Samsung Galaxy Note 9 thread - August 9th

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 12:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4606 posts
693 upvotes
Bunch of Bixby updates at the Samsung App Store...
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4668 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
NEED HELP: Weird issue here guys. Just now, some of my apps aren't connecting via wifi. Only some like games and social apps like rfd, reddit, imgur, and tinder. Chrome is a no go but apps like gmail and whatsapp are fine.

did not install any apps or change any settings. just happened suddenly

don't think its my home wifi issue as it is working as usual on my laptop.

Anyone have a fix?

EDIT: nvm, it was my modem. Just restarted and its fine now. phew
Jun 18, 2015
162 posts
109 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
So is the camera freezing issue a prevalent issue with this phone or is this a case of a loud minority?
Jan 13, 2014
946 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
6o4boi wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 3:00 pm
So is the camera freezing issue a prevalent issue with this phone or is this a case of a loud minority?
Should have been fixed with the October update. A lot of people in the US don't have that update so they are likely the ones complaining.

No issues on mine with the latest update
Aug 18, 2018
452 posts
251 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
6o4boi wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 3:00 pm
No camera issues on 512GB Verizon US model flashed to unlocked U1 and don't have the October update. Btw Verizon has already released the October update, and there are workarounds to get the update if you're not a Verizon customer. Don't think it's a loud minority, but probably also not as widespread as the internet would make you think it is.

Reading through that giant Samsung community thread, this guy might be on to something here: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Gal ... true#M4275

FWIW only 10 apps have camera permission on my phone, and not one of them is a social media app. Could also try the fix here that seems to work for a few people: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpo ... tcount=139
GV/Hangouts + T-Mobile $10/2GB Simple Choice = Win
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17139 posts
1458 upvotes
Woodbridge
Technology can be a bitch sometimes.

They make these phones Water Resistant, IP68, etc. and now I have issues where the charging port won't work because it detects moisture. This happened to my LG V30 too.

It's been a few days since I used it the shower. Now it won't charge I tried clearing the USB data, read it on Google. Restarting it. Nothing.

This is a PITA. Time to drop by SAMSUNG service centre.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Aug 18, 2018
452 posts
251 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Maybe try wireless charging if you have one
GV/Hangouts + T-Mobile $10/2GB Simple Choice = Win
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17139 posts
1458 upvotes
Woodbridge
I do have the SAMSUNG when I got the 9.

I just hate this and I called they day or may not be covered if there's liquid damage?!? I couldn't help but laugh when the agent said it.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jan 13, 2014
946 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
bembol wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 1:33 pm
I do have the SAMSUNG when I got the 9.

I just hate this and I called they day or may not be covered if there's liquid damage?!? I couldn't help but laugh when the agent said it.
That is correct. Manufacturers don't warranty against liquid damage even if there is an IP-rating. Those certifications are done in laboratory-controlled conditions with devices submerged in freshwater.

Even Samsung's support page (and the manuals themselves) say the following:
Do not expose the device to water moving with force, such as water running from a tap, ocean waves, or waterfalls.

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobi ... tion-ip68/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4606 posts
693 upvotes
It's just them wanting to CYA. I brought the phone out to the sea to snap some pics and it still works fine.
Jan 13, 2014
946 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
mebiuspower wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 4:31 pm
It's just them wanting to CYA. I brought the phone out to the sea to snap some pics and it still works fine.
So do you know that the saltwater / environment did not have an impact on the water resistant sealing? Doubtful!

That's exactly why they cannot easily warranty liquid damage. Maybe you dropped the phone as well (which again could compromise the seal).
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2712 posts
594 upvotes
Quebec
My 2 years contract with telus corporates will expire in december, still no deal on the note 9. Why this phone so expensive
Jan 13, 2014
946 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
It's a premium phone, and Samsung still sells enough at the high price, probably.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17139 posts
1458 upvotes
Woodbridge
HyperTech wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 5:51 pm
My 2 years contract with telus corporates will expire in december, still no deal on the note 9. Why this phone so expensive
Blame Apple for setting the standard. LOL

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

The Philosopher