[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25108 posts
5561 upvotes
GTHA

Samsung Galaxy Note8 Thread - Launching September 15, 2017

Samsung Galaxy Note8 First Look | Consumer Reports
Samsung releases its first Note smartphone since recalling the Note7 following battery fires last year. Consumer Reports experts check out some of the phone's new features, including the first dual camera on a Samsung phone.

Last edited by tk1000 on Jul 18th, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
395 replies
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1185 posts
295 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Galaxy Note 8 is promising. Hopefully they'll have Bixby done right this time.

Edit: retail price $1350 on Bell.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Jul 19th, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
3979 posts
306 upvotes
mobifree wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 10:45 pm
They'll all be priced over $1000.
Over $1000 Cdn, acceptable considering my Samsung S8+ msrp is $1115 CDN, over $1000 US is bonkers, though I read today JP Morgan expects iPhone 8 to be $1100 USD

I think Note 8 will be a bit more than S8+ but not too much, at least I hope
Mar 22, 2013
898 posts
201 upvotes
Markham
I guess nowadays the more expensive a phone is, the more premium it'll appear to the consumer. It's a race to be the most expensive phone in the market lol.
====================================

Samsung S8+ (Black)

Koodo Mobile
$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan

====================================
Jul 27, 2015
144 posts
28 upvotes
British Columbia
Desktop and laptops got cheaper over the decades. While cell phones increased =(
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12429 posts
4023 upvotes
Oakville
chilli604 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 2:35 am
Desktop and laptops got cheaper over the decades. While cell phones increased =(
I've said it before, I'll say it again - cell phone prices haven't really increased at all over the last 5 years. The entry level iPhone has remained at $649US for years and years now, so technically, if you count inflation, they've gotten cheaper (in USD). BUT, because the Canadian dollar is in the crapper right now vs when it was at or above par 5 years ago, phones are more expensive for Canadians.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4283 posts
487 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:12 am
I've said it before, I'll say it again - cell phone prices haven't really increased at all over the last 5 years. The entry level iPhone has remained at $649US for years and years now, so technically, if you count inflation, they've gotten cheaper (in USD). BUT, because the Canadian dollar is in the crapper right now vs when it was at or above par 5 years ago, phones are more expensive for Canadians.
Looks like someone paid attention in econ class.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1185 posts
295 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
wearysky wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:12 am
Exchange rate is certainly a factor.

But, many phones are more expensive in Canada than in the US or India for none a good reason, even after factoring in the exchange rate.

I'm suspecting that phone prices are higher here than international MRSP to allow carriers to lock customers in at a higher ransom. Granted, benefits of shopping here for phones is warranty and LTE band support, but aside that, other markets get tempting price-wise.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12429 posts
4023 upvotes
Oakville
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 5:29 pm
I'm suspecting that phone prices are higher here than international MRSP to allow carriers to lock customers in at a higher ransom.
That would make sense if phones were only available from carriers. But Apple/Samsung/Google/HTC all sell phones direct, unlocked, as well, at the same MSRP. You see the same thing with other consumer goods as well - camera gear, for example, is often marked up above standard currency conversion as well. That's because they're trying to hedge their bets in case the CAD plummets even further (and also why not take a bit more profit, while they can, and blame it on the dollar? :))
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1185 posts
295 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
wearysky wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 10:31 am
That would make sense if phones were only available from carriers. But Apple/Samsung/Google/HTC all sell phones direct, unlocked, as well, at the same MSRP. You see the same thing with other consumer goods as well - camera gear, for example, is often marked up above standard currency conversion as well. That's because they're trying to hedge their bets in case the CAD plummets even further (and also why not take a bit more profit, while they can, and blame it on the dollar? :))
Plus carriers are in favour of this :o
Jul 5, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
I hope Samsung will announce the Note 7 refurbs coming to North America
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1383 posts
408 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
I really need to upgrade my Note 3 as it is dying... hoping it won't cost too much!
Jul 27, 2015
144 posts
28 upvotes
British Columbia
MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 5:08 pm
I really need to upgrade my Note 3 as it is dying... hoping it won't cost too much!
If you don't wanna pay s8+ price. Then note 8 will be out of the picture
I had a note 3 and it crapped out. So I had to settle for s8+. No regrets at all!