Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy S3 didn't come with AM/FM radio app? (Rogers)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2013 1:46 am
Tags:
None
Dec 25, 2011
175 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Samsung Galaxy S3 didn't come with AM/FM radio app? (Rogers)

My SG3 didn't come with the AM/FM radio app built in but noticed that most of the videos I've seen are US SG3. As seen on gsm arena, it was included Anyone that also has the SG3, did your phone come with AM/FM radio? or if you know why it didn't come with it let me know. Thanks
26 replies
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mine's the Bell version and it didn't come either. Don't know as to why. I think HTC devices such as the One X and S might have shipped their phones with an AM/FM Radio app? They usually do on their phones.

Your best bet would be and I highly recommend this app, as like the AM/FM radio app it requires a data or WiFi connection. Its called TuneIn Radio. There's a free and pro version. Pro version allows one to record the stream onto their device.

Its pretty neat and you can also stream radio stations from across the globe as well.

Check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nav_result

Features of free version:
• Search for a song, artist or show to find radio stations around the world playing it live
• Pause and rewind any stream (upgrade to TuneIn Radio Pro to record any stream)
• Add stations, songs, and shows to your presets
• Wake up with the alarm clock or fall asleep with the sleep timer
• Plays in the background while you use other apps
Features of pro version:
★ Search for a song, artist or show to find radio stations around the world playing it live

★ Record, pause and rewind any station as you listen *Pro Exclusive!*

★ Tune in to CBS, ESPN, TEDTalks and more!

★ Add stations, songs, and shows to your presets

★ Wake up with the alarm clock. Fall asleep with the sleep timer

★ Play your programs in the background while you use other apps
The pro version is only 99 cents https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... =nav_other

Hope this helps and good luck.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
172 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
pistolz wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2012 9:26 pm
My SG3 didn't come with the AM/FM radio app built in but noticed that most of the videos I've seen are US SG3. As seen on gsm arena, it was included Anyone that also has the SG3, did your phone come with AM/FM radio? or if you know why it didn't come with it let me know. Thanks
My SG3 does come with the FM radio app. My model is GT-I9300 and on Android 4.0.4. It is the international version. I guess the 3 big in Canada do not want you to have the FM radio because they want you to use their own proprietary app.
, Xperia Z1, Note 3, iPhone 5S, LG G3, iPhone 6, Samsung Alpha, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, Galaxy 6, LG G Flex 2
[OP]
Dec 25, 2011
175 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Also the Samsung Galaxy S III I747 (Rogers) is Dual-core while the international I9300 has Quad-core.
Jun 4, 2012
200 posts
4 upvotes
Hong Kong
not sure if Android has TuneIn Radio App but you can listen to FM channels using this.
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rileywai wrote:
Jul 6th, 2012 4:33 am
not sure if Android has TuneIn Radio App but you can listen to FM channels using this.
It does have TuneIn. I use it myself for ages now.
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Gee wrote:
Jul 6th, 2012 8:28 am
TuneIn requires bandwidth. I think the built in FM radio has antennas to pick up local stations and therefore do not require you to consume any data.
Actually the built in FM app does use up bandwidth. I recall as I've noticed when using it with previous HTC devices of mine. Even the carrier built in ones. Its not like in the iPhone where you plug in the headphones and it works.
189 posts
20 upvotes
Kingston
Why would an FM radio app consume data? A legitimate question, what is it doing? The whole point of an FM radio is that it grabs the radio signal. Does your car radio use data too?

Also - the iPhone doesn't have an FM radio.
May 13, 2006
51 posts
10 upvotes
Markham
something I found from a forum.
Dear Bill,

Thank you for your inquiry. We understand that your asking if the Samsung Galaxy S3 U.S. has an FM radio.

Samsung Galaxy S III that is made for US market doesn't have a radio.

All Samsung products are manufactured to the specifications of the service provider for whom they are produced.

We appreciate hearing from our customers, as your comments are vital for us to continue improving our products, as well as our business.

We appreciate your patronage here at Samsung Telecommunications and we strive for the best in customer satisfaction.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Mark
Technical Support
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10903 posts
1322 upvotes
Try the spirit fm radio app in the market. It can re-enable fm radio in phones where the fm radio hardware physically exists, but the carrier removed the fm radio app from the stock Rom
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
2639 posts
194 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Jul 6th, 2012 1:11 pm
Try the spirit fm radio app in the market. It can re-enable fm radio in phones where the fm radio hardware physically exists, but the carrier removed the fm radio app from the stock Rom
cannot find this app. you got the link to this app?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
4784 posts
991 upvotes
Kanata
djemzine wrote:
Jul 6th, 2012 9:28 am
Actually the built in FM app does use up bandwidth. I recall as I've noticed when using it with previous HTC devices of mine. Even the carrier built in ones. Its not like in the iPhone where you plug in the headphones and it works.
I'm on sgs2, and fm radio doesn't use data, that's how fm radio should work.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
× < >