com/24JLWTNAQ0 /// MD5: 591e70c92c8ee132f5f76423013f9f47

ClockWorkModAce: http://www.multiupload.com/GXL1PWOSDE MD5: 08e4419cfb83fbd4217c5f486778f5e4
recovery-clockwork- http://www.multiupload.com/IY2M1YV0QT MD5: ba3d09df567757081da5dd6e8fb2d0b0

2.Connect your phone to your pc with the USB cable, turn on USB transfer from the phone's status bar.
3.Copy the 3 zip files to your phone's SD card. Safely remove the drive from your pc (lower right corner in windows, eject/unmount in linux or mac).

(If you already have CWM, Skip to step 6) (Use Volume Up/ down to move up/down , home button to select items, back to go back.)
4.Shutdown the phone. Press Home and hold it, press power until your phone is on and let go of power, let go of home when you are in recovery, install ClockWorkModAce.zip from your SD card.
5.Reboot, go in to recovery, install recovery-clockwork-
6.Reboot, go in to recovery, wipe data/factory reset , go in mounts and storage ; format /system ,
press back ; go in advanced ; wipe dalvik cache, press back, go to install zip from sdcard, choose IceCreamSundayFinal.zip
press back, reboot system now.
(Don't worry if you get a sd-ext error, it's because your sd card doesn't have a 2nd partition).
Setting it up:

Skip Set up your google account(no internet connection, we will do it later). Press next ( I unticked the location options, up to you if you want or not).

Go in Settings,
Wireless & Networks:
Turn on and set up wifi / bluetooth if you use them.
Mobile networks : Turn off Data enabled if you don't use mobile data.
If you use data go in : Access Point Names:
Push on the Telus SP text (not the circle),
Name: Koodo SP ; APN: sp.koodo.com ; Proxy: ; Port: 80 ; Username/Password/Server are blank ; MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc ; leave the rest like it is.
Press Back and push the circle.

CyanogenMod Settings:
Input: Haptic feedback tweaks ; Untick Haptic feedback main if you don't like it ( saves battery too )

Interface: Status bar tweaks: Battery style "percentage" ; Tick Compact carrier label ; Tick Status bar brightness if you want it (change brightness by sliding finger on it)
Press back , go down to Overscroll effect , push on none.

Performance: Tick 16 bit transparency, Allow Purging of assets.

Sound: Mute camera shutter

Screen preferences: Untick Wallpaper Scrolling

Drawer Settings: Go down and untick: Animated Drawer, Fade app labels

General Behavior: Untick Sense previews

System Preferences: Scrolling cache "Low quality"

UI Settings: Main Dock Style (I usually set it to 5 and add market, browser, phone, camera )

Animation: No animations
Screen timeout: 30 seconds

Location & Security:
Untick Use GPS Satellites

Applications: Tick Unknown Sources
Development: Untick USB debugging notify , Tick Stop app via long-press.

Accounts & Settings:
Add your google account. (now that we have an internet connection)
Disable Auto-sync if you want to save some battery (add the power widget to the desktop and setting the wifi turns on / off sync if you don't want it to work on 3g).

Reboot the phone.
Install SetCPU from the market or from the official thread :
(use Root browser and go to sdcard to install the apk)

Run SetCPU and click Autodetect Speeds. Allow Superuser.

Tick Set on boot.

Go to Profiles, tick enable / notifications.
Add profiles:
In call: Max 787200 , Scaling conservative , Priority 100
Screen off: Max 122880 , Scaling powersave , priority 90
Charging: Min 245760 , Max 825600 (set higher if you want, depends on the phone, I set it to 902400) , Scaling ondemand , Priority 80
Battery: 50% , Max 787200 , Scaling conservative , priority 70
Battery: 101% , Max 806400 , Scaling ondemand (set to conservative to save more battery) , priority 60

(Set min CPU speed to 245mhz to fix wake up lag, uses more battery however.)

Add different/more profiles if you want, these are the ones I use.

Install Quickpic from the market (faster than Gallery)

You can add the power control widget to your screen to turn on wifi ( and you can set it to turn on / off sync ) and flashlight / etc. I use this instead of the status bar one (which you can disable in Cyanogenmod settings).

If you want different wallpapers / ringtones go to zedge.com or install their app from the market. Or in dolphin browser there is a speed dial link for wallpapers.

If you use an alternate keyboard, after you set it up, delete Latinime.apk/odex and UserDictionaryProvider.apk/odex from system/app with root browser.

secgps.conf (faster gps lock) : http://www.multiupload.com/5CHFKN2BF8 ; Copy secgps.conf in the zip file to your SDcard, then copy it to /data/gps/ with root browser (press your finger on it for a few seconds to see the copy and permissions option) , change persmissions to rw-r--r--

Live wallpapers : http://www.multiupload.com/9TJH4LHDKD ; Copy LivewallpapersPicker.apk to system/app with root browser , set permissions to rw-r--r--

Google maps 5.8 (doesn't lag or crash, don't update it to the newer one) : http://www.multiupload.com/6BYO7YOOS7 ; Copy to google maps 5.8.apk to system/app with root browser , set permissions to rw-r--r--

Adobe Flash : http://www.multiupload.com/NWQZY0UKU0 ; Extract and copy to SD and install as a normal app with Root browser.

How to Calibrate your battery ; guide by Hiroshirou :
1. (phone on) charge to 100% until it actually says full in settings > about phone > status > battery status
2. unplug charger and turn off phone
3. (phone off) plug charger in until it charges to 100%
4. unplug charger and power it on
5. (phone on) plug the charger in and charge it to 100%
6. unplug charger and reboot phone to recovery (into cwm5)
7. go to advanced and clear battery stats.
8. turn on the the phone and charge it to 100% - DONE!

How to use link2sd:
Insert your SD card into your pc's SD card reader.
Format it with minitool partition wizard (gparted with linux) , make a primary (not logical) partition fat32 use everything but 500MB , make the 2nd partition primary and ext3 using the rest of the 500mb.
Install link2sd from the market, open it and choose the ext3 option, set it to move apps automatically in the options.
Sorry to bump up a old thread but I got another phone and am now in the process of "playing" with my old ACE which had a stock ROM to make it better to "hand me it down". Wondering if these links are still good. Whenever I hit one of these "www.multiupload.com/#######" links I get to some Ilivid site but can't get the files. What am I doing wrong?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 25, 2006
437 posts
St. John's
There is still some valuable information here, but I usually go with xda forums for new info/roms. Two newer releases WP-Gamerz and now Nitrogen have absolutely blazing fast performance and great memory even with the old Ace. They use the internal memory as swap and let you use an EXT4 memory partition on your SD card as internal memory (I have mine at 2GB for programs on a class 10 microsd). There's no increased degradation of the card or nand. I'm able to run some graphically demanding 3D games with these roms whilst also maintaining good battery life and buttery smooth gui. The community definitely injects life into an aging device..

With Telus/Koodo Ace's, there are a few things that need to be fixed to unroot/flash as mentioned here due to the proprietary baseband version, but I can help you with anything you need to get started (just a modified rooting file). Just pop me a PM if you have any further questions or need certain files.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6551 posts
looniepincher wrote:
Apr 12th, 2013 1:30 am
Anyone successfully unlock their Ace recently and if so what method did you use?
Used post #30 http://forums.redflagdeals.com/samsung- ... 1126251/2/ but instead of the root_gb_ace(2).zip file I used AceGingerRoot.zip found at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... ostcount=7

I just unlocked the Ace. Do I use Titanium Backup now and freeze all the bloatware or install Jellybean first through CyanogenMod and then do the Titanium Backup?
× < >