Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy Ace Technical Thread (Split from the "Hot Deals" thread by qca7e)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2013 9:37 am
Tags:
None
Dec 3, 2011
146 posts
58 upvotes
MTL
kevinlekiller wrote:
Dec 4th, 2011 6:35 pm
I don't currently have the phone so I can't test, would using the Galaxy II XXKI4 modem file work? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... ostcount=5 ( I assume it wouldn't work )

Can the modem.bin file be extracted from a stock ROM backup using a program like ROM Manager and then flash it back with Odin?

After a few hours of searching I think this is how it is done (still don't have phone ; it is in the mail, collecting info before I get it):
Root the phone, set up your phone and the android SDK so you can use adb (guides on xda).

In adb type : dd if=/dev/block/bml4 of=/sdcard/modem.bin bs=4096 , this will dump the bml4 block into modem.bin on your sd card.

Once I get the phone I will do this and post it here and on XDA(the ki4 modem.bin file). To flash the modem.bin file you need odin with the cooper ops file ( you can get that on samfirmware ).

In odin click ops and choose the cooper.ops file, click phone and pick the modem.bin file.
Turn off your phone, push the middle button ( under the screen ) the power button and volume down all at the same time, you should see a picture.
Plug the usb cable, and in odin you should see on the left by com port the color should change, click start and wait until it finishes.

Edit: From the post bellow bml5 is copied with the command cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img , so bml4 is in /dev/bml4 , not /dev/block/bml4 ? I assumed that from the tutorials I've seen on the galaxy s 2 ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... ostcount=9 )

Now I'm wondering if it can be done from the terminal directly on the phone instead of setting up the android SDK.

Edit: I think with adb it is /dev/block , and with the terminal it is /dev/bml4 . I'll try both ways and make several dumps of each and compare them for fun.
Obviously I'm a beginner at this, so I don't advise you to try this.
Jan 29, 2007
133 posts
83 upvotes
S.Chan wrote:
Dec 4th, 2011 9:54 pm
Updated Android Terminal Emulator bml5 Unlocking Guide
Obtaining the Unlock Code
Easy Method
N.B.: The Easy Method requires that you have Java (JRE) installed on your PC. If you do not have Java (JRE) installed, you can download and install it from Oracle Java’s website or use the Original Method below.
  1. On your PC, copy the bml5.img file from your SD card to your computer
  2. Download this bml5_analyzer.jar file: http://www.mediafire.com/?eveka9uyycmxxbq
  3. Run bml5_analyzer.jar and select your bml5.img file
  4. Copy down your eight digit numeric unlock code (blacked out in screenshot below) and close the program.
Thanks ==> Nice program ==> will add to OP!
Will add too ==> Thanks!
Jul 31, 2004
162 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
vr6man25 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2011 3:11 pm
wycf
you put it on the samsung galaxy ace
or samsung GIO.
Galaxy Ace.(Are we talking Ace here? ;) )
Jul 31, 2004
162 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
kevinlekiller wrote:
Dec 5th, 2011 3:28 pm
After a few hours of searching I think this is how it is done (still don't have phone ; it is in the mail, collecting info before I get it):
Root the phone, set up your phone and the android SDK so you can use adb (guides on xda).

In adb type : dd if=/dev/block/bml4 of=/sdcard/modem.bin bs=4096 , this will dump the bml4 block into modem.bin on your sd card.

Once I get the phone I will do this and post it here and on XDA(the ki4 modem.bin file). To flash the modem.bin file you need odin with the cooper ops file ( you can get that on samfirmware ).

In odin click ops and choose the cooper.ops file, click phone and pick the modem.bin file.
Turn off your phone, push the middle button ( under the screen ) the power button and volume down all at the same time, you should see a picture.
Plug the usb cable, and in odin you should see on the left by com port the color should change, click start and wait until it finishes.

Edit: From the post bellow bml5 is copied with the command cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img , so bml4 is in /dev/bml4 , not /dev/block/bml4 ? I assumed that from the tutorials I've seen on the galaxy s 2 ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... ostcount=9 )

Now I'm wondering if it can be done from the terminal directly on the phone instead of setting up the android SDK.
Sorry to ask: what is this mod does? change the baseband? what.s the benefit?
Dec 3, 2011
146 posts
58 upvotes
MTL
wycf wrote:
Dec 5th, 2011 4:06 pm
Sorry to ask: what is this mod does? change the baseband? what.s the benefit?

Saves battery, increases signal strength, resolves problems with connection issues. Edit: helps GPS too.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1289830

The koodo Galaxy ace comes with xxki4 modem , that modem.bin file hasn't been posted to the internet yet (I've seen some for other phones, but I doubt they are compatible with the galaxy ace).

