Samsung Galaxy Note8 Thread - Launching September 15, 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 9:21 am
Jul 30, 2017
86 posts
15 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 2:24 pm
Didn't mean it will come out with early Nexus model like prices since that ship has sailed however the rumor is the Pixel 2 would have less features than the V30 (RAM/Dual Cam). So, by all indication, it will be a solid premium but mid-range spec phone, so the MSPR should reflect that.
The current Pixel also had mediocre hardware specs compared to the S7, V20, iPhone 7, etc, etc. - an ugly dated looking chasis with huge bezels, no waterproofing, no wireless charge, no SD card slot (and a large premium to get more built in storage), etc. However, it had an MSRP at or above those other devices (and the price never really dropped until recently unlike the S7/V20). Google feels they can charge the premium for buying directly from them and the stock android design/early update access. They were selling it last year to the point they couldn't meet the demand, so there's no reason to think they will do anything different with the Pixel 2.

In general, the Pixel was a poor value last year in terms of price to feature set, and will probably be a poor value this year as well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6744 posts
969 upvotes
Well aware, just reporting part of the rumor that they may price the Pixel 2 a bit better this time since they know it was poor value and their sale probably suffered compared to previous models. They know the Pixels that got sold were probably riding on failed Note 7 and non-exciting iPhone 7. This year will be different with the strong Note 8, V30 & multiple iPhones to be released at the same time.
jdh799 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 4:26 pm
The current Pixel also had mediocre hardware specs compared to the S7, V20, iPhone 7, etc, etc. - an ugly dated looking chasis with huge bezels, no waterproofing, no wireless charge, no SD card slot (and a large premium to get more built in storage), etc. However, it had an MSRP at or above those other devices (and the price never really dropped until recently unlike the S7/V20). Google feels they can charge the premium for buying directly from them and the stock android design/early update access. They were selling it last year to the point they couldn't meet the demand, so there's no reason to think they will do anything different with the Pixel 2.

In general, the Pixel was a poor value last year in terms of price to feature set, and will probably be a poor value this year as well.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16308 posts
1074 upvotes
Woodbridge
Tried it.

Feels weird and $749 to upgrade.

I doubt Samsung Store will bring back the $200 trade-in.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2403 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 6:55 pm
Tried it.

Feels weird and $749 to upgrade.

I doubt Samsung Store will bring back the $200 trade-in.
Why not grab the US deal?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26150 posts
6047 upvotes
GTHA
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 8:30 pm
Why not grab the US deal?
afaik, there is no warranty in Canada for them
May 23, 2008
449 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
If they ship on Friday 15th, obviously we aren't getting it until after the weekend.

I'm wondering if I pre-ordered from a Best Buy store for in-store pickup, maybe I'd actually get it in my hands on the weekend?

Best Buy also has a $50 accessory credit if you activate in store, but I plan to buy unlocked & pop my Telus SIM into it - I doubt that's what they mean by "activation" :-)

Any thoughts?
Jul 30, 2017
86 posts
15 upvotes
There's all kinds of reports on Youtube/social media of people who pre-ordered with US carriers like Verizon and T-Mobile already getting tracking numbers for their phones being shipped, and speculation that they may actually get them by mid next week. It will be interesting to see if this will happen in Canada too. When I pre-ordered with Eastlink, they had me set up an appointment to pick it up on Sept 15, and seemed 100% confident it would be in by then, so you have to wonder if they will actually get them a week earlier.
Apr 10, 2009
191 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
i really hope we get our preorder before the 15 lol! earlier than better as i already bought cases and screen protector for it. i hope someone can help me with this but does the note 8 infinity display have the same curve as a the s8+? or less steep ,also i'm wondering as anyone use the samsung dex and know which case are compatible? thanks!
Never Trade What You Want Most ,For What You Want In The Moment
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1744 posts
560 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
So I called the Rogers store near me and they told me they don't know when they will receive the Note 8, but that even if they had it they wouldn't be allowed to display it for people to test it.
Is this true?
Apr 10, 2009
191 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
The telus in Georgian mall has the note 8 on display and I play with it for a bit and it felt great in the hand. I appreciate the square design more than the s8+. I might have to go back and check it out again to compare it to s8+ curve displays if they are the same.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
5061 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver
darkanson wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 10:24 am
i really hope we get our preorder before the 15 lol! earlier than better as i already bought cases and screen protector for it. i hope someone can help me with this but does the note 8 infinity display have the same curve as a the s8+? or less steep ,also i'm wondering as anyone use the samsung dex and know which case are compatible? thanks!
What case and screen protector are you using?
Apr 10, 2009
191 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
i bought the Galaxy Note 8 Case, Spigen Rugged Crystal and SPARIN Galaxy note8 Screen Protector [2 Pack]
Jul 30, 2017
86 posts
15 upvotes
Interesting -

The Note 8 is beating both the S8+ and the S7 Edge in battery life tests, despite having a smaller battery than both.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8229 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
johnmoon wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 8:27 pm
You are not saving much... actually even worse as you will have no warranty for it by just buying it
its only worth it if you are going to do the trade-in... which is pain in the azz... trust me on this ITS PAINFUL
One thing... its only ONE year warrenty on a $1500 cell phone!! ggeeezz samsung, you couldn't give us 2 years?
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)