omg didnt see that thank you!
Never Trade What You Want Most ,For What You Want In The Moment
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2040 posts
119 upvotes
jtcb wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 1:25 pm
Can someone hook me up with a Note 8 if you are getting it from the US? Don't want to pay for the MSRP here in Canada.

Also, anyone saw the LG V30 announcement and changing their mind?
You are not saving much... actually even worse as you will have no warranty for it by just buying it
its only worth it if you are going to do the trade-in... which is pain in the azz... trust me on this ITS PAINFUL
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12441 posts
4034 upvotes
Oakville
Double_J wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 8:17 pm
That screen looks incredible. Unfortunately my work went with s7's so I have to wait awhile before we can upgrade.
Hey, I'm still using an S5 Neo for my work phone, so... :P
Public Mobile
Jul 30, 2017
86 posts
15 upvotes
jtcb wrote:
Frankly, not really. Yes, the V30 looks great and looks like it matches S8/Note 8 in almost all categories, beating it in audio with a hi fi dac. The concern with LG is that they have a history of questionable quality control - especially on the software side. The G4 and even some G5s were plagued with boot loop issues that could not be resolved, and several people that had the V20 reported that after months of use, software related issues made the phone virtually un-usable. There aren't any reports of this type of issue on the G6 that I've seen, but I am still leery given LG's history, and the fact that something like that isn't something you'd know about until after you're outside of the return period and would be stuck dealing with warranty support.

It also depends on pricing. The estimates that several sites have is that the V30 will be listed at about $850 USD. That's only going to make it $100 cheaper in Canada - and that assumes it even comes to Canada given that the V10 didn't and the V20 only really became available 6+ months after launch. If it was closer to $300 cheaper, I think it would be compelling, but for a $100 variance, I'd rather have the larger screen, the S-Pen, and the more consistent quality of going with Samsung over LG. Not only that, but you can get a S8+ for cheaper than the projected V30 price, and if you don't care about the S-Pen, I think that's the better buy unless you desperately want the audio dac or have an extreme aversion to curved screens.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4325 posts
513 upvotes
johnmoon wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 8:27 pm
You are not saving much... actually even worse as you will have no warranty for it by just buying it
its only worth it if you are going to do the trade-in... which is pain in the azz... trust me on this ITS PAINFUL
You know what's the best way to save money? Don't buy it.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17672 posts
1306 upvotes
jtcb wrote:
Can someone hook me up with a Note 8 if you are getting it from the US? Don't want to pay for the MSRP here in Canada.

How much are you offering?
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
5061 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver
Haz wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 11:02 pm
How much are you offering?
I haven't really thought about it.

If Samsung's MSRP for the SD card and wireless charger is $129.99 each, that means the actual cost of the phone alone is $1041.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17672 posts
1306 upvotes
jtcb wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 11:47 pm
I haven't really thought about it.

If Samsung's MSRP for the SD card and wireless charger is $129.99 each, that means the actual cost of the phone alone is $1041.
Charging pad is on sale for $75 right now.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/productde ... u=10655697

And 128GB cards can be had for $40 every now and then.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6744 posts
969 upvotes
Had a few LG made Google Nexus phones and they were not without problems, especially the weak battery but they didn't get the boot loop. At this point, I'm looking forward to the Pixel 2 XL which is rumoured to be made by LG again and likely heavily based on the G6/V30 but likely cheaper.
jdh799 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 10:22 pm
Frankly, not really. Yes, the V30 looks great and looks like it matches S8/Note 8 in almost all categories, beating it in audio with a hi fi dac. The concern with LG is that they have a history of questionable quality control - especially on the software side. The G4 and even some G5s were plagued with boot loop issues that could not be resolved, and several people that had the V20 reported that after months of use, software related issues made the phone virtually un-usable. There aren't any reports of this type of issue on the G6 that I've seen, but I am still leery given LG's history, and the fact that something like that isn't something you'd know about until after you're outside of the return period and would be stuck dealing with warranty support.

It also depends on pricing. The estimates that several sites have is that the V30 will be listed at about $850 USD. That's only going to make it $100 cheaper in Canada - and that assumes it even comes to Canada given that the V10 didn't and the V20 only really became available 6+ months after launch. If it was closer to $300 cheaper, I think it would be compelling, but for a $100 variance, I'd rather have the larger screen, the S-Pen, and the more consistent quality of going with Samsung over LG. Not only that, but you can get a S8+ for cheaper than the projected V30 price, and if you don't care about the S-Pen, I think that's the better buy unless you desperately want the audio dac or have an extreme aversion to curved screens.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jul 30, 2017
86 posts
15 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 3:18 am
Had a few LG made Google Nexus phones and they were not without problems, especially the weak battery but they didn't get the boot loop. At this point, I'm looking forward to the Pixel 2 XL which is rumoured to be made by LG again and likely heavily based on the G6/V30 but likely cheaper.
And you probably wouldn't see it on an LG Nexus anyway since they have Google's stock software,, not LG's UI and boot loops are probably a software issue. I have an LG G5 that sits in my drawer as an emergency backup phone, and it hasn't had any major issues yet (just really questionable battery life).
Jan 13, 2014
597 posts
156 upvotes
Calgary
jdh799 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 5:46 am
And you probably wouldn't see it on an LG Nexus anyway since they have Google's stock software,, not LG's UI and boot loops are probably a software issue. I have an LG G5 that sits in my drawer as an emergency backup phone, and it hasn't had any major issues yet (just really questionable battery life).
Bootloops were definitely a hardware issue. Affected G4, G5, V10. Nexus 5x. Can't say it was a software issue when in a lot of cases you could get them to power up if put in the freezer (used that trick to recover data off a few G4s that were bootlooping)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6744 posts
969 upvotes
On the Nexus 6P and 5X, they have proven that it was indeed a hardware issue, some cores on the main chip were bad and if you hack the phone and shutdown those cores, the problem goes away. However, so would preformance on the phone as well but it doesn't loop or drain your battery.
Devhux wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 7:44 am
Bootloops were definitely a hardware issue. Affected G4, G5, V10. Nexus 5x. Can't say it was a software issue when in a lot of cases you could get them to power up if put in the freezer (used that trick to recover data off a few G4s that were bootlooping)
Last edited by hdom on Sep 1st, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2040 posts
119 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 3:18 am
I highly doubt that you will see 'cheaper' phones from Google anymore
they clearly set their bar with google pixel which was the same price level with iPhone
they also tend to keep their price pretty steady like Apple while Samsung / LG discounting their phones constantly
I am pretty sure the price will be the same or even higher
I will buy Google phones over Samsung / LG anyday since they can keep their 'high' value relatively well, fastest OS update, security patch
and you get top notch customer service like Apple (Samsung customer service is pretty bad and LG is even worse)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6744 posts
969 upvotes
Didn't mean it will come out with early Nexus model like prices since that ship has sailed however the rumor is the Pixel 2 would have less features than the V30 (RAM/Dual Cam). So, by all indication, it will be a solid premium but mid-range spec phone, so the MSPR should reflect that.
johnmoon wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 1:35 pm
I highly doubt that you will see 'cheaper' phones from Google anymore
they clearly set their bar with google pixel which was the same price level with iPhone
they also tend to keep their price pretty steady like Apple while Samsung / LG discounting their phones constantly
I am pretty sure the price will be the same or even higher
I will buy Google phones over Samsung / LG anyday since they can keep their 'high' value relatively well, fastest OS update, security patch
and you get top notch customer service like Apple (Samsung customer service is pretty bad and LG is even worse)