Edit: See this for more GPS tricks: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1320626
Jul 8, 2003
321 posts
8 upvotes
Hiroshirou wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2011 7:10 pm
I modded my koodoo ace last month with cyanomod 7.1 using ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.2.6 thats found on xda forums.

heres the way i did it (assuming you already rooted and unlocked the phone using schan's method)

1. format an empty sd card
2. copy the clockwordmod to root of sd card.
3. hold home button(the only button the face of the phone) while holding down power button
4. install zip file > clockworkmod
5. restart. and repeat step 3. you should have a new recovery screen (blue instead of orange)
6. (most important step) Backup your phone so you can flash back to stock in case something goes wrong
7. wipe data/factory reset
8. format sd card
9. copy cyanogenmod to the root of sd card
10. just like step 4, install zip file > cyanogenmod

its been several weeks now since i flashed it. i havent had any problems with it at all. bluetooth/3g works perfectly. I did have to calibrate the batteries tho (which is simply charging the battery until the status says full and going to clockworkmod and clearing battery stats and letting it run without charge until it dies)

Im probably going to flash to Icecream sunday 2 soon. it looks really clean and seems to be much more faster even though cyanogenmod 7.1 is already faster than the stock koodoo rom
Any guides on how to back up the phone. thanks,
Sep 26, 2006
84 posts
8 upvotes
All of this talk about ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) has got me hungry. LOL

I upgraded my Samsung Gio back in September using FastGSM because people back then suggested it was the safer route. I’m curious to know whether I’ll be able to upgrade to ICS when it become available?
Dec 3, 2011
146 posts
58 upvotes
MTL
flipside wrote:
Dec 6th, 2011 12:34 pm
Any guides on how to back up the phone. thanks,

Install CWM and there's an option to do a backup. It makes a folder called clockworkmod , copy that to your pc.
Testing_XP wrote:
Dec 6th, 2011 12:52 pm
All of this talk about ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) has got me hungry. LOL

I upgraded my Samsung Gio back in September using FastGSM because people back then suggested it was the safer route. I’m curious to know whether I’ll be able to upgrade to ICS when it become available?

There probably won't be an official ICS for the ace, and CM are not making an official ICS ( CM9 ) either. There are people working on an unofficial ICS on the XDA forum.
Jul 8, 2003
321 posts
8 upvotes

I was looking at the script on recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.6-galaxyace-fix.zip

it says:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5830L" ||
getprop("ro.product.board") == "GT-S5830L" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5830L" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5830B" ||
getprop("ro.product.board") == "GT-S5830B" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5830B" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5830T" ||
getprop("ro.product.board") == "GT-S5830T" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5830T" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5830" ||
getprop("ro.product.board") == "GT-S5830" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5830" ||
getprop("ro.product.model") == "GT-S5830"
);
ui_print("Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830");
ui_print("Clockwork Recovery 5.0.2.6");
ui_print("Flash recovery...");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/stl12", "/system");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/system/app/CWMManager.apk");
unmount("/system");
assert(package_extract_file("recovery.img", "/tmp/recovery.img"),
write_raw_image("/tmp/recovery.img", "recoveryonly"),
delete("/tmp/recovery.img"));
ui_print("Done!");

Not sure if it will work on the Kodoo version, it is GT-5830D. Seems like the script file need to be modified to get CWM 5 installed. Did anyone have problems installing the zip file?

thanks,
[OP]
Banned
Aug 21, 2006
629 posts
93 upvotes
GTA
Will this modem.bin file fix some minor issues with wifi? and the screen turn-on lag...

WIll flash when I get home a couple of days from now...
Dec 3, 2011
146 posts
58 upvotes
MTL
bleuwave wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 7:29 pm
Will this modem.bin file fix some minor issues with wifi? and the screen turn-on lag...

WIll flash when I get home a couple of days from now...

It is the stock modem file from koodo, its for those who want to try other modems but want a way to go back to stock.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1289830

To go in download mode , press volume down + power + home buttons at the same time.

For the 2 at the bottom you need CWM installed , you put the file on your SD card and flash it through CWM.

If you try these modems and want to go back to stock , download the file I uploaded and extract it , compress it to a .tar , then you flash like those other files (with odin).

Edit for those interested: If you want to get the modem.bin from your phone, you need to root it first, then install terminal emulator, type su , press enter , type cat /dev/block/bml4>/sdcard/modem.bin , press enter, it will be on your SD card, 25,600kb.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 21, 2006
629 posts
93 upvotes
GTA
ok. it will come in handy if i figure out the whole need for the modem file or someone gives a more convincing reason. my number one *small* problem right now is the screen turn-on lag.

anyone know the solution to fixing the screen turn-on lag?
[OP]
Banned
Aug 21, 2006
629 posts
93 upvotes
GTA
kevinlekiller wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 7:50 pm
I read 2.3.6 fixes it, you can get it on XDA in general section.

Damn...serbian rom

the screen lag is the ONLY bug there is with this phone. I like this phone more than my iPhone because I've made it perfect looking and functioning except for this screen bug

sigh...
Dec 3, 2011
146 posts
58 upvotes
MTL
bleuwave wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 8:10 pm
Damn...serbian rom

the screen lag is the ONLY bug there is with this phone. I like this phone more than my iPhone because I've made it perfect looking and functioning except for this screen bug

sigh...

Some people said it has the english option.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 21, 2006
629 posts
93 upvotes
GTA
kevinlekiller wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 8:21 pm
Some people said it has the english option.

do you have any easy instructions on how to use *odin* and flash that firmware? I',m willing to risk it away from home lol