Samsung Galaxy Note8 Thread - Launching September 15, 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 9:21 am
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17647 posts
188 upvotes
YVR
Does anyone here know what the latency of the Note 8's screen is? Both Apple and Microsoft bragged about the low latency of their styluses and I think it's in the 20ms range. I'm curious what it is for the Note 8 and whether there's any lag when writing on it.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2405 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 2:39 am
Where is the cheapest place to buy an unlocked Note 8 in Canada? I think I also read on RFD it's slightly cheaper in the US? What's the best pricing for an unlocked Note 8 in the US?

Thanks!
It's $999 USD + state taxes.

Plus factor conversion of foreign currency and foreign transaction fees.

It's best to try on Kijiji if you want one that is unlocked for less than retail value.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4013 posts
312 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 7:55 am
It's $999 USD + state taxes.

Plus factor conversion of foreign currency and foreign transaction fees.

It's best to try on Kijiji if you want one that is unlocked for less than retail value.
Too dangerous to buy a $1300-$1500 phone on kijiji due to very real risk of blacklist
Sep 5, 2007
51 posts
toronto,
can anyome recommend a good glass screen protector?
I bought one from.amazon.ca the aukley brand but the touch screen is crippled. You need to hard pressed to register on the screen. However the stylus works fine.
Apr 23, 2006
917 posts
69 upvotes
Markham
james23 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 7:51 am
can anyome recommend a good glass screen protector?
I bought one from.amazon.ca the aukley brand but the touch screen is crippled. You need to hard pressed to register on the screen. However the stylus works fine.
Some people vouch for the Whitestone Dome, but it's expensive and it's not exactly problem free.
Look it up on XDA.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1314 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
I have the whitestone dome on my note 8 and LOVE it. If feels awesome and it's very responsive. It's compatible with most cases but search youtube to be sure. I used an otterbox alpha on my s7e and it was pure garbage. Neither my wife or I could type on it. I'm not sure any of the screen protectors that are only glued on from the top and bottom are any good.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1747 posts
561 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Seems like Rogers finally shipped my Note 8 that I pre-ordered on August 25th. Still no e-mail from them for the price or tracking or shipping notification. Luckily for me, the UPS app send me notifications for every package delivered to me.
Oct 29, 2015
33 posts
12 upvotes
Are there any deals or promotions currently on with the note 8?
May 15, 2007
265 posts
125 upvotes
Do we always get single sim version when buy these phones officially in Canada?
Sep 27, 2003
8216 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
mohamade wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:05 pm
Do we always get single sim version when buy these phones officially in Canada?
Correct
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1747 posts
561 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Is there a faster way to turn on/off mobile data than asking " Hi Bixby, can you turn on/off mobile data"?
Takes a lot of steps going through the setting, connection, data usage, turn on/off...

Is there no way to add it in the notification tray at the top along with wifi?
Jul 10, 2013
486 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Any chance that promo with Samsung's free wireless charger and the 128gb micro SD will come back maybe for Black Friday or Boxing day?
Aug 1, 2008
799 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver
Can anyone comment that all major canadian carriers (ie. Rogers, FIdo, Telus, bell) Samsung Note 8 sold phones come automatically unlocked or is one still required to pay to unlock the note 8?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2006
1255 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
The deal is back from samsung store website. I'm still waiting on the note 7 offer.

Charge. Free of charge.
Registration for Galaxy Note8 Pre-order gift with purchase offer extended until October 31, 2017 (11:59PM EST).

In order to complete the redemption process, you will be required to login to your Samsung Account on your Galaxy Note8 by October 31, 2017 (11:59PM EST).
* See full Terms & Conditions for more details.
onlinesurfer wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 5:07 pm
Any chance that promo with Samsung's free wireless charger and the 128gb micro SD will come back maybe for Black Friday or Boxing day?
bahamut_xx
Aug 19, 2014
20 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga, ON
koowhip wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:54 pm
Does anybody recall what deals were available for the Note 5 during the Black Friday after release? I'm considering the Note 8 and was wondering if prices would drop at all this holiday season..
Don't hold me to this, but I got the Note 5 after Black Friday but before Boxing Day. I had the note 5 64 GB version and I believe it was listed at $439 before any promotions.

I looked up my card statement and I paid $200 for it. I seem to recall that I got a $100 off ANY device promotion, so that means the phone was discounted to $299. This was with Rogers.