Samsung Galaxy Note8 Thread - Launching September 15, 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 9:06 am
Jul 30, 2017
86 posts
15 upvotes
oooo0000 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 11:50 pm
Have anyone noticed that there is no option to turn off the shutter Volume. If anyone have found a solution then please share here.
Apparently, the ability to turn off the shutter sound is something that Samsung has disabled on all unlocked versions of their phones due to laws in several countries making it illegal (presumably to prevent upskirt, etc. shots). It sounds like it was the same issue with the S8, only some US locked carrier versions have this option enabled, and since all Canadian phones are sold as unlocked now - it's no dice. If you turn system sounds all the way down, it will turn off the shutter sound, but that's the only real workaround.
Jan 9, 2012
6 posts
Can anyone share how you got the unlock code when buying the unlocked note 8 from Best Buy?

I purchased the phone and was told I would receive an e-mail with the unlock code. Haven't received the e-mail. How long did the e-mail take for other people that bought it outright?
Sep 27, 2003
8226 posts
1592 upvotes
Newmarket
amd64now wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 7:57 am
Can anyone share how you got the unlock code when buying the unlocked note 8 from Best Buy?

I purchased the phone and was told I would receive an e-mail with the unlock code. Haven't received the e-mail. How long did the e-mail take for other people that bought it outright?
The phone is already unlocked. I'd encourage you to read the last few pages in the thread.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Jan 9, 2012
6 posts
WorldIRC wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 8:24 am
The phone is already unlocked. I'd encourage you to read the last few pages in the thread.
Thanks for replying. I did read through the thread. My understanding is it will lock to first provider sim inserted. When I need to use different provider, I will require unlock code. Rep at Best Buy said the same and I would get e-mail with unlock code. A little confused
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8229 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
amd64now wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 9:00 am
Thanks for replying. I did read through the thread. My understanding is it will lock to first provider sim inserted. When I need to use different provider, I will require unlock code. Rep at Best Buy said the same and I would get e-mail with unlock code. A little confused
Wasn't there a piece of paper that came with the phone with the unlock code written on it ? btw.

let us know if you get the unlock code? you can push to get one today, by saying you need the unlock code because you are flying over seas on a business trip and you would need the unlock code to use for the sim card.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Jan 9, 2012
6 posts
akito925 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 9:37 am
Wasn't there a piece of paper that came with the phone with the unlock code written on it ? btw.

let us know if you get the unlock code? you can push to get one today, by saying you need the unlock code because you are flying over seas on a business trip and you would need the unlock code to use for the sim card.
No paper with unlock code. I went through everything in the box and nothing with unlock code. They gave me the box with the phone and that was it. Mentioned I would get code via e-mail. I will wait until tomorrow and if nothing go back to the store and ask.
Sep 27, 2003
8226 posts
1592 upvotes
Newmarket
amd64now wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 9:00 am
If you had read through, you would see that all Note 8 devices are being sold as Network Unlocked meaning no code is required. Your phone will still brand to the carrier of the first SIM, but it will remain SIM unlocked.

Check your box, you will see an "NU" marking on it.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8226 posts
1592 upvotes
Newmarket
akito925 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 9:37 am

This is simply not correct. See my response above.
RFD Forums Moderator
Jan 9, 2012
6 posts
WorldIRC wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 10:12 am
If you had read through, you would see that all Note 8 devices are being sold as Network Unlocked meaning no code is required. Your phone will still brand to the carrier of the first SIM, but it will remain SIM unlocked.

Check your box, you will see an "NU" marking on it.
Thanks, I will check my box for the marking.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1314 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
My note 8 is from bell but was wondering if I should insert a different carrier sim when I first boot it up? Would Public Mobile have less bloatware than Bell?
Sep 27, 2003
8226 posts
1592 upvotes
Newmarket
jindogae wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 12:35 pm
My note 8 is from bell but was wondering if I should insert a different carrier sim when I first boot it up? Would Public Mobile have less bloatware than Bell?
There's not much Bell bloat...couple apps, all of which can be disabled, and a couple widgets, all of which can be removed like any other widget.

If you're using Bell, you should stick with the Bell customization to ensure VoLTE works.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 21, 2017
6 posts
Hi everyone,

Anyone ordered Samsung note 8 from their official website and receive free gifts (WIreless charger and 128gb card) ?
Sep 5, 2007
51 posts
toronto,
oooo0000 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 9:58 pm
Hi everyone,

Anyone ordered Samsung note 8 from their official website and receive free gifts (WIreless charger and 128gb card) ?
Yes I have and pre ordered online thru samsung.ca It's weird that i didn't get samsung notification but rather notification from UPS. Got the freebies last week. So far happy with it.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17674 posts
190 upvotes
YVR
Where is the cheapest place to buy an unlocked Note 8 in Canada? I think I also read on RFD it's slightly cheaper in the US? What's the best pricing for an unlocked Note 8 in the US?

Thanks!