Samsung Galaxy Note8 Thread - Launching September 15, 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2017 2:03 pm
May 3, 2011
53 posts
2 upvotes
MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 7:31 pm
Been using the phone for 2 weeks now, what an upgrade from the Note 3 lol...

I am not a fan of the curve edges (although I am fine with edge app) and the headphone jack being at the bottom.
I love the S-Pen (I actually prefer to use it instead of my fingers, although it's pretty slow to type on the keyboard with the pen).
Bixby isn't bad either, although I wish it worked with Spotify.
How do you find the battery life? Aw man, they changed the headphone jack to the bottom? I really liked it at the top for my old note 2...

Still deciding if I should get the note 8 :/
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1803 posts
583 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
helloo wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 8:49 pm
How do you find the battery life? Aw man, they changed the headphone jack to the bottom? I really liked it at the top for my old note 2...

Still deciding if I should get the note 8 :/
I charge approximately every 2 days, although I am not a heavy user.
I would need to charge twice a day with my Note 3 lol...

It's a great phone, although I don't like the price.
Since I'm planning to keep it for probably 4-5 years, it hurts a lot less lol.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17712 posts
200 upvotes
YVR
Can anyone here comment on the writing experience with the S-Pen? I've used the pen on both the 2017 iPad Pro and the Surface Pro 5. The writing experience is pretty good. I don't see Samsung advertised the latency on the S-Pen.

Is it possible to delete most if not all of the bloatware and still be able to use Android Pay? I think I read somewhere if devices are rooted then Android Pay won't work.

What is Samsung's official policy with respect to OS updates? Guaranteed 2 years or what?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1803 posts
583 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
No issue with the Samsung Pen for me. If I do a line from the top of the screen to the bottom very fast, I do notice a little delay.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17712 posts
200 upvotes
YVR
I hate to bump this old thread, but am I the only one that's interested in removing as much of the bloatware from the Note 8?

I played around with the S Pen and I have to admit that the writing experience was pretty good. I still think it's better with the Apple Pencil, but the S Pen ain't bad. Is there a list of compatible apps for the pen?

Again, I've asked in the past, but no one have answered it. What is Samsung's policy when it comes to security updates and OS updates?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17712 posts
200 upvotes
YVR
I also read that the Note 8 locks to the first sim card that is inserted into the phone and download the appropriate carrier software. So what happens if I insert a Public Mobile sim card, activate the Note 8, and then insert a Telus sim card? Since Public Mobile doesn't sell a Note 8, I don't think the Note 8 will download any carrier bloatware, but I'm afraid Telus might force the Note 8 to download its apps.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1803 posts
583 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Anyone know if it's possible to zoom with the S-Pen? I like to navigate using it but need to use fingers to zoom in.
Sep 27, 2003
8237 posts
1599 upvotes
Newmarket
Anyone using on Bell? Is VoLTE working for you?
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Sep 27, 2003
8237 posts
1599 upvotes
Newmarket
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:30 am
I also read that the Note 8 locks to the first sim card that is inserted into the phone and download the appropriate carrier software. So what happens if I insert a Public Mobile sim card, activate the Note 8, and then insert a Telus sim card? Since Public Mobile doesn't sell a Note 8, I don't think the Note 8 will download any carrier bloatware, but I'm afraid Telus might force the Note 8 to download its apps.
If there is no Public CSC on the phone, then even if you've used a Public SIM for months, as soon as you insert the TELUS SIM, the phone will customize and wipe. There's honestly not that much bloatware these days and with a tool like Package Disabler Pro, you can basically eliminate everything you don't want without rooting.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8237 posts
1599 upvotes
Newmarket
WorldIRC wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 4:51 pm
On my S7 Edge, S8, and S8+, I've been able to selectively disable Battery Optimizations from apps like Nine (Email), Facebook Messenger, and other apps to ensure they don't go into deep sleep mode (Doze) to ensure timely receipt of emails or Facebook Messenger Messages.

On my Note 8, the menu is unchanged from the other devices, but I noticed the functionality is no longer working. The difference being Android OS 7.1.1 vs. 7.0 on the other devices.

In FB Messenger, the tell is when you open the app after a few minutes, if you see the orange bar that says "connecting to network", you know the app disconnected in deep sleep (Doze). With Battery Optimization disabled for this app, this disconnect should no longer occur, but it is.

In Nine, the tell is when your phone randomly pushes a bunch of emails to you, sometimes 20-30 minutes delayed when on the earlier Samsung models, the emails come in right away. This is not an app-related configuration issue, but Doze issue.

Perhaps a glitch? Has anyone else tested on their Note 8 and experienced the same?

I wouldn't even know how or where to report a bug like this to Samsung.
Never saw an answer on this; I know there's been a few updates since launch so wondering if this was ever resolved. Thoughts?
RFD Forums Moderator
Aug 30, 2011
827 posts
96 upvotes
Edmonton
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 12:43 pm
If there is no Public CSC on the phone, then even if you've used a Public SIM for months, as soon as you insert the TELUS SIM, the phone will customize and wipe. There's honestly not that much bloatware these days and with a tool like Package Disabler Pro, you can basically eliminate everything you don't want without rooting.
Does it seriously wipe everything every time you put in a new carrier SIM?
Sep 27, 2003
8237 posts
1599 upvotes
Newmarket
tablo13 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 7:37 pm
Just the first time you put in a SIM with a matching CSC. After that, you're good.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1803 posts
583 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
tablo13 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 7:37 pm
I learned it the hard way :(
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
1672 posts
1120 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 7:40 pm
Just the first time you put in a SIM with a matching CSC. After that, you're good.
Sorry. What's a matching CSC? I am looking to get a note 8
Aug 30, 2011
827 posts
96 upvotes
Edmonton
WorldIRC wrote:
I bought mine from Koodo and am using with Koodo. Will it wipe if I put in a, for example, Public Mobile SIM?

MoneyHypeMike wrote:

I learned it the hard way :(
Which SIMs did you put in?