Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy S-III vs. Note II? Opinions?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2012 1:46 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 22, 2006
359 posts
3 upvotes

Samsung Galaxy S-III vs. Note II? Opinions?

Hi RFD,

I'm in the market for a new phone and have narrowed it down to the S-III and Note II. Just wondering if anyone's got any experiences using both - perhaps made the switch from an S-III to a Note II. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

i.e. how portable is it compared to the S-III? How useful is the S-Pen functionality? How do you carry the Note 2 around (e.g. in your pockets)?

Thanks!
26 replies
Sep 23, 2005
315 posts
20 upvotes
Calgary
Funny thing I noticed is how some people say the note 2 is big. I compared it with my wife's iphone 5 and its only one finger width wider and about 1.5 finger widths taller.

The S3 is slightly bigger than the iphone 5 right? Also........ what do you want for battery life flexed?

Funny story, I was walking into my office building I work at while people were having their smoke and this cute chick from a different office noticed I had an iphone 5 a few days after they came out. A conversation ensued with her about the iphone and how I recommended it back then. But this same chick was outside last Friday and I just had to update her on how I had to sell the iphone 5 and get my new Samsung phone. I was talking to her about how incredible the battery was on this thing and how it lasts a good 24 hrs and some other guy who was outside about 10 ft away who was eavesdropping on us piped up and started calling me a liar..... he said "Bull, I got the same phone as you and I only get about 6 hrs of use out of mine before the battery dies, what makes your so special?" I just looked over at him and said.... "pfft, we don't have the same phone buddy..... I got a NOTE 2" He just looked at me, paused and went.... "oh" So my point is from a small distance even android users are hard pressed to notice the difference in size between the S3 and note 2. :) My advice, get the note 2.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2006
359 posts
3 upvotes
Nigel wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 9:03 pm
Funny thing I noticed is how some people say the note 2 is big. I compared it with my wife's iphone 5 and its only one finger width wider and about 1.5 finger widths taller.

The S3 is slightly bigger than the iphone 5 right? Also........ what do you want for battery life flexed?

Funny story, I was walking into my office building I work at while people were having their smoke and this cute chick from a different office noticed I had an iphone 5 a few days after they came out. A conversation ensued with her about the iphone and how I recommended it back then. But this same chick was outside last Friday and I just had to update her on how I had to sell the iphone 5 and get my new Samsung phone. I was talking to her about how incredible the battery was on this thing and how it lasts a good 24 hrs and some other guy who was outside about 10 ft away who was eavesdropping on us piped up and started calling me a liar..... he said "Bull, I got the same phone as you and I only get about 6 hrs of use out of mine before the battery dies, what makes your so special?" I just looked over at him and said.... "pfft, we don't have the same phone buddy..... I got a NOTE 2" He just looked at me, paused and went.... "oh" So my point is from a small distance even android users are hard pressed to notice the difference in size between the S3 and note 2. :) My advice, get the note 2.
Thanks for the story - that's pretty funny, haha. Battery life isn't a HUGE deal for me, although 6 hours does seem pretty brutal... is that really the norm for the S3? I usually leave my house at 7am and get home by 7pm, but don't imagine I'd be using my phone a ton while at work from 9-5 (it'd mostly be for my commute).

Do you find the Note 2 tough to carry around? How do you carry it around usually, through a belt holster case type of thing or just in your pocket? (It seems pretty huge for my pocket, I wear somewhat slim-fitting jeans...)

Also, do you find yourself using the S-Pen functionality much, and if so, for what functions?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15084 posts
744 upvotes
Woodbridge
The Battery Life is amazing is so amazing I don't care if I have to carry it all day.

Seriously, unless you're wearing skinny jeans (LOL) you shouldn't have a problem. Besides with the weather dropping it's easier to carry with coats/jackets.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jun 4, 2011
138 posts
27 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
A couple of review sites out there have said pretty much the same thing: the S3 is already past the point of one-handed use for the majority of people, so the Note 2 really doesn't cause a problem that way. Same with putting it in your pocket, like that guy said it's only about a finger width bigger so unless thighhuggers are your thing it won't be an issue. Note 2 has much stronger hardware in every regard including battery, obv it is more expensive too.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
13884 posts
652 upvotes
Markham
still getting used to the s-pen

but this phablet is a beast in both performance and battery life
ShadowVlican
Jun 20, 2009
91 posts
1 upvote
I switched from the S3 to the Note 2 and like what the previous posters have said, carrying it in my pocket is perfectly fine. The Note also has a one hand setting which will shrink the keyboard down a bit so that you can reach the whole keyboard with one hand and it will allow you to move the keyboard left or right depending on which hand you use.

I find the S-Pen pretty gimmicky, but the one feature that I find pretty useful is when browsing websites with dropdown menus where, on a computer, you hover the cursor over and then more options drop down (ie. virignmobile.ca). With the S-Pen, you hover it over the link not touching the screen and it will be like hovering your cursor over. Other than that, its fun to actually write out texts instead of typing/swiping them sometimes.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
85 upvotes
Note 2 !

i switched from note 1 to S3 and now note 2

battery life is amazing compared to the other

if you like to surf the net or youtube, note 2 is just hands down amazing
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
Sep 23, 2005
315 posts
20 upvotes
Calgary
flexed wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 9:19 pm
Thanks for the story - that's pretty funny, haha. Battery life isn't a HUGE deal for me, although 6 hours does seem pretty brutal... is that really the norm for the S3? I usually leave my house at 7am and get home by 7pm, but don't imagine I'd be using my phone a ton while at work from 9-5 (it'd mostly be for my commute).

Do you find the Note 2 tough to carry around? How do you carry it around usually, through a belt holster case type of thing or just in your pocket? (It seems pretty huge for my pocket, I wear somewhat slim-fitting jeans...)

Also, do you find yourself using the S-Pen functionality much, and if so, for what functions?
Hey, no problem, this is one of the only places I feel comfortable telling my life experiences with my awesome note 2 :)

I absolutely LOVE my phone. I even bought a 6500 extended battery off eBay for about 8 bucks with an extended white NFC back plate and I got to admit it doesn't really add that much bulk. Oddly enough my new battery dropped 5% in the first hour of standby on me this weekend when I unplugged but then it has taken over 35 hrs with light usage over this weekend (4G mode only) and its now currently dropped to 80%. So basically I don't find it tough to carry around even with the bigger battery.

S-pen....... after I fixed it's way over sensitivity by adjusting the screws on it I did find myself using it playing angry birds star wars lol. :) I also used it for handwriting my texts every so often. It helps keep my screen clean too lol.
Jun 14, 2008
32 posts
4 upvotes
I downloaded the original Angry Birds and Bad Piggies (another Rovio game) and for some reason neither would work with the S-pen :(
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2482 posts
53 upvotes
I have both ( the wife has an s3). If ur getting a phone get the s3. All the enhancements of the note 2 are not worth the additional price ( s3 was free at one point with contract) and the portability of the s3 is great. That said I love my not 2 it's just a touch too big
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2022 posts
319 upvotes
Guelph
The S3 is awesome. My Note 2 is awesomer. :)
Macreo Photography
Weddings | Commercial | Events | 360° Virtuals
[OP]
Aug 22, 2006
359 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks everyone for the replies! Seems like the majority of you guys tend to favour the Note 2 eh?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6116 posts
708 upvotes
I'd say note 2 is better

-battery, CPU and screen technology is much better
× < >