Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy Ace Technical Thread (Split from the "Hot Deals" thread by qca7e)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2013 9:37 am
Tags:
None
Jul 20, 2003
923 posts
56 upvotes
Surrey
qca7e wrote:
Dec 8th, 2011 12:41 am
If it says ON ==> Your phone is still locked ==> How did you enter code?
i did and it took the code. but when i remove the sim and checked it back it says "network lock ON".
Jul 20, 2003
923 posts
56 upvotes
Surrey
IanXP wrote:
Dec 8th, 2011 12:42 am
not sure how to explain this but it showed network lock on mine too on the home page, just slide your finger to the right to unlock (ie. to get to the next page), hopefully it'll now show that it is unlocked

which home page? are you getting the lock on when you press the *#7465625#
Jan 29, 2007
133 posts
83 upvotes
Matrix_dot_ca wrote:
Dec 8th, 2011 12:45 am
i did and it took the code. but when i remove the sim and checked it back it says "network lock ON".

maybe you did typo ==> after unlock ==> what if you don't remove SIM ==> does it work?
Jul 20, 2003
923 posts
56 upvotes
Surrey
qca7e wrote:
Dec 8th, 2011 12:48 am
maybe you did typo ==> after unlock ==> what if you don't remove SIM ==> does it work?

no it wasn't a typo i'm sure of that. Using a TELUS SIM i got emergency calls only or poor signal. No incoming or outgoing calls.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
Matrix_dot_ca wrote:
Dec 8th, 2011 12:56 am
no it wasn't a typo i'm sure of that. Using a TELUS SIM i got emergency calls only or poor signal. No incoming or outgoing calls.

Telus is the same as Koodo. IOW, you don't even need to unlock in order to use Telus SIM. Unless this Ace is using different mechanism.
Jul 20, 2003
923 posts
56 upvotes
Surrey
chimp wrote:
Dec 8th, 2011 1:14 am
Telus is the same as Koodo. IOW, you don't even need to unlock in order to use Telus SIM. Unless this Ace is using different mechanism.

That what i thought at the beginning. But you have to have it unlocked to use a TELUS sim
Jan 29, 2007
133 posts
83 upvotes
Matrix_dot_ca wrote:
Dec 8th, 2011 12:56 am

no idea then ==> maybe try entering unlock code in dialer?

my phone locks went to off after unlock
Oct 22, 2008
131 posts
11 upvotes
I was able to get this phone via BB with the 100GC. I paid the 150 tab and planning to terminate this within the month.

BTW I have some questions regarding rooting prior to unlocking???

I downloaded the file root_gb_ace(2).zip and put it to the root directory of the micro SD.

Then I turn on the unit by holding the home and power button at the same time.

And this is what I see on the screen.

Android system recovery <3e>
Android system recovery utility

reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
test redbend fota[FS]

Question 1 can I use update from sdcard? I No root_gb_ace(2).zip option on the list as stated on the guide.
Question 2 can I skip the rooting procedure and just go direct to unlocking process . If I do not wish to upgrade to CyanogenMod?
Question 3 can I unroot or undo this later? for warranty purpose. If yes where can I find the procedure?

Thanks! hope Someone will answer this.
Feb 27, 2005
349 posts
12 upvotes
jimmylr wrote:
Dec 9th, 2011 5:29 am

Question 1 can I use update from sdcard? I No root_gb_ace(2).zip option on the list as stated on the guide.
Question 2 can I skip the rooting procedure and just go direct to unlocking process . If I do not wish to upgrade to CyanogenMod?
Question 3 can I unroot or undo this later? for warranty purpose. If yes where can I find the procedure?

Thanks! hope Someone will answer this.

1) Yes apply from SDCard
2) No, you need super user so you can copy the image to the SD Card to get the unlock code
3) Not entirely sure, but I think you can but its a bit of a pain, try google
Oct 22, 2008
131 posts
11 upvotes
wup wrote:
Dec 9th, 2011 12:07 pm
1) Yes apply from SDCard
2) No, you need super user so you can copy the image to the SD Card to get the unlock code
3) Not entirely sure, but I think you can but its a bit of a pain, try google

thanks for replying. Iam now using my rogers shim now! :-)
[OP]
Banned
Aug 21, 2006
629 posts
93 upvotes
GTA
also many many thanks to kevinlekiller for the baseband information and files. I wouldn't have been able to solve the gps/other issues without it. Many hours saved.

:)
[OP]
Banned
Aug 21, 2006
629 posts
93 upvotes
GTA
bleuwave wrote:
Dec 11th, 2011 9:41 pm
Wake up delay fix -

Just installed this - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... stcount=20

and wake up delay is completely gone.

make sure you don't install the baseband from that post (refers to "Phone" on Odin)

edit: this is now a perfect phone.

also, tip - install flash 10.1 instead of the crap flash version 11 linked in this thread. flash 10.1 is better and works good on our phones. I only use it for tinyshark though.

after a ton of testing today, the above linked is probably the best OS our phone can have for now.

It's a stock rom without any annoying boot animation, no screen wake up lag, with apps to sd. also shows network provider properly.
this is a long term keeper. I probably wont be changing roms now that I've researched a ton and feel like there are no more issues.
also, the animations feels faster and normal and not laggy like what i had with the cyanogenmod IC2. everyone seemed to brag about it, but honestly speaking, it's not as great as I would like to admit due to some lag issues.

also, feel free to ask me any questions about this.
Mar 28, 2005
491 posts
3 upvotes
Anyone knows how to get Flash to work on this phone? I detailed step by step guide would be greatly appreciated :D
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3891 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
bleuwave wrote:
Dec 11th, 2011 11:50 pm
does it have the screen on delay?

It takes one sec for the screen to turn on, I don't mind that at all. It's still faster than my iPhone 3g, "TheMyth ICS - Lite" is as close as stock as I have seen so far. It is super fast I will update about the battery, everyone metions that the battery on this rom lasts the longest. The icecream sunday rom was ok but after a while the phone would start to lag and was a battery killer. This rom is basic and nice and fast.