Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 thread - August 9th

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 12:23 pm
Dec 10, 2014
469 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone know if the BMO SPC card will work for the 10% off?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3975 posts
1011 upvotes
Toronto
McGarnagle wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 3:43 pm
Anyone know if the BMO SPC card will work for the 10% off?
Yes it will.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1414 posts
880 upvotes
Montreal
Is there a page that lists how many years of feature/security updates the Note 9 will get? Like the page Google puts out for the Nexus/Pixel phones.
Jan 13, 2014
946 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
FrancisBacon wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 4:04 am
Is there a page that lists how many years of feature/security updates the Note 9 will get? Like the page Google puts out for the Nexus/Pixel phones.
No there isn't because there's no guarantee with Android OEMs.

That being said, based on past devices you'll probably get 2 major Android updates considering even the S7 got Oreo despite shipping with Marshmallow. It is still also getting security updates in a semi-timely manner.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3975 posts
1011 upvotes
Toronto
It has arrived.
MB-PF-Header-MemoryCards-100518.jpeg

512GB MicroSD.

1TB of storage in your pocket.

Digital Gluttony!
Sep 27, 2003
9265 posts
2116 upvotes
Newmarket
Finally got my $200 trade in cheque from Clover.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4668 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
why is there no hotspot shortcut in the drop down menu (grid) Disappointed Face
Sep 27, 2003
9265 posts
2116 upvotes
Newmarket
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 14th, 2018 12:52 am
why is there no hotspot shortcut in the drop down menu (grid) Disappointed Face
If you Google it, you'll find the ADB command to restore it.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Oct 11, 2010
139 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
Looking to upgrade from a Galaxy S5 all the way up to a Note 9 (Oh boy!). So... what route should I go? Should I head down to the Rogers store and slap my credit card on the table, demanding their most expensive Android? Or should I go online to Best Buy (or other, please recommend!) and buy one that is unlocked? What kind of bloatware can I expect from Rogers vs Unlocked? Are there any hardware differences? Will I get better support going through Rogers, or is there any benefit in this regard to going unlocked?

Thanks guys! :)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17140 posts
1459 upvotes
Woodbridge
Is the $200 trade-in still active if so just buy it at Samsung Store.

Ask them too about the 30% accessories with purchase.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Feb 17, 2013
218 posts
72 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
bembol wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 7:08 pm
Is the $200 trade-in still active if so just buy it at Samsung Store.

Ask them too about the 30% accessories with purchase.
I bought Note 9 from Samsung experience store downtown (Eaton) on Oct 11 and I specifically ask for 30% off for accessories & the rep said No, they don't have such promotions.Angry Face
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17140 posts
1459 upvotes
Woodbridge
If it's not out of your way, try Sherway or Yorkdale. It's were I got my accessories, 30% off.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4606 posts
693 upvotes
The staff at Yorkdale are ill-informed... basically they don't pay these people enough so expect to get the same level of service as McD.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3975 posts
1011 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 10:49 am
The staff at Yorkdale are ill-informed... basically they don't pay these people enough so expect to get the same level of service as McD.
It's not about them being uninformed, just the guy they got managing the store is focusing on his store numbers. (Commission $$$)

I went in the other day to either stack the SPC discount onto the iPhone launch sale or just get the additional $20+ something back. Also wanted to add the MobileCare Plan.

They refused to adjust the price. Said the trade in was unique to the original store that sold me the Note 9 but they could sell me the MobileCare.

I told them I'll pass and head to Sherway (original store).

He then asked if it's even worth the time and gas to drive to Sherway?

Maybe, maybe not. But I wanted to know for sure if they were trying to avoid a return on their end.

Get to Sherway, they adjusted the SPC, sold me the MobileCare and told me Yorkdale could have done it. Also offered me 30% off on additional accessories.

They have the former manager from Bose Store at Yorkdale running the Samsung Store. Plus keep in mind these stores are run by Gentel, who runs Wireless Wave and Telephone Booth.

They are commission run stores that will try to pass the buck for customer service issues in order to protect their numbers.

If the 512GB wasn't exclusive to Samsung Stores, I would have bought it elsewhere.
Sep 7, 2014
277 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Hi guys. I just upgraded to this great phone from the Pixel 2XL. It's been one week now and still can't 100% get used to it as a whole. It's a great phone, but still I have the feeling that the upgrade was early as the pixel 2XL is still new. Any one here in the same situation who upgraded from Pixel 2XL? What's your opinion?

Thanks