Tags:
None
Dec 22, 2012
262 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga

Samsung Galaxy s3, how to root?

Hi,

used to be an iphone user, now i've switched to android. I always had my iphone jailbroken with each update and now i want to root my S3

However ive heard you can ruin the phone if you run the incorrect install, therefore i wanted to seek help before i attempt this.

If i rooted it today, and tomorrow theres a firmware update do i "lose my root"? meaning, would i have to root it again?

i found this tutorial, would this work? http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-root/ ... oob-proof/

my version is 4.1.1, model number SGH-1747m

If there is another method of doing this please let me know

thanks!
39 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1061 posts
109 upvotes
its simple. Takes 10minutes and I don't know that you can brick your phone while rooting.
Aug 30, 2011
448 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
you didn't provide a reason to root. if you don't know why you want to, you don't need root. sideloading apps and many restricted functions of iOS are standard on android, no root needed
[OP]
Dec 22, 2012
262 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
- ive seen that it is much better on your battery life, other mods are available

- mine is on bell
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11100 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
If I were rooting the phone, I would make sure I knew how to unbrick the phone in case something goes wrong.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
24847 posts
1232 upvotes
Richmond Hill
my sgs3 won't even last 1 day with the battery, hopefully I can root it and put on something more efficient.
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
list of ongoing trades BST
Dec 20, 2011
678 posts
59 upvotes
Calgary
I bought an S3 off kijiji and the seller lied to me about the phone never being rooted. I'm not a power user and I didn't want to buy a previously rooted phone but now I'm stuck with it. Now for damage control. I tried to do a software update add I'm version 4.1.1 and I thought I could update to a newer version but the phone says "device modified" and unable to update. Is this forever? I did a hard reboot, restarted etc. All the things to get it to say normal under device status but to no avail. I know some people were getting that modified status despite never having rooted their phones so I'm going this is some kind of glitch. It's an unlocked Rogers/Fido phone. Please help...
Dec 20, 2011
678 posts
59 upvotes
Calgary
Hi thanks for your reply. Can I do as you've instructed by googling triangle and Odin and following instructions?
Dec 20, 2011
678 posts
59 upvotes
Calgary
Is it possible for the phone to say device modified if it's never been rooted? Do I check for the device status in settings BEFORE buying the phone next time?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11100 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
kotoula wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 4:19 pm
I bought an S3 off kijiji and the seller lied to me about the phone never being rooted. I'm not a power user and I didn't want to buy a previously rooted phone but now I'm stuck with it. Now for damage control. I tried to do a software update add I'm version 4.1.1 and I thought I could update to a newer version but the phone says "device modified" and unable to update. Is this forever? I did a hard reboot, restarted etc. All the things to get it to say normal under device status but to no avail. I know some people were getting that modified status despite never having rooted their phones so I'm going this is some kind of glitch. It's an unlocked Rogers/Fido phone. Please help...
Is the phone running a stock carrier OS? If not, what rom is it running?

Personally, I prefer a re-rooted phone as it allows you to load custom roms, use Titanium Backup, etc.
Dec 20, 2011
678 posts
59 upvotes
Calgary
It says version 4.1.1 so I have no idea how to tell that. The seller told me the OS updated itself.....
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11100 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
kotoula wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 6:41 pm
It says version 4.1.1 so I have no idea how to tell that. The seller told me the OS updated itself.....
Who was the phone's original carrier? 4.1.1 is a very recent OS.
× < >