• Jan 24th, 2013 12:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15908 posts
354 upvotes

Samsung Galaxy S3 Factory Reset

Hey everyone, I want to factory reset my S3. It's currently rooted, with stock JB. I think it has CWM.

I factory resetted the phone before, and it was fine. After factory resetting etc, I get daily crashes.

What's the best way to factory reset the phone to prevent things from crashing in the future?

I read from somewhere to use CWM to wipe out the internal data and start from 'fresh.' How should I proceed? Very perplexed here.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15336 posts
561 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Google galaxy s3 toolkit and follow the link to the XDA forums. Download the tool kit and press the options you want.

Back everything up first on your computer as the process will likely wipe everything on your phone.
Stop being lazy RFD and fix the auto subscription nonsense. This is a damn discussion forum.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15908 posts
354 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 11:24 am
Google galaxy s3 toolkit and follow the link to the XDA forums. Download the tool kit and press the options you want.

Back everything up first on your computer as the process will likely wipe everything on your phone.
Thanks evilbaby, will try it when I return home this weekend. I gave the phone to my friend after factory resetting and it crashes daily for him. :(
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1741 posts
335 upvotes
Mississauga
You should wipe /system and then use stock files to restore S3. This will get rid of ANY custom firmware on the phone. However do have all pieces of puzzle in hand before proceeding.
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15908 posts
354 upvotes
AndroidRootGuy wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 5:18 pm
You should wipe /system and then use stock files to restore S3. This will get rid of ANY custom firmware on the phone. However do have all pieces of puzzle in hand before proceeding.
It was never flashed with any ROMs though. Stock ICS/JB since day one. :/
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15908 posts
354 upvotes
Can I just access my CWD and do the following?
6. Select wipe data/factory reset to wipe / reset device.
7. Navigate to the advanced menu.
8. Select Wipe Dalvik Cache to wipe the Dalvik Cache.

this android stuff so confussssing!?!??!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15336 posts
561 upvotes
Niagara Falls
dragon_drift wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:21 pm
Can I just access my CWD and do the following?

this android stuff so confussssing!?!??!
That will wipe most of what is on the phone but that does not put it back to stock Android. Having CWM as your recovery is not stock. You can however have a custom recovery as you do now and the stock Samsung rom. It *should* run normal and well but there are no guarantees.
Stop being lazy RFD and fix the auto subscription nonsense. This is a damn discussion forum.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15908 posts
354 upvotes
I'm not sure I understand.

Does that mean I am required to have the stock ROM downloaded and placed in my ex mem?

I just wanna reset the device and remove the non-factory files.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15336 posts
561 upvotes
Niagara Falls
dragon_drift wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 9:19 pm
I'm not sure I understand.

Does that mean I am required to have the stock ROM downloaded and placed in my ex mem?

I just wanna reset the device and remove the non-factory files.
There are different types of non-factory files.

Rom, recovery and radio.

From what you've posted it doesn't look like you've updated your radio or your rom, but you have changed your recovery.

That's not really an issues.
Like you've already posted, this should do the job. Having a custom Recovery really shouldn't affect anything other than making it easier to upgrade the rom later but more difficult to return to Samsung if needed. If you really want to go back to pure stock you'd have to install the recovery that came with the phone. The Toolkit should have it all for you or there should be instructions on XDA.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15908 posts
354 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 10:07 pm
There are different types of non-factory files.

Rom, recovery and radio.

From what you've posted it doesn't look like you've updated your radio or your rom, but you have changed your recovery.

That's not really an issues.

Like you've already posted, this should do the job. Having a custom Recovery really shouldn't affect anything other than making it easier to upgrade the rom later but more difficult to return to Samsung if needed. If you really want to go back to pure stock you'd have to install the recovery that came with the phone. The Toolkit should have it all for you or there should be instructions on XDA.
Oh. What if I decide to just flash it with CM10? I can remove the non-factory junk in there in the process? I'm just trying to put things together to understand what I'm doing.
× < >