[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25158 posts
5575 upvotes
GTHA
More information has leaked on Samsung's forthcoming phablet
https://venturebeat.com/2017/08/02/sams ... specs/amp/
Blass writes in a VentureBeat article that according to a person briefed on the device’s final configuration, the Note 8 will be IP68-certified and feature a 6.3-inch SuperAMOLED display, making it just marginally larger than the S8+. Unlike the S8+, however, the corners of the Note 8 are more “squared off,” says Blass, as is typical for the Note line.

As for resolution, the large display comes in at 1440 x 2960 pixel, with a long 18.5:9 aspect ratio.

Internally, the device will feature Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 chipset for U.S. phones (which are usually the variant that Canada receives as well), and the company’s own Exynos 8895 for international models. The processor will be backed by 6GB of RAM — an increase from the S8 — and have 64GB of internal storage expandable by MicroSD.

The camera setup will feature two main rear cameras with 12-megapixel sensors, one of which is wide-angle and will feature an f/1.7 aperture and dual-pixel autofocus. The other camera is a telephoto lens with a f/2.4 aperture and 2x optical zoom. Both cameras have optical image stabilization. Around the front, the selfie cam is 8-megpixel and has a f/1.7 autofocus lens.

Powering all this is a fast-charging 3,300mAh battery that can charge wirelessly or via USB-C.

The phone will reportedly come in ‘Midnight Black’ and ‘Maple Gold’ (shown in the above, previously leaked render), with ‘Orchid Grey’ and ‘Deep Sea Blue’ coming at a later date — though it’s unclear how many of those colours have the potential to arrive in Canada.

from https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/02/sams ... cs-leaked/
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2159 posts
372 upvotes
Guelph
markopas wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 12:02 pm
I was hoping for a phablet where you can put the pen inside the phone like previous models.. this looks just like the s8
What do you mean? Does the S-Pen not insert into the Note 8???
Macreo Photography
Weddings | Commercial | Events | 360° Virtuals
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2159 posts
372 upvotes
Guelph
To avoid disappointment, I have very little expectations for the Note 8. I just need a newer faster upgrade from my Note 4, so that's my hopes with the Note 8.
Macreo Photography
Weddings | Commercial | Events | 360° Virtuals
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12429 posts
4023 upvotes
Oakville
markopas wrote:
I was hoping for a phablet where you can put the pen inside the phone like previous models.. this looks just like the s8
I presume the pen will go inside the phone with this model too.
Public Mobile
Mar 3, 2011
465 posts
180 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:37 pm
I presume the pen will go inside the phone with this model too.
Based on those pictures, there are no comparison models to compare to, plus it doesnt look like there is a spot to put the s-pen - if they had given a picture with the pen coming out of the phone like previous models then I would be less optimistic.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12429 posts
4023 upvotes
Oakville
markopas wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 3:06 pm
Based on those pictures, there are no comparison models to compare to, plus it doesnt look like there is a spot to put the s-pen - if they had given a picture with the pen coming out of the phone like previous models then I would be less optimistic.
If you look at the previously leaked renders, you can see where the pen goes into the phone on the bottom. Why would Samsung EVER release a note with a pen that you couldn't insert into the phone? That makes literally zero sense.
Public Mobile
Apr 23, 2006
903 posts
63 upvotes
Markham
Pretty sure there's a slot to put in the s-pen. It is probably why (other than Note 7 issue) the battery is smaller than the S8+ even though the Note 8 a tad bigger than S8+.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2447 posts
446 upvotes
Quebec
cant wait to buy this device...the only thing i hate about samsung product, is their UI and bloatware.

i wish we can have a stock android on a perfect hardware device like this one.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4284 posts
487 upvotes
markopas wrote:
What are you smoking?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1198 posts
308 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
HyperTech wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:11 pm
cant wait to buy this device...the only thing i hate about samsung product, is their UI and bloatware.

i wish we can have a stock android on a perfect hardware device like this one.
Flash a custom ROM once they become mostly stable.

Then you lose s-pen support, though. I don't think any Note series custom ROM supports the s-pen, but I could be wrong.

I hear that TouchWiz is less heavy on the 2017 Galaxy phones, so I'm optimistic about this flagship.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Jan 20, 2010
201 posts
14 upvotes
3300ma battery on such a big phone. I will pass. sigh, I love my Note 5 in every aspect except its 3000ma battery. I think I am going to get a Chinese phone like Xiaomi or Huawei for my next upgrade. Getting tired to have charge the phone twice a day and have to bring a power bank everywhere.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4284 posts
487 upvotes
gamebird wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 11:26 pm
3300ma battery on such a big phone. I will pass. sigh, I love my Note 5 in every aspect except its 3000ma battery. I think I am going to get a Chinese phone like Xiaomi or Huawei for my next upgrade. Getting tired to have charge the phone twice a day and have to bring a power bank everywhere.
You are assuming there's no new power saving features or increased efficiency on the processor compare to your Note 5.
Apr 23, 2006
903 posts
63 upvotes
Markham
mebiuspower wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:53 am
You are assuming there's no new power saving features or increased efficiency on the processor compare to your Note 5.
Also, due to the aspect ratio of the Note 8 screen, the screen is not actually that much bigger than the Note 5. If my math is right, Note 8 screen is only 10 cm square bigger than the Note 5.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1177 posts
183 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
gamebird wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 11:26 pm
It's 10% bigger than the battery in the S8, and the battery life of the S8 is very good (way better than the Note 5).

I'd bet that the battery life of the Note 8 will be fine.
Jan 20, 2010
201 posts
14 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:53 am
I am not sure how efficient it can be. The screen on time for my Note 5 is only half to my mom's Redmi Note 4x, which is a phone for less than $200